Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Disaster strikes
Lens: FA31mm, DA*300mm Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Schiermonnikoog ISO: 800 
Posted By: Fries, 01-06-2019, 03:21 PM

Just above the Frisian islands in the North Sea on Wednesday a containership lost 288 containers. 222 have been found on the sea floor. About thirty of them floated to the islands and the Frisian coast. Some of released their cargo and it is mostly plastic, cheap stuf. It probably will have a long lasting effect on the wildest and most valuable nature reserve we have; the Waddensea. It is a UNESCO world heritage site. The island and coastal communities helped by thousands of volunteers and a 100 soldiers have done a really impressive job in cleaning up the mess. But with every high tide there is a risk that they have to start cleaning the coast again. I had to report on the clean up on the island of Schiermonnikoog last Friday and in a whirlwind of making tv- and radio reports and live appearances I managed to pull of some shots. One of them even ended up on the website of the biggest (public) broadcaster of the Netherlands.

Thanks for looking and somewhere in these pictures there is a lesson for all of us... (Without getting into political stuff!)

Cheers,

Remco

1. Stuff as far as the eye can see.

2. Small plastic pallets on a dead starfish. It is a important part of the winter diet for seagulls.

3. A still closed container with one of the soldiers in front.

4. Soldiers cleaning up.

5. A convoy of army trucks.

Last edited by Fries; 01-06-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Views: 446
01-06-2019, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a mess! When you see something like this it really underlines the fact that a lot of the stuff we export around the world is just junk that no one really needs anyway. I hope the Waddensea can recover quickly.
01-06-2019, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Good photojournalism. That is one disrespectful mess left behind.
01-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
What a mess! When you see something like this it really underlines the fact that a lot of the stuff we export around the world is just junk that no one really needs anyway. I hope the Waddensea can recover quickly.
Thanks! I hope so too.

---------- Post added 01-07-19 at 11:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good photojournalism. That is one disrespectful mess left behind.
Thanks and yes it is. And with a storm brewing there might be more to come. I am now in a hotel on another island to report on that.

01-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #5
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Just above the Frisian islands in the North Sea on Wednesday a containership lost 288 containers. 222 have been found on the sea floor. About thirty of them floated to the islands and the Frisian coast. Some of released their cargo and it is mostly plastic, cheap stuf. It probably will have a long lasting effect on the wildest and most valuable nature reserve we have; the Waddensea. It is a UNESCO world heritage site. The island and coastal communities helped by thousands of volunteers and a 100 soldiers have done a really impressive job in cleaning up the mess. But with every high tide there is a risk that they have to start cleaning the coast again. I had to report on the clean up on the island of Schiermonnikoog last Friday and in a whirlwind of making tv- and radio reports and live appearances I managed to pull of some shots. One of them even ended up on the website of the biggest (public) broadcaster of the Netherlands.

Thanks for looking and somewhere in these pictures there is a lesson for all of us... (Without getting into political stuff!)

Cheers,

Remco

1. Stuff as far as the eye can see.

2. Small plastic pallets on a dead starfish. It is a important part of the winter diet for seagulls.

3. A still closed container with one of the soldiers in front.

4. Soldiers cleaning up.

5. A convoy of army trucks.
Good job of recording and reporting on this mess.
01-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Good job of recording and reporting on this mess.
Thanks! Just returned from another island with sunken containers along the coast. We had a spot of bad weather and everybody feared those containers would unleash a new flood of junk on the beaches. Luckily that didn't happen. With still a high tide some of people of the island of Terschelling went out on the beach to look if something was being washed ashore.

7. Lots of wind...

8. Our camera van gets sandblasted.
01-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What a shame! Wonderful photos of the recovery operation - first class photojournalism.

Jer
01-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #8

Some excellent shots there. Despite the rather sad subject I think the very first one is particularly good. Oddly enough I suspect I'd have shot it differently, with the foreground in focus and the background blurred, but I think your way is better.

01-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
What a shame! Wonderful photos of the recovery operation - first class photojournalism.

Jer
Thanks Jer! It is a shame. The area affected is my main stomping ground for photography. Which is small potatoes compared with the possible damage inflicted to the wild life by a overdose of plastics... Don't know if my photography qualifies as first class photojournalism. I a severely limited in the amount of lenses I can breng with me because I am primarily there to report on tv and radio. For most of the time I don't have the luxury of having the time to concentrate on my photography. And most of the time I don't have to deal with lots of competition because more and more news outlets rely on their reporters to snap a shot. Like I do! (With some more flying hours in photography and awesome Pentax equipment.) Today a minister (of state) visited one of the island with some real photojournalists in attendance. I a sure they were able to get a better shot then this heavily cropped photo of her arriving and the mayor of the island welcoming her. (Luckily the FA31mm is sharp and with a K-1 one can crop a photo a whole lot before the quality is compromised.)

QuoteOriginally posted by niblue Quote
Some excellent shots there. Despite the rather sad subject I think the very first one is particularly good. Oddly enough I suspect I'd have shot it differently, with the foreground in focus and the background blurred, but I think your way is better.
Thanks! If those people far away were closer up I'll probably would take the photo the way you described. They seemed too far away to be recognizable in a blurred background.

Cheers,

Remco
01-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Very good reporting! The mass of humanity has reached a point of all to regularly imposing dangerously upon the environment. This great effort, in the case of this unfortunate event, is very admirable!
01-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Very good reporting! The mass of humanity has reached a point of all to regularly imposing dangerously upon the environment. This great effort, in the case of this unfortunate event, is very admirable!
Thanks! It is very good to see lots of people from al walks of life coming together to make a difference. It adds a very important silver lining to this calamity.