Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Datsun 2000 Roadster
Camera: iPhone Xs Photo Location: Houston, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 01-30-2019, 02:26 PM

I as far I can recall, I've never seen a Datsun 2000 in the flesh. I photographed this one in the small classic car section of the Houston Auto Show.

I did this one in B&W simply because I'm exploring post processing of files transferred to my Mac from my iPhone Xs. The iPhone won't replace my K-1, but I think it may be a good substitute for my Panasonic LX100 when I'm traveling.

Jer

Views: 1,277
01-30-2019, 03:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Now that is a classic and not seen on the roads much anymore..........well captured.
01-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot - and nice car. Your image shows the clean lines very well. I saw two 1600s in some out-of-the-way place the other day. That was a bit unusual. I think it may have been a car club run
01-30-2019, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I as far I can recall, I've never seen a Datsun 2000 in the flesh. I photographed this one in the small classic car section of the Houston Auto Show.

I did this one in B&W simply because I'm exploring post processing of files transferred to my Mac from my iPhone Xs. The iPhone won't replace my K-1, but I think it may be a good substitute for my Panasonic LX100 when I'm traveling.

Jer

I wish that was my Fairlady.

01-30-2019, 09:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Now that is a classic and not seen on the roads much anymore..........well captured.
Probably because most Datsuns these days are more rust than car.
01-30-2019, 10:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Good point
01-30-2019, 11:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Nice shot.

It may look like a Japanese MGB but it actually came out a few months before the British crapwagon icon.
01-30-2019, 11:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Nice shot.

It may look like a Japanese MGB but it actually came out a few months before the British crapwagon icon.
The MGB was manufactured from 1962 to 1980. The original model of the Datsun Fairlady with that shape and chassis ran from 1963 to 1965 (its successors – the 2000 series – ran to 1970). MGBs were reliable but not particularly fast. The Fairlady had a much more modern engine (a Daimler-Benz 6-cylinder with 2 cylinders removed, IIRC).

Nice shot with the iPhone camera, Racer.

01-31-2019, 06:35 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i can almost feel the wind in my... oh wait, i have no hair...
it's a beauty, would love to take it out for a spring fling....
dave m
01-31-2019, 07:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

My sister had that one or one close to it. The engine fell apart every six months like clock work, it was in the shop more than it was on the road. She started calling her mechanic by his first name. he got mentioned so often I though he was a personal friend. They owned a duplex. The second half of the house was the auto shop. At one point the body sat in there for two years, this after my dad kicked the car out of the his garage. In the end she got good money for it, but nothing like what she put into it for a few days of summer fun screaming up and down the 401 with the top down. It brings back memories, unfortunately not good ones. I never actually got a ride in it. I only ever saw it in the "shop" I never saw it move.
01-31-2019, 09:34 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Thanks, my friend.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice shot - and nice car. Your image shows the clean lines very well. I saw two 1600s in some out-of-the-way place the other day. That was a bit unusual. I think it may have been a car club run
I appreciate the nice words.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I wish that was my Fairlady.
Glad you liked seeing this one.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
That's why the company eliminated Datsun name and replaced with the Nissan marque - a bold approach to conquering rust.
Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Nice shot.

Thanks, glad you like the pic.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The MGB was manufactured from 1962 to 1980. The original model of the Datsun Fairlady with that shape and chassis ran from 1963 to 1965 (its successors – the 2000 series – ran to 1970). MGBs were reliable but not particularly fast. The Fairlady had a much more modern engine (a Daimler-Benz 6-cylinder with 2 cylinders removed, IIRC).

Nice shot with the iPhone camera, Racer.
Thanks. I'd never even tried the cameras in my previous iPhones; I was surprised at the effectiveness of the one in my Xs. BTW, I'm Sailor, who loves cars. Racer X, one of our mods, not only loves 'em but knows far more about them than I do.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
i can almost feel the wind in my... oh wait, i have no hair...
it's a beauty, would love to take it out for a spring fling....
dave m
You're lucky, Dave - you won't have to put up with hair blowing in your eyes as you motor along.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My sister had that one or one close to it. The engine fell apart every six months like clock work, it was in the shop more than it was on the road. She started calling her mechanic by his first name. he got mentioned so often I though he was a personal friend. They owned a duplex. The second half of the house was the auto shop. At one point the body sat in there for two years, this after my dad kicked the car out of the his garage. In the end she got good money for it, but nothing like what she put into it for a few days of summer fun screaming up and down the 401 with the top down. It brings back memories, unfortunately not good ones. I never actually got a ride in it. I only ever saw it in the "shop" I never saw it move.
That reminds me of my experience in the early '80s with my '82 Camaro, which was in the dealer's shop so often, people thought I worked there.

Jer
01-31-2019, 09:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

That reminds me of my experience in the early '80s with my '82 Camaro, which was in the dealer's shop so often, people thought I worked there.

Jer
The worst for that had to be jaguars. There was a guy who worked exclusively on Jags next to one of the Cabinet shops I worked in. I used to talk to him from time to time out at the canteen. One day I asked him how many regular customers he had . He said "Oh 40-60" " I looked at him incredulously. "You can make a decent living with 40-60 customers?" He said, "You can with Jaguars."
01-31-2019, 04:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW, I'm Sailor, who loves cars. Racer X, one of our mods, not only loves 'em but knows far more about them than I do.

Jer
Apologies, Jer. Brain apparently wasn’t engaged before keyboard.
02-01-2019, 06:26 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The worst for that had to be jaguars. There was a guy who worked exclusively on Jags next to one of the Cabinet shops I worked in. I used to talk to him from time to time out at the canteen. One day I asked him how many regular customers he had . He said "Oh 40-60" " I looked at him incredulously. "You can make a decent living with 40-60 customers?" He said, "You can with Jaguars."
Jags certainly have that reputation, and the anecdotal "data" I've collected from Jag-owning friends certainly back that up.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Apologies, Jer. Brain apparently wasn’t engaged before keyboard.
No worries, Rob. I was just pulling your chain. Honestly, I've done the same thing on the Forum more than once - for the same reason: brain and fingers not in sync!

Jer
02-01-2019, 06:41 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Jags certainly have that reputation, and the anecdotal "data" I've collected from Jag-owning friends certainly back that up.
A friend took me out on his dad's once in my teens, I can still remember what it was like I was still sitting in it. The smell of leather, the burly wood interior accents, the feel of an airplane cockpit.. There's a car that makes an impression.