Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Panning the landing, saved by the strobe?
Lens: D-FA 24-70 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Amsterdam Airport Schiphol ISO: 640 Shutter Speed: 1/13s Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: greenbaron, 02-01-2019, 01:42 AM

Panning picture from a while back, don't think I shared it before. Keeps me wondering if it was a failed shot or not. Or both? The panning went wrong, but there's some thick smoke from the landing which is frozen in a motion blurred scene which looks.. kind of neat if I say so myself

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 590
02-01-2019, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
A few results that worked more the way I intended them to. Normally my preference is to have the nose section sharp (non-blurred), but it's quite hard to control the panning motion that precise. Then being at the touchdown zone doesn't make it any easier as vertical motion and rotation may be present as well. Possibly not be the best technique if you really need a good shot of a particular plane at a particular time, but if that doesn't apply it's fun to set out and get lucky. Also a 70-200 lens will be the better choice, but budget has a different opinion
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-01-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This last one is very nice!
02-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, that last one is a keeper!

02-02-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
This last one is very nice!

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Yep, that last one is a keeper!
Cheers, thanks guys. Get the side-on usually results in most uniform sharpness. And of course a B747 is never a dull sight! Image attached is from 2011, I'm hoping to repeat it some day though it feels like hoping to win a lottery twice.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo