Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Day's end gift
Posted By: spyglass, 09-30-2008, 12:06 AM

Every once in a while I will get the urge to capture a sunset. Sunday was one of those days. I do not know if it was because I had enjoyed a wonderful day outdoors and wanted to find a worthy conclusion to the day or if subconsciously I knew that the rainy season was just around the corner and the clear skies and sunsets would soon be a distant memory. I jumped in my truck and headed to a place that I book marked as a possible candidate for water and sunsets. The sun was well into its descent and I was racing against time, maybe that added to the thrill of it all by creating a sense urgency. For me sunsets always seem to be about trying to get a bit better location, reaching for a bigger peace that is just past the finger tips while time is against you. I remember a photography teacher telling me once that the magic really happens after the sun is below the horizon, that is when all the colours come out to play.

Generally I like to use filters when capturing sunsets as it can enhance colours and play up the conditions in the sky. I did not have any with me this day, but I did try something I read about in a photo magazine a while back - altering the cameras WB (white balance). I was surprised at how many different results this achieved and would recommend everyone to give it a try (of course filters and methods that stray too far from the path are subjective and everyone has their own tastes)

Thanks for looking
Views: 2,373
10-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Stunning is all I got to say about that......

10-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nope, I was studying at UBC and lived in Richmond for awhile and on Point Gray on the Endowment Lands and from there to Bamfield on Vancouver Island.

I have been to Chilliwack, however. Very, very nice place. In fact, all of BC is a very nice place.

Steve
BC is really a gem, especially if you are willing to get out, explore, and suck it all in. The Endowment lands / UBC are beautiful. I did all my high school years on Vancouver Island and have a real soft spot for the area. Of all the places I have travelled, it is hard to find a place that offers such a range of natural beauty. It is the best place in Canada in my opinion. (but perhaps I am a bit bias). The power of any river is strong, but the Fraser River seems to connect with you on several levels. It has such an historic past, it has offered so much and taken much more.
10-01-2008, 11:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful photos, Spyglass.

And you are correct, that might be the last sunset be see until spring.

Thanks for sharing! And thanks for the white balence tip. Never thought of that.

Eric.