Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ice Hockey
Camera: K3 Photo Location: Kitchener, Ontario 
Posted By: fwwidall, 12-02-2018, 06:41 PM

Today my grandson's hockey team, the Kitchener Major Midget AA were playing the GLHA Jr. Mustangs Purple at the Kitchener Auditorium. Usually I shoot video and put a short highlight video on YouTube for team and parents.

However the Kitchener Aud is home to the Kitchener Rangers who play in the OHL. Their games are televised so the lighting in the Aud is the best I'm going to get for a minor hockey game. Plus, they only have nets at the end of the rink, so I can avoid having to shoot through the glass from up in the stands.

I took along my K3 and a selection of lenses. My DA*300mm & DA*200mm for shooting from the stands, and my DA70mm & DA15mm for down at ice level.

Hope you like the results.

We won 5-2.

Fred.

Last edited by fwwidall; 12-03-2018 at 09:34 AM. Reason: broken link
Views: 790
12-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great action shots including what looks like a goal that was just scored. Well done!
12-04-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
Today my grandson's hockey team, the Kitchener Major Midget AA were playing the GLHA Jr. Mustangs Purple at the Kitchener Auditorium. Usually I shoot video and put a short highlight video on YouTube for team and parents.

However the Kitchener Aud is home to the Kitchener Rangers who play in the OHL. Their games are televised so the lighting in the Aud is the best I'm going to get for a minor hockey game. Plus, they only have nets at the end of the rink, so I can avoid having to shoot through the glass from up in the stands.

I took along my K3 and a selection of lenses. My DA*300mm & DA*200mm for shooting from the stands, and my DA70mm & DA15mm for down at ice level.

Hope you like the results.
These are delightful shots - even for those of us who don't really understand hockey well enough to know what we are looking at.

What ISO setting were you able to work at?
12-04-2018, 05:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
These are delightful shots - even for those of us who don't really understand hockey well enough to know what we are looking at.

What ISO setting were you able to work at?
Hockey's pretty easy to understand....

You take two gangs of testosterone powered 16 and 17 year males, dress them in body armour, arm them with wooden clubs, and put them on ice skates so they smash into each other at high speed When they're not beating the hell out of each other the object is to get the puck (6oz of very hard rubber) into the net. Each team has 6 players on the ice at one time, a goalie, 2 defence and 3 forwards. There are 6 defence, 9 forwards and two goalie on the team, and substitutions take place every couple of minutes while the game continues. Very fast nonstop action.

Mostly I shot my DA*200mm at F2.8, ISO 1000, 1/800s. I was shooting my DA*300mm at F4, ISO 3200, 1/800s. In most of the small arenas we play I'd have to use ISO 6400 with the DA*200mm.

12-04-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I like them very much! I am sorry there aren't more people in the stands. My son and I would have loved to have been there.
12-05-2018, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
I like them very much! I am sorry there aren't more people in the stands. My son and I would have loved to have been there.
Unless its a tournament, or playoff game, usually just the parents and other family members show up, around 50-100 people. The Aud can seat over 7200 so it looked especially empty. The season runs from late September until early April and the team will play a total of around 60 games with teams from across southern Ontario.

Since you can't make the games you can check out the highlights on my YouTube channel.

Fred.