Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
High tide get higher and higher
Lens: Pentax FA 24-90 mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Lapu Lapu City ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: shirey, 12-23-2018, 05:21 AM

High tide at an old resort on Mactan Island, Philippines. The ocean didn't come in this far at high tide, when the resort was built. Now it comes in all the way to the foot of the restaurant by the beach. Business has been declining due to loss of beach front, and the manager tells me they have only a few more years before they will have to close. This is a natural consequence of climate change. It has happened many times in Earth's history, and it always brings changes. Here, we can see it happening before our eyes.

I visit this resort about once a month, sometimes at high tide, sometimes at low.....just to see what's happening, and to record it. It's a quiet place, these days; and I can enjoy a nice lunch while I listen to the sounds of the waves. I will miss it when it's gone.

Location: Cebu Marine Resort on Mactan Island, Cebu, Philippines.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Views: 408
12-25-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shirey Quote
High tide at an old resort on Mactan Island, Philippines. The ocean didn't come in this far at high tide, when the resort was built. Now it comes in all the way to the foot of the restaurant by the beach. Business has been declining due to loss of beach front, and the manager tells me they have only a few more years before they will have to close. This is a natural consequence of climate change. It has happened many times in Earth's history, and it always brings changes. Here, we can see it happening before our eyes.

I visit this resort about once a month, sometimes at high tide, sometimes at low.....just to see what's happening, and to record it. It's a quiet place, these days; and I can enjoy a nice lunch while I listen to the sounds of the waves. I will miss it when it's gone.

Location: Cebu Marine Resort on Mactan Island, Cebu, Philippines.
Nice seaside view!

Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, has had the opposite issue. Over time, the lake has shrunk; my Dad remembered going to a resort, "Saltair", that was lakeside a generation ago .... but they had to close because the lake became such a long hike away.