Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Happy New Year Everyone
Camera: iPhone Xs Photo Location: Lake Jackson, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 12-31-2018, 05:46 PM

I've been photographically inactive for the last several months, and thus have been pretty scarce on the forum. However, I want to wish all my good buddies here a very Happy New Year.

Here's a test shot with my iPhone. I've never tried the cameras on any iPhone until I got this Xs for Christmas. No substitute for a K-1, but it'll do in a pinch. I hope to get my photo . . . . . genes . . . . . up and running again in 2019.

Jer

Views: 1,483
12-31-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back Jer, and what a wonderful image to start 2019 buddy. Happy New Year to you and yours.
12-31-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great composition! happy new year to you!
01-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I've been photographically inactive for the last several months, and thus have been pretty scarce on the forum. However, I want to wish all my good buddies here a very Happy New Year.

Here's a test shot with my iPhone. I've never tried the cameras on any iPhone until I got this Xs for Christmas. No substitute for a K-1, but it'll do in a pinch. I hope to get my photo . . . . . genes . . . . . up and running again in 2019.

Jer

Jer,

Very good to see you back and a Happy New Year to you and your family. I do miss your photos, especially those of the Porsche, BMW variety. especially during the winter months.

Up here during the long winters in my part of the world...there are no outdoor car shows...last night the thermometer plunged to - 31 C. Given these extreme snow, ice conditions and temps...I rarely see a vintage vehicle out till early May. . But after May, there is a flood of outdoor car shows and...vintage sports cars, rat rods, vintage rods, old motorcycles of European, Japanese and American manufacture...and even the occasional Canadian bike..CanAm.

As far as cell phone photographs, I must say that I've become more impressed with the quality of photographs that some of these cameras can produce, as cell phones continue to evolve.

As you say, they are no substitute for a K-1, but I do think that there is some truth in the maxim...that the best camera to have is the one you have with you.

Having said that...I need to practice what I preach as my cell phone is rather ancient and unfortunately produces fairly primitive quality in photographs.

I do like the design elements in the metal work in your photo. Very appealing to an eye like mine.

Best of the New Year,

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; 01-01-2019 at 11:33 AM.
01-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Welcome back Jer, and what a wonderful image to start 2019 buddy. Happy New Year to you and yours.
Thanks much, Peter!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by françois Quote
great composition! happy new year to you!
Thank you, francois.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Jer,

Very good to see you back and a Happy New Year to you and your family. I do miss your photos, especially those of the Porsche, BMW variety. especially during the winter months . . . . . . . .

Best of the New Year,

Les
Hey, Les - good to "hear" your voice, and thanks for the kind words about the pic. I'm planning to rev up my SLR photography in the coming year. The Houston Auto Show is in about three weeks. Typically, I take my P&S to the show, but since we're not contemplating an imminent new car and thus won't be focused on examining a specific type of vehicle, I think I'll probably take my K-1 and have some fun photographing as well as enjoying the shiny new metal.

Jer
01-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Hey, Les - good to "hear" your voice, and thanks for the kind words about the pic. I'm planning to rev up my SLR photography in the coming year. The Houston Auto Show is in about three weeks. Typically, I take my P&S to the show, but since we're not contemplating an imminent new car and thus won't be focused on examining a specific type of vehicle, I think I'll probably take my K-1 and have some fun photographing as well as enjoying the shiny new metal.

Jer

Looking forward to seeing your SLR photos in the coming year, Jer.

A feature I'm really enjoying with my K-1 is the movable monitor screen...amazing the different angles one can get. Last summer I did a bit of experimentation with this when taking pics of cars of interest. I had a lot of fun trying different views, close ups, low...looking up...high looking down...although, I admit...I'm kind of challenged when it comes to getting down on my knees...age and an old hockey injury...govern how low I can go.

I've also been quite pleased with the Pentax 28-105 Zoom lens when I'm out among vintage and new iron. A versatile lens that delivers sharp results.

Les
01-05-2019, 03:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is that your DNA Jer? Gees you look healthy! Have a great New Year.

01-05-2019, 05:58 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Jer

Happy new year- and beautiful shot! The composition works really well IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Looking forward to seeing your SLR photos in the coming year, Jer.

A feature I'm really enjoying with my K-1 is the movable monitor screen...amazing the different angles one can get. Last summer I did a bit of experimentation with this when taking pics of cars of interest. I had a lot of fun trying different views, close ups, low...looking up...high looking down...although, I admit...I'm kind of challenged when it comes to getting down on my knees...age and an old hockey injury...govern how low I can go.

I've also been quite pleased with the Pentax 28-105 Zoom lens when I'm out among vintage and new iron. A versatile lens that delivers sharp results.

Les
I love my K-1/28-105 combo - a dynamic duo!!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Is that your DNA Jer? Gees you look healthy! Have a great New Year.
Thanks, EM. Just my usual helix hijinks.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Happy new year- and beautiful shot! The composition works really well IMO.
Thanks much, Adam.

Jer
01-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Jer

Don't feel bad about using a smart phone - unless special requirements are present, they do just fine.

And this is a nice photo - I especially like the shine and reflections from the steel.
01-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Don't feel bad about using a smart phone - unless special requirements are present, they do just fine.

And this is a nice photo - I especially like the shine and reflections from the steel.
Thanks much for the kind words.

Jer
01-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I must say I am impressed with this quality photograph right of an iphone. Hhhhhmmmm!! Good to see you back and a very Happy and Healthy New Year to you and yours.

Ciao,

Tony
01-12-2019, 11:24 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I must say I am impressed with this quality photograph right of an iphone. Hhhhhmmmm!! Good to see you back and a very Happy and Healthy New Year to you and yours.

Ciao,

Tony
Hey Tony - thanks much!!

Jer
01-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #14
Forum Member

This is a really nice photo! Very striking coming from a smartphone.

01-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FenderGirl Quote
This is a really nice photo! Very striking coming from a smartphone.
Thank you very much!

Jer