Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
A History Nearly Forgotten
Lens: DA 15 Camera: K3-II Photo Location: Alberta, Canada ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: Glen, 12-04-2018, 01:38 PM

This is a Ukrainian Catholic Church built in 1914 near the end of the period when hundreds of thousands of people from Ukraine immigrated to Canada. After they built their homes and planted the crops the homestead land the next project was to built either a Ukrainian Catholic (not the same as Roman Catholic) or Orthodox Church. This particular one has large flat stones for a foundation. It is supported in much the same way as a residential deck. It's popular with photographers for many reasons not the least of which is the interesting way that each cross is leaning. Processed in Lightroom.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Views: 560
12-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
It's popular with photographers for many reasons not the least of which is the interesting way that each cross is leaning. Processed in Lightroom.
Anyone interested had better photograph it soon - to me, the building appears to have had limited maintenance {like missing windows} recently.
12-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A History Nearly Forgotten
Think this maybe in the "Des Res" realtor/estate agent speak category of "maybe requiring some cosmetic attention".
12-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #4
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Think this maybe in the "Des Res" realtor/estate agent speak category of "maybe requiring some cosmetic attention".
About ten years ago, my brother and I went looking for an old railroad station. When we did find it, my reaction was "We'd better photograph this today - it may not survive the winter" - it looked a lot like this; my brother was amused to see a 'For Rent' sign on it. I recently went past that point, and the structure was still there - newly painted. Obviously someone had put real work into it; the same could happen here, but it needs a 'someone' to do it before it becomes a pile of firewood.

12-05-2018, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fascinating photographic tale of immigrants wanting to preserve their heritage and time chipping away at it. (As a non native English speaker I got that expression right...)
12-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's all of those things except not likely to be restored. This one has passed it's best before date and will be allowed to fall down unless the snapping of DSLR shutters is enough to support it. There are many others like it, some worse and some not so bad.
12-06-2018, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's all of those things except not likely to be restored. This one has passed it's best before date and will be allowed to fall down unless the snapping of DSLR shutters is enough to support it. There are many others like it, some worse and some not so bad.

Some old structures have to make the sacrifice.... to let time and weather take their toll on it.... so we can enjoy the changes over the seasons. Thanks for sharing the history behind the image.
12-07-2018, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
very nice love the image

12-07-2018, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #9

Nice and appropriate mood in this image, thanks