Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix
Lens: Sigma 100-300mm Camera: Pentax K3 Photo Location: Circuit du Spa Francorchamps Shutter Speed: 1/320s 
Posted By: red5isalive, 12-31-2018, 10:17 AM

Dear members,
Its been a while since I've been sharing my adventures and images over here so before 2018 ends up I wanted to share THE adventure of 2018, THE step forward and THE dream becoming true.

As you know I get some media passes for some motorsport events and I do cooperate with some websites and so on, but the past August I've got an amazing call and it was to join a friend of mine to cover the Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix as an accredited Photographer so... I took the chance!

This is a big step on everyone's life but I've been following Formula 1 for more than 3 decades (probably around 35 years now) and I do love that sport so it was a big step. I felt a lot of pressure to perform, and was anxious, nervous and excited at the same time those 4 days photographing everything I could.


In the past and also this 2018 I've been working at the Monaco Grand Prix but covering the Formula 2 event, and even tho I love it and I like Formula 2, Formula 1 is a big step.
The experience itself was super fun, I really loved it, but as said before I felt a lot of pressure and it was stressing in the way I wanted to perform and it was my very first time at that Circuit which means I knew nothing about acces, where could I go, where couldn't I go,I was asked by whatssapp to photograph this and that every day (like the new aero in some cars etc....), etc....


Here I post some images of that event (I also did cover the Formula 2 races so will open a new post about that).








First big thing accomplished, got Kimi Raikkonen smiling right at me!





Eau Rouge is well known everywhere but you can't describe it by watching it on tv, this is like a wall when you are at the bottom! It is really worthy going and seing it live.



I have to recognize I've struggled a bit in the fastest parts of the track with my K3 following the speed of the cars, here specially. No problem with the F2 cars but F1's are super fast and the AF in the K3 wasn't the best ever



On Qualyfing on saturday it started to rain and being at Turn 1 I've seen some cars loosing the track, yet no crashes and this image is one I really like



Luckily later on the Sun came out





As said before I was a bit lost not having been there before and not knowing much about the timings or accesses, but I gave a try to the Start Grid just in case I could access and then there i was (this image is from the garages tho)





Grid images








Once here I went to the press room to share my images with my editor so he could have fresh recent images to publish with the race news, and I had to choose where to start the race IF at Turn 1 which I thought I liked more, or at Eau Rouge where I thought if there is no accidents would be a better image to get the whole field of cars. So I went there and there was a big shunt at Turn 1 I missed by re-thinking too much.

Is not that I want anybody to get involved in a crash or anything, its just it happened and I had the chance to be there but decided to go somewhere else.


The Safety Car was deployed immediatelly



And later on Vettel pulled away to win the race
















I hope you like them.
Shutter speeds have been different ones, and I've been using my K3 and K5 plus Sigma 17-50mm f2.8, Sigma 100-300mm f4 and pentax 50-135mm f2.8 mainly as my lenses.


Would I repeat? YEAH no doubt about that!
Hopefully 2019 will bring on another F1 race at least, and I really want to do the 24H of Le Mans since I was there in 2010. Let's see if we can chase that dream also!

Hope you like the images,
Views: 443
12-31-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 5,217
Wonderful series of photographs. What an opportunity you have had, the dream of many racing/camera buffs.

I very much enjoyed your photographs, both of the racing action and the candid people photos. I particularly like your candid people photos, you have a great eye for capturing interesting shots...of racers, fans, people interactions. Also excellent use of F Stops to get striking bokeh background photos of individuals...

Well done. I look forward to additional racing photography. Any behind the scene stories at the event(s) you can tell ?
12-31-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian
red5isalive's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 378
Original Poster
Thank you lesmore49, glad you like them!

Yeah I know it was a dream !


Thank you very much again, glad you like the indiviuals also! Not easy to capture as you mainly have a few seconds usually but some images payed off

Again Thank you, me too! Not really tho, I was mainly obssesed on where to go next and deliver my images on time. I even had to walk the path from half the way to the press office (took me around 40 minutes) overtaking the crowd (and I mean it was very crowded) because the vans the organizer had for us took me 20 minutes waiting and were all time crowded so I decided to leave by foot.

I've meet very cool people there indeed as photographers, and haven't really heard anything about the racing unfortunatelly xD I guess those gossips happen somewhere more private.
12-31-2018, 01:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 680
Great series.

12-31-2018, 05:25 PM   #5
Junior Member
ubjy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 35
Wow. Great photos. It definitely great skill to capture action with pentax AF.
01-01-2019, 12:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian
KiloHotelphoto's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Glen Mills, PA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 623
Some great shots, I want to get to Spa so bad but don't think I'll ever make it for F1 or WEC and also want to get to LeMans.

Really liked the shots of Alonso and Kimi through the halo, great point of view on those.
01-01-2019, 12:56 AM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,282
Brilliant photojournal!
Looks like you got plenty of keepers despite the superfast cars.
The K-3 did okay after all, but the skill of the photographer is key to the success of this series.
Well done!
Thanks for sharing.
01-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #8
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,497
QuoteOriginally posted by red5isalive Quote
Dear members,
Its been a while since I've been sharing my adventures and images over here so before 2018 ends up I wanted to share THE adventure of 2018, THE step forward and THE dream becoming true.

As you know I get some media passes for some motorsport events and I do cooperate with some websites and so on, but the past August I've got an amazing call and it was to join a friend of mine to cover the Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix as an accredited Photographer so... I took the chance!

This is a big step on everyone's life but I've been following Formula 1 for more than 3 decades (probably around 35 years now) and I do love that sport so it was a big step. I felt a lot of pressure to perform, and was anxious, nervous and excited at the same time those 4 days photographing everything I could.

