Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A shot from Union Square
Posted By: NaClH2O, 02-27-2007, 10:54 AM

So yesterday was my B'day, so I took the day off and went downtown to Adorama. I think for the first time in my life I got only what I had on my list (nothing exciting 3 filters, couple of lens cases, lens pen etc) and didn't walk out with a host of extras. On the way back thru Union Square, I happened to look up and see good old George with the ESB disappearing into the fog behind him. I pretty much like how it turned out. As always C&C appreciated. I tried it in B&W but didn't like it that much. DS with the kit lens at 55mm f5.6 at 1/180 400 ISO.

Original image can be found here:
SmugMug - saltwater : Picture of the Week

NaCl(thanks for looking)H2O
Views: 2,071
02-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it was dark enough, that building in the background would have looked like a "dunce" hat.
02-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I couldn't do that to good old George

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
If it was dark enough, that building in the background would have looked like a "dunce" hat.
I still have memories of him being loaded up with flowers (the whole south part of the square actually) just after 9/11. It was quite a sight, thousands and thousands of candles and a ton (literally) of flowers. I was very proud of my fellow New Yorkers during that time.

NaCl(the whole city came together then)H2O
02-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A little playing....

Hope you don't mind, and if you do I will remove it, but when you mentioned B&W for this shot, it got my curiosity up to see if I could accent it with a different technique.

Basically I made a sketch of it, enhance the colors of the base photo and overlayed the sketch with blend mode pinlight. A little dodge and burn to put more emphasis on the statue.

Twas a bit grainy, probably due to the ISO 400 or the small shot to start with but, at least for me, it adds some flavor.

What do you think?

Last edited by clarenceclose; 01-13-2008 at 07:58 PM.
02-27-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Hope you don't mind, and if you do I will remove it, but when you mentioned B&W for this shot, it got my curiosity up to see if I could accent it with a different technique.

Basically I made a sketch of it, enhance the colors of the base photo and overlayed the sketch with blend mode pinlight. A little dodge and burn to put more emphasis on the statue.

Twas a bit grainy, probably due to the ISO 400 or the small shot to start with but, at least for me, it adds some flavor.

What do you think?
Snow in Union Square! Nice effect!

Salty - I couldn't do the dunce cap to George either.
02-27-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hi Clarence, I kinda like it, but you have to really struggle to see the ESB. The whole reason I liked the shot was there revolutionary statue with this huge skyscraper in the background. I'll try fiddling with it and see what I can come up with. I've also got a couple of other shots of it. Maybe one of those, though I do like the fog enveloping the ESB.

NaCl(it's not one or the other, it's both)H2O