Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
13 Likes  #1
Snowy Owl - female - First of the season
Lens: DA*300/4 Camera: K3 ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: jpzk, 12-18-2018, 07:41 AM

At last, the first "Snowie" of this season.
They have been rather scarce this year ...hoping to spot some more soon.

Views: 1,180
12-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would love to see a snowy owl once . Thank you for the beautiful image sir !
12-18-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
They have been rather scarce this year
Do you have less snow cover than usual? It looks to me that the owl in your photo heard your mirror flip up and turned its head to see where the noise came from. I haven't been travelling in rural areas very much this year, so I can't tell you how scarce they are in Western Canada, but I am very impressed at how close you were for this photo. I used to see them perched on fence posts and power poles while I was driving, but as soon as I slowed down, they were half a kilometer away
12-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Nice shot!! Thanks for sharing. The only snowy I have every seen on was TV in Harry Potter movies, called Hedwig. Nice to see a real one!

12-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
I would love to see a snowy owl once . Thank you for the beautiful image sir !
Thanks for the comment, Pichaser.

---------- Post added 12-18-18 at 04:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Do you have less snow cover than usual? It looks to me that the owl in your photo heard your mirror flip up and turned its head to see where the noise came from. I haven't been travelling in rural areas very much this year, so I can't tell you how scarce they are in Western Canada, but I am very impressed at how close you were for this photo. I used to see them perched on fence posts and power poles while I was driving, but as soon as I slowed down, they were half a kilometer away
Neither ... lots of snow and we got into winter right at the beginning of November this year ... that is about one month earlier than "normal" and very cold too. Actually, we are getting the "Yo-Yo" weather: very cold and snowy, then very warm.
The snowie was looking straight at me before I took the shot.

I suppose I am lucky to get close enough for a decent shot most of the time.

There is another snowie shot which I will post here and that one was close as well, but perched this time.

---------- Post added 12-18-18 at 04:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Nice shot!! Thanks for sharing. The only snowy I have every seen on was TV in Harry Potter movies, called Hedwig. Nice to see a real one!
Yeah ! This Hedwig sure is a nice beast, isn't it?
Thanks for the comment.
12-18-2018, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's another one (different bird seemingly) ... this took a rather contrasty turn; I had the metering on "Spot", aiming at the white bird.
12-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Great shot.

12-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

At last, the first "Snowie" of this season.
They have been rather scarce this year ...hoping to spot some more soon.
Really nice shot of this gal in flight.
Supposedly one settles here every winter or two or three, but I've never seen it.
12-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Québec?!?!? DOH! That's the opposite coast!!!

We get a BUNCH of young males here, on the Washington coast, every five or six years. I remember one winter when you could hardly drive on the beach without risking running over a dozen of them. Haven't seen any since! Was hoping some might show up this year but perhaps they are liking the east coast better for 2018?

Great shots! I'm envious

PS How can you tell that is a female?
12-29-2018, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oktyabr Quote
Québec?!?!? DOH! That's the opposite coast!!!

We get a BUNCH of young males here, on the Washington coast, every five or six years. I remember one winter when you could hardly drive on the beach without risking running over a dozen of them. Haven't seen any since! Was hoping some might show up this year but perhaps they are liking the east coast better for 2018?

Great shots! I'm envious

PS How can you tell that is a female?
Yeah ... opposite coast alright.
Lucky for you to see all those "males" out there where you are but why do you ask how I can differentiate between male and female snowies?
Here is a short summary: "Snowy Owls are white birds with varying amounts of black or brown markings on the body and wings. On females this can be quite dense, giving the bird a salt-and-pepper look. Males tend to be paler and become whiter as they age."
They obviously follow "the food" so maybe it isn't quite available as much as before in your region??
Thanks for the comment too.
12-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah ... opposite coast alright.
Lucky for you to see all those "males" out there where you are but why do you ask how I can differentiate between male and female snowies?
Here is a short summary: "Snowy Owls are white birds with varying amounts of black or brown markings on the body and wings. On females this can be quite dense, giving the bird a salt-and-pepper look. Males tend to be paler and become whiter as they age."
They obviously follow "the food" so maybe it isn't quite available as much as before in your region??
Thanks for the comment too.
Local bird expert here (and a vet) says that what we normally see where I live are young males, chased out of breeding habitat by the bigger, more mature males. That we see them only once every few years suggests that the year (or two) before were particularly good for the population. And thanks for the info! I had never heard the color differences explained before.
12-30-2018, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oktyabr Quote
Local bird expert here (and a vet) says that what we normally see where I live are young males, chased out of breeding habitat by the bigger, more mature males. That we see them only once every few years suggests that the year (or two) before were particularly good for the population. And thanks for the info! I had never heard the color differences explained before.
I suppose our region is "females first" ... young entrepreneurial males, please move on !
12-31-2018, 05:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What an enjoyable post . I see few owls here.