In the past and also this 2018 I've been working at the Monaco Grand Prix but covering the Formula 2 event, and even tho I love it and I like Formula 2, Formula 1 is a big step.
The experience itself was super fun, I really loved it, but as said before I felt a lot of pressure and it was stressing in the way I wanted to perform and it was my very first time at that Circuit which means I knew nothing about acces, where could I go, where couldn't I go,I was asked by whatssapp to photograph this and that every day (like the new aero in some cars etc....), etc....

I hope you like them.
Shutter speeds have been different ones, and I've been using my K3 and K5 plus Sigma 17-50mm f2.8, Sigma 100-300mm f4 and pentax 50-135mm f2.8 mainly as my lenses.


Would I repeat? YEAH no doubt about that!
Hopefully 2019 will bring on another F1 race at least, and I really want to do the 24H of Le Mans since I was there in 2010. Let's see if we can chase that dream also!

Hope you like the images,
Good job - yes I did like the images, especially the first few, showing the drivers mixing with fans - that is always good.

01-01-2019, 07:40 PM   #9
dbs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Clare Valley S A
Posts: 2,132
Hi Daniel

Happy New Year

Wow...loved em all

The grid shots....excellent

And you had Daniel Riccardo......great.......yes i'm an Aussie

Kimi smiling....priceless

I hope the opportunities continue for you

Dave
01-02-2019, 06:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian
red5isalive's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 378
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Great series.
Thank you foxandcrow!


QuoteOriginally posted by ubjy Quote
Wow. Great photos. It definitely great skill to capture action with pentax AF.
Thank you ubjy glad you like them.


QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Some great shots, I want to get to Spa so bad but don't think I'll ever make it for F1 or WEC and also want to get to LeMans.

Really liked the shots of Alonso and Kimi through the halo, great point of view on those.
Thank you KiloHotelphoto,

If you can fly to Europe don't hesitate and do it! I've been as spectator in Le Mans in 2010 and the only thing I can tell is that is impressive! It is a must for everyone that loves motorsport.
And if you plan it with time, once you are here you can go to some events (in June you have Le Mans and also the Man TT is at the end of May and begining of June, or maybe you can also fly somewhere to watch some F1 in May or June?)

Thank you Those grid images I was about to plan what to do, seen a guy getting into a tunnel and just followed him to the grid, and once there you know, there's so much stuff around that is like a piece of heaven for any photographer.


QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Brilliant photojournal!
Looks like you got plenty of keepers despite the superfast cars.
The K-3 did okay after all, but the skill of the photographer is key to the success of this series.
Well done!
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Ash, glad you like them.
Yeah she did well Is not the best performer but she was working fine.


QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Good job - yes I did like the images, especially the first few, showing the drivers mixing with fans - that is always good.
Thank you reh321! Yeah that was pure magic and joy.


QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Daniel

Happy New Year

Wow...loved em all

The grid shots....excellent

And you had Daniel Riccardo......great.......yes i'm an Aussie

Kimi smiling....priceless

I hope the opportunities continue for you

Dave
Happy new year Dave, glad you like them!

Thank you, glad you like them! Yeah everyone loves Daniel, right? He is so humble and always having fun and smiling. I also love the guy. He is priceless in that sport and someone like him was needed in that sport.
Oh you aussies are (the ones I ever met) always birlliant open-minded happy people, its a joy to find any of you around always!

Indeed ! I was very very lucky to get Kimi smiling but the whole afternoon he seemed to be happy even while signing to the fans.


Thank you mate, fingers crossed to that
01-03-2019, 11:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian
troika's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Posts: 1,136
Really nice series. It looks like it was a fun day.
01-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #12
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 99
Congratulations for having fullfilled your dream ! These are excellent pictures, especially since it was your first race and you didn't have the latest sport-oriented camera. Well done !
01-03-2019, 04:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 322
What an opportunity, and what a well shot series of images, hats off to you.
You should be pleased as punch with these.

Stand out shots for me are the first of the garage shots and I think it was Vettel, pulling away, 2 cracking shots.
01-04-2019, 01:11 AM   #14
Pentaxian
red5isalive's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 378
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Really nice series. It looks like it was a fun day.
Thank you, yes it was a very fun 4 days


QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Paris Quote
Congratulations for having fullfilled your dream ! These are excellent pictures, especially since it was your first race and you didn't have the latest sport-oriented camera. Well done !

Thank you Dan, its absolutely great when it happens.

To be honest not my first race but my first F1 race and my first time at Spa Francorchamps

Thanks, glad you like them

QuoteOriginally posted by dick897 Quote
What an opportunity, and what a well shot series of images, hats off to you.
You should be pleased as punch with these.

Stand out shots for me are the first of the garage shots and I think it was Vettel, pulling away, 2 cracking shots.
Thank you yeah amazing chance and great fun!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
belgian grand prix, camera, cars, daniel, f1, flickr, formula, formula 1, images, k3, photo, race, racing, step
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax spotted at Bahrain Grand Prix! a5m General Photography 19 01-02-2019 06:55 AM
Machinery Pontiac Grand Prix Racer X 69 Post Your Photos! 2 07-28-2018 07:35 PM
Best of 2016 Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix, Carlos Sainz Stupix Post Your Photos! 1 01-08-2017 06:21 AM
Machinery Formula one Grand Prix of Montreal and of course nice girls.... suzuki-j Post Your Photos! 7 06-13-2010 10:24 PM
Canadian Grand Prix (Formula One & Ferrari Challenge) smcclelland Post Your Photos! 7 06-12-2007 02:32 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top