Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
A Few Eagle Images from Earlier This Month
Lens: DA*300+1.4TC Camera: K3II Photo Location: Norht Idaho 
Posted By: JimS_256, 12-15-2018, 06:51 PM

I had a good day and was surprised at how many keepers I got. I did the PP on these with my iPad using Snapseed which is great for quick work but lacks any noise reduction which is visible in some of the images.

Views: 1,403
12-15-2018, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots.
12-15-2018, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You say you had a good day, so where did you find these excellent birds to photograph?

Btw, I hate you for that. Just kidding. LOL But I'd love to go somewhere they're abundant so I could get more than the occasional shot of an eagle in flight.
12-15-2018, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful. Lots of eagles here in Pennsylvania, and I've snapped quite a few but these are truly excellent.

12-15-2018, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent shots. I like the "hunting expression/posture" in the first one.
12-16-2018, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Very, very good. Wish I could get shots like that
12-16-2018, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

VERY nice shots

12-16-2018, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
You say you had a good day, so where did you find these excellent birds to photograph?
Coeur d'Alene lake Idaho just off highway 97 near Beauty Bay. It's a very popular spot with photographers. Lots of people with 500 and 600mm lenses on gimbal tripods the day I was there. I was definitely out gunned with my little 300mm lens and TC but I like to shoot hand held so it works for me. The eagles arrive in mid November and are mostly gone by mid January, peak numbers in mid December. Here is some info from the local paper.

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I like the "hunting expression/posture" in the first one.
I really liked that too. Here is another one from the same burst:

12-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

These are just awesome shots.

Wonder how the ones with their 800mm came out, bet their colors arem't as good as our Pentax are.
12-17-2018, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Impressive sharpness, very well done !
12-17-2018, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Excellent photos. If you don't mind giving us your photo secrets - can you tell me about your camera settings - what mode of focus do you typically use?
12-17-2018, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #12
maj

Fabulous photos
12-18-2018, 04:10 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
Excellent photos. If you don't mind giving us your photo secrets - can you tell me about your camera settings - what mode of focus do you typically use?
Click on the photo takes you to his flickr, you can read his EXIF there.
12-18-2018, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
If you don't mind giving us your photo secrets - can you tell me about your camera settings - what mode of focus do you typically use?
Here is a general run down of the settings I use:

For exposure, I usually shoot TAv but for bald eagles I'll often shoot manual. On this day (in spite of what the EXIF is saying) I was shooting TAv. With bald eagles the goal is to get the head as bright as possible without overexposing and blowing out the highlights (expose to the right). I started with an exposure compensation of -.7 and changed that to -1 after a few shots.

For focusing, I'm a confirmed "back button" user. I disliked having focus control attached to the shutter button the moment I got my K-50 back in 2013. It was one of the first things I changed once I realized there were options. With back button focusing I use AF.C exclusively and for focusing area I use "spot". I've tried different settings and occasionally use them depending on circumstances but "spot" is my go to for birds in flight.

With the 300mm+TC I try to keep the shutter speed at around 1/2000. I will go a little slower if I need the light but never below 1/1000.
I usually shoot at F8 but will go wider if I need the light. On this day I used F6.3 and it worked well.
I keep an eye on what the ISO is but mostly let if fall where if falls. Noise can be mitigated in post but motion blur can't.
When shooting at high shutter speeds and moving subjects I usually turn shake reduction off but looking at the camera now it appears I left it on. I think however that when the camera detects panning it automatically disables shake reduction, but I could be wrong about that.

If there's something else you were specifically wondering about let me know.
12-18-2018, 03:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
Here is a general run down of the settings I use:

For exposure, I usually shoot TAv but for bald eagles I'll often shoot manual. On this day (in spite of what the EXIF is saying) I was shooting TAv. With bald eagles the goal is to get the head as bright as possible without overexposing and blowing out the highlights (expose to the right). I started with an exposure compensation of -.7 and changed that to -1 after a few shots.

For focusing, I'm a confirmed "back button" user. I disliked having focus control attached to the shutter button the moment I got my K-50 back in 2013. It was one of the first things I changed once I realized there were options. With back button focusing I use AF.C exclusively and for focusing area I use "spot". I've tried different settings and occasionally use them depending on circumstances but "spot" is my go to for birds in flight.

With the 300mm+TC I try to keep the shutter speed at around 1/2000. I will go a little slower if I need the light but never below 1/1000.
I usually shoot at F8 but will go wider if I need the light. On this day I used F6.3 and it worked well.
I keep an eye on what the ISO is but mostly let if fall where if falls. Noise can be mitigated in post but motion blur can't.
When shooting at high shutter speeds and moving subjects I usually turn shake reduction off but looking at the camera now it appears I left it on. I think however that when the camera detects panning it automatically disables shake reduction, but I could be wrong about that.

If there's something else you were specifically wondering about let me know.
Thank you!