Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
The Triangulum Galaxy and Orion Nebula from Last Night
Lens: A* 645 300mm F4 Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: My Colorado Backyard ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 12-05-2018, 08:11 AM

Last night was the first clear night since I got my AZ-GTI, a tiny travel GOTO mount.

I still don't have my telescope yet, so I just used my Pentax K-1 and a A* 300mm F4 lens. After a quick and dirty polar alignment, I started imaging. I was able to get 50 second subs, which I am sure will improve when I polar align it correctly (it doesn't come with a polar scope) and take my time to star align it with more stars.

GOTO's were spot on.

I decided to image M33, the Triangulum Galaxy, and also Orion later.

Here is 50 images at 50 seconds each stacked, so a total of 41.6 minutes of imaging. This is a VERY zoomed in image, almost to 100%. I can't wait until my scope gets here!

And here is Orion, same setup as above, but with only 10 stacked frames. My camera battery died while imaging, I was hoping to get a lot more subs.

Orion 10
stacked
by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

My EQG6-R Pro gets here tomorrow and I should have my Stellarvue 80mm Apo in next week. I won't be guiding just yet as business has been very slow lately and I need to save what I have for the rest of the winter. So, I'll be shooting unguided for a while. Atleast I should get good at polar aligning!
Views: 999
12-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Love the star bursts in the Orion picture.
12-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Last night was the first clear night since I got my AZ-GTI, a tiny travel GOTO mount.

I still don't have my telescope yet, so I just used my Pentax K-1 and a A* 300mm F4 lens. After a quick and dirty polar alignment, I started imaging. I was able to get 50 second subs, which I am sure will improve when I polar align it correctly (it doesn't come with a polar scope) and take my time to star align it with more stars.

GOTO's were spot on.

I decided to image M33, the Triangulum Galaxy, and also Orion later.

Here is 50 images at 50 seconds each stacked, so a total of 41.6 minutes of imaging. This is a VERY zoomed in image, almost to 100%. I can't wait until my scope gets here!

And here is Orion, same setup as above, but with only 10 stacked frames. My camera battery died while imaging, I was hoping to get a lot more subs.

Orion 10
stacked
by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

My EQG6-R Pro gets here tomorrow and I should have my Stellarvue 80mm Apo in next week. I won't be guiding just yet as business has been very slow lately and I need to save what I have for the rest of the winter. So, I'll be shooting unguided for a while. Atleast I should get good at polar aligning!
Looks good. How did you attach the camera to the AZ GTi?

12-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Love the star bursts in the Orion picture.
Thank you.

---------- Post added 12-05-18 at 02:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Looks good. How did you attach the camera to the AZ GTi?
I am using a Manfrotto Lens support since I am using a large 645 lens on the K-1.

I made a dovetail plate out of a piece of oak that I screwed to the Manfrotto lens support with a 1/4 x 20 bolt. You could use a vixen style dovetail plate but I didn't have one available.

12-05-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As someone who is a little bit intimidated by the knowledge and skill to pull of this kind of photography I admire the way that second photo came out. Wonderful stuff!
12-06-2018, 03:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice captures ! Regarding processing, I think you clipped the low light levels too much (sky background at around 5-10% is better). Keeping white balance around daylight setting is also usually better for natural colors.

regards,

Dan
12-06-2018, 04:08 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Amazing shots!