Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Everyday Carry
Lens: Tamron Adaptall-2 90mm f/2.5 Macro (52BB) Camera: K-3 II Photo Location: Ottawa ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: c.a.m, 12-29-2018, 09:25 AM

Parker Jotter ballpoint (gel), Pilot Vanishing Point pencil 0.5mm F, and notebook.

(cross-posted Tamron Adaptall mount lens club)

Views: 841
12-29-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Lovely composed shot, as for the subject, a pen and notebook are invaluable items to have on your person. I always have a pen at least.
12-29-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I like the photo. I still have some old Parker Jotters, but with ballpoint refills. My understanding is that the Parker Jotter has been around for decades and is a fine pen at a good price that provides excellent service.
12-29-2018, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
My understanding is that the Parker Jotter has been around for decades and is a fine pen at a good price that provides excellent service.
Thanks.

Indeed, the Jotter is simple, robust, and comfortable. I also have a Parker 75 Cisele in sterling, which I bought in my second year of university many years ago. But it's the more recent Jotter that gets the daily duty.

12-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Thanks.

Indeed, the Jotter is simple, robust, and comfortable. I also have a Parker 75 Cisele in sterling, which I bought in my second year of university many years ago. But it's the more recent Jotter that gets the daily duty.
I'm a bit of a pen collector and have a few. I have a couple of Sheaffer White Dot fountain pens, finished in black and did have a White Dot finished in gold, which was lost. When I was working, my career called for a lot of writing and I found a fountain pen worked well for me, didn't have hand cramps which used to plague me with cheaper 'no name' ball points.

My Sheaffer White Dots, both fountain and ballpoint were my workhorse pens both during my university days and work. Reliable, tough, good looking and having a very nice 'feel' and balance.

I also have some very good ball points, a couple PhD's, a Waterman, a couple of Sheaffer White Dot ball point pens. I carry on a daily basis my Fisher Space Pen, which works very well and doesn't tear holes in my trouser pockets.

I also have a couple of YAFA pens, which again I used a lot during my working life...along with a couple of Parker Jotter ballpoints...copies of which, I also carried in each of our vehicles, along with a small notebook.
12-29-2018, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm a bit of a pen collector and have a few.
Gee, you have several nice writing instruments! Thanks for the description. I have a Fisher space pen refill as a standby spare for the Jotter, but I prefer the darker Parker gel.

Too bad about the gold White Dot. A year or so after getting my Parker 75 ($17 at the time, I recall, from Consumers Distributing -- big money for a poor student), I lost it while walking from downtown Fredericton back to UNB, in the winter. I retraced my steps and wouldn't you know it -- there it was in a small drift on the sidewalk.

My own career kept me in R&D labs and field trials for many years, so a pencil was my instrument of choice. Even as a manager, I kept a pencil at the ready. Pilot discontinued the Vanishing Point some time ago (at least in the North American market). Now, they regularly fetch over $100 on eBay, go figure; I think I paid maybe $10-12 for mine.

(Please don't get me going on notebooks. My wife snickers at my stash)
12-29-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Parker Jotter ballpoint (gel), Pilot Vanishing Point pencil 0.5mm F, and notebook.

(cross-posted Tamron Adaptall mount lens club)

I keep hearing from users who have troubles with manual focusing on Pentax DSLRs - but you certainly did focus this well.

12-30-2018, 06:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I keep hearing from users who have troubles with manual focusing on Pentax DSLRs - but you certainly did focus this well.
Thanks. Random luck. Liveview helps a lot.

@bertwert, thanks for your compliment!

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-30-2018 at 07:02 AM.
12-30-2018, 08:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Gee, you have several nice writing instruments! Thanks for the description. I have a Fisher space pen refill as a standby spare for the Jotter, but I prefer the darker Parker gel.

Too bad about the gold White Dot. A year or so after getting my Parker 75 ($17 at the time, I recall, from Consumers Distributing -- big money for a poor student), I lost it while walking from downtown Fredericton back to UNB, in the winter. I retraced my steps and wouldn't you know it -- there it was in a small drift on the sidewalk.

My own career kept me in R&D labs and field trials for many years, so a pencil was my instrument of choice. Even as a manager, I kept a pencil at the ready. Pilot discontinued the Vanishing Point some time ago (at least in the North American market). Now, they regularly fetch over $100 on eBay, go figure; I think I paid maybe $10-12 for mine.

(Please don't get me going on notebooks. My wife snickers at my stash)
Consumers Distributing. Haven't heard that name in awhile and I was disappointed when the company disappeared. A lot of good products for a good price.

Ahh...notebooks.

I share your addiction. In my working years I was mostly in management and I kept things organized, effective and flowing through three different forms of notebooks.

I had my large Quo Vadis appointment books, lots of space for listing appointments and minor notes.

I used a Mead Cambridge Writing Pad...stiff cardboard back, premium paper 8 1/2 X 11 ...as my always there...work 'To Do List'... book. The 'to do tasks' were dated, reviewed regularly and stroked out upon completion.

My final notebook was a Mead three subject book which I used as my meeting note book(s). I would 'shrink' the typed... meeting agenda sheet and minutes.... glue it on the appropriate page...etc...along with monitoring notes next to the minutes list of tasks to be done by those concerned, time frames for those responsible for task completion and a check off when tasks were complete.

It was a simple, effective system that worked for me. I kept the all notebooks during my working life, in case I needed to check the history of a project in the future.

They all fit in my briefcase. I used this system before electronics took over record keeping and actually continued to use this notebook system right up to the time I retired, a bit over a decade ago. By that time I think some regarded my notebook way of doing things positively antediluvian.

Before I started this notebook system I had initially just used a small appointment book and trusted my memory to monitor what needed to be done. Well that didn't work very well so I quickly analyzed what I needed to do, how best to keep track of responsibilities, requirements, etc...and this notebook system is what I developed. It worked for me and I readily admit, everyone needs to determine a system that works best for them.

I had tried electronic record keeping before I retired, but something crashed and I lost many of my records for a 3 month period and after that decided to return to my archaic notebooks. I still used computers, Palm Pilots, Blackberries etc...but my primary system remained the notebook system.

Now that I'm enmeshed in a retired life of ease, with little responsibility I just use the smallest of Quo Vadis appointment books to record my very few appointments and I still use a Cambridge Writing Par to list my very few To Do requirements, which are invariably dictated by my wife.
12-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@lesmore49, sounds like we practiced similar approaches.

I had my large Quo Vadis appointment books,
Yup -- I favoured the QV Trinote for several years. When I became a more senior manager, my time was controlled mainly by others, my assistants, and our enterprise MS Outlook program, so I surrendered to keeping my master agenda in Outlook and working from one or two printed sheets. Having my BlackBerry synched was useful, I'll admit. But I never did feel that I had as good a view on my calendar as when I had my Trinote with my coloured or emphasized entries, little stickies that could move from week to week, and that wonderful paper.

Mead Cambridge Writing Pad...stiff cardboard back, premium paper 8 1/2 X 11
My organization supplied pens, paper and other stationery, but I always favoured my own Cambridge pad, quadruled, for my undated notes, engineering stuff, and ideas for technical papers.

My final notebook was a Mead three subject book
I tended to use the thin Moleskine (I know, I know...) notebooks for my daily notes. The A5 format slipped neatly into a pocket in my small leather portfolio, and was carried easily when I traveled.

For my 'action' items, project lists, and delegated work, I used a system of 3x5 index cards -- easy to organize and sort; quick to sift, and several could be carried in a shirt pocket. Not electronic, though!

Like you, I'm retired (less than a year), so my organization consists mainly of my iPhone calendar, 3x5 cards, and a few coloured sticky notes here on my desk. I'm toying with reverting back to a paper agenda/diary book.

Thanks for the comments.

Craig