Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bay to Birdwood - Historic Cars
Posted By: kev.pride, 09-28-2008, 03:47 PM

Just a few of the 1200 pre 1956 Historic Cars on annual event to Birdwood "National Motor Museum". All photos taken taken at Chain of Ponds, South Aust .

Most simply cropped, taken with Tamron 28-300 AV on F8 & 7.1 I think. Tried my Takuma's but still to master Manual focus especially moving objects, I thought I would have had a slow section to photograph - but I think most were getting a run up to go over the hill.

After running through Irfanview some are a bit pixilated.

Enjoy!!

Attached Images

Views: 2,707
09-28-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
Damn Brit

You have lost quite a bit with the crops. I have the Tamron 28-300 also and it's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
How about posting some of the shots without the cropping for us to look at, I've got a feeling they will look better composed as well (albeit smaller).
The 28-300 is fine for what it does, it gives you some reach but if you want to start cropping, you need the extra sharpness of a prime in most cases.
09-29-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They do look a tad noisy. I use a Sigma 100-300 for all the motor racing shots I've taken and it's a workhorse. When I crop I will never make it less that 800 pixels (longest edge) at 72dpi as that's the size most sites will accept. Your vehicle doesn't have to fill a frame so experiment some with the comp as Brit has suggested.

Love the old car but and the first 2 shots are fabbo!
09-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I know I am being really cheeky, but you didnt happen to take a photo of a dark green 1930 Ford four door sedan (entrant #1129) did you?

And in answer to the comment about getting a run up for the hills, that is very probably the case. I usually drive mine as quickly as possible unless it is a steep downhill section.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-P100  Photo 
10-02-2008, 05:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lnernut Quote
I know I am being really cheeky, but you didnt happen to take a photo of a dark green 1930 Ford four door sedan (entrant #1129) did you?

And in answer to the comment about getting a run up for the hills, that is very probably the case. I usually drive mine as quickly as possible unless it is a steep downhill section.
Inernut: Checked my photos & unfortunately you must have been driving too fast, at times there were so many cars together in a bunch I had trouble from my position to get a clear photo. Oh well there's always next year.

regards
Kevin

ps I used to live 3 k's from Chain of Ponds & I would hate to tell you what speeds I clocked going around the Reservoir & up the hill to the Kersbrook turnoff.
10-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Thanks for looking anyway. I am having trouble picturing exactly where you were situated. Is that the curve between the Lobethal turnoff (on the right) and the Kersbrook turnoff (on the left)?

If that is where you were, then I certainly had the pedal right to the floor to attack the incline after the turnoff. I have a recollection of being on that section trying to get around a slow moving modern car but can't be certain of exactly where.

It was my first Bay to Birdwood as our old Ford has just come out of the shed after 11 years. Next year with a bit of luck I will be running backup for a BSA motorcycle which ATM is stacked in buckets

The only place where some of the cars really slow down was on the tops of the hills and the tightest of the corners. Once we got past the TTG hotel and over that next hill I don't think we dropped below 30MPH more than about 4 times.

Oh, BTW I apparently made it onto the ABC news overtaking another vintage car into a corner..... running side by side.

Thanks again for looking, I hope you enjoyed the day as much as we did. (my kids went through four of those compressed air airhorns.
10-03-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes thats the position, right after the Cudlee Creek/ Lobethal right turnoff as you leave the Reservoir itself. Good luck next year, I'll have to research a better spot.

10-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sigma 100-300

QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
They do look a tad noisy. I use a Sigma 100-300 for all the motor racing shots I've taken and it's a workhorse. When I crop I will never make it less that 800 pixels (longest edge) at 72dpi as that's the size most sites will accept. Your vehicle doesn't have to fill a frame so experiment some with the comp as Brit has suggested.

Love the old car but and the first 2 shots are fabbo!

Kris which Model Sigma 100-300 as I have my eye on one at the moment.

regards
Kevin
10-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
Yes thats the position, right after the Cudlee Creek/ Lobethal right turnoff as you leave the Reservoir itself. Good luck next year, I'll have to research a better spot.

There is a downhill section just over that next hill which has quite a curve on it, or the really tight corners about a mile back up the road. Check out some of the photos on
Epsom Road Studios

These guys had a couple of really good spots.
10-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a fun time, thanks for sharing! Love the colors in these old cars, nice
captures!

Bill