Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
dom
Lens: jupiter-37a Camera: pentax k-50 Photo Location: Riga ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: ignath, 12-18-2018, 04:07 PM

full resolution here

the dome cathedral behind buildings on the shore of the river Daugava

Riga Cathedral (Latvian: Rīgas Doms; German: Dom zu Riga) is the Evangelical Lutheran cathedral in Riga, Latvia. It is the seat of the Archbishop of Riga.
The cathedral is one of the most recognizable landmarks in Latvia, and is featured in or the subject of paintings, photographs and television travelogues. Like all of the ancient churches of the city, it is known for its weathercock.
The church is commonly called the Dome Cathedral, a tautology as the word 'Dome' comes from the German Dom meaning 'cathedral'.
The church was built near the River Daugava in 1211 by Livonian Bishop Albert of Riga, who came from Lower Saxony in northwestern Germany. It is considered the largest medieval church in the Baltic states. It has undergone many modifications in the course of its history.
David Caspari was rector of the cathedral school in the late 17th century. His son Georg Caspari also served at the cathedral.
Religious services were prohibited during the Soviet occupation from 1939 to 1989, and the cathedral was used as a concert hall.
In 2011 the copper roofing above the nave was replaced. In 2015 the tower exterior was also re-plated and its wooden support structure renewed.
The organ of the Riga Cathedral was built by E.F. Walcker & Sons of Ludwigsburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany, in 1882–83, and was inaugurated on 31 January 1884. It has four manuals and one pedalboard. It plays 116 voices, 124 stops, 144 ranks, and 6718 pipes. It includes 18 combinations and General Crescendo. A tape of Latvian composer Lūcija Garūta playing the organ for a cantata during World War II captured the sound of battle nearby.

(wiki)
Views: 628
12-19-2018, 06:05 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nicely done! I love the contrast with B&W. And thanks for the history. It adds so much to the photo and makes me want to travel there someday.
12-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your image is of an impressive structure and a somber beauty . The organ must be amazing .
12-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Nicely done! I love the contrast with B&W. And thanks for the history. It adds so much to the photo and makes me want to travel there someday.
!thank you.

the best monts for visiting is june to first half of september. other times of year is rain, dark, cold & potatos

---------- Post added 12-19-18 at 17:26 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Your image is of an impressive structure and a somber beauty . The organ must be amazing .
!thanks. the organ sounds really massive. i'll post somewhen later this church from other side, it gives totally different perspective, but for that shot i need to get the SMC Pentax-DA 10-17mm first..