Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Pentax can't do sports! :)
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 
Posted By: bdery, 01-29-2019, 06:53 AM

It seems Pentax can't do sports. However, since I didn't know that, here's a fun few pictures I captured last Saturday.

Views: 801
01-30-2019, 04:51 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely captured. Did you use AF-C or individual AF-S shots for these? The reviewers I have seen have found the K-1 not great with tracking an approaching subject like someone running or a car driving towards the camera. That may be the kind of tracking that the K-1 might struggle with.
01-30-2019, 06:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nicely captured. Did you use AF-C or individual AF-S shots for these? The reviewers I have seen have found the K-1 not great with tracking an approaching subject like someone running or a car driving towards the camera. That may be the kind of tracking that the K-1 might struggle with.
i find the comments about focus tracking on moving objects curious. Many years ago, when i bought my PZ-1, it had a feature linked to the AF and Power Zoom called image size tracking, using predictive autofocus to not only track the focus of a subject, but also move the zoom so the image remained scaled / framed as intended even though it was coming towards you.

where did all that software from the PZ-1 end up? in the trash? the only time i saw that system confused was when i put my daughter on a swing. it just couldnt cope with cyclic motion.

but the point is, it is not impossible to deal with isubjects coming at you, only that since focus is non linear (i mean look at an old mf lens, from infinity to 10 meters is a 1/4 turn of the focusing collar, and from 10 meters to minimum focus is another 1/4 turn. so the rate of change of focus adjustment needs to be faster when the subject gets close, but otherwise is it that hard?
01-30-2019, 06:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Did you use AF-C or individual AF-S shots for these?
The first was shot with AF-S and proper technique. The other two with AF-C and burst mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
where did all that software from the PZ-1 end up?
I believe (not sure) that power zoom was prone to mechanical failures, so maybe the software went away with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
it is not impossible to deal with isubjects coming at you
Of course not impossible. "Some" review sites make the assumption that since other companies are leading regarding tracking (which is true), then Pentax is incapable of providing a sharp image (which isn't true). One such site also assumes that the camera should be a replacement for lack of technique or of understanding of the system.

01-30-2019, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Snip......

One such site also assumes that the camera should be a replacement for lack of technique or of understanding of the system.
But of course the camera is the replacement for lack of technique and understanding. That's why we always have discussions about "pro" cameras, isn't it

While some reviewers may consider this the case, I am sure most of the public assume this also, just search for threads with the clause, "that looks like an expensive camera, it must take great pcitures"
01-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very well captured.