Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Jpg vs. RAW
Posted By: darthku, 09-30-2008, 09:11 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but all comments are welcome. I just started to shoot in RAW and processing in Lightroom 2.0. Attached is a comparison pic with the jpg on the left and RAW on the right. A couple people I have asked have said the jpg looks better and can't really tell if the RAW is sharper.
Camera: K10D
Lens: Tamron 17-50
100% crop

Views: 6,903
09-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The processed JPED does look better, but the RAW is sharper.
09-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would agree with BBear. I can mostly see the difference in the tall building on the left side of the picture. The vertical lines are more defined. Plus the smaller building in the same location (one with the flag & clock) just seem more defined as well.
09-30-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The RAW is sharper.

09-30-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The RAW is definitely sharper (see the bird in the center of the pic), but the default PP in Lightroom did not do the image any good. You might want to zero the image and start over!

Steve
09-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
YJD
Veteran Member

The RAW is sharper. I think the reason why the JPEG looks better is about the white balance, which you need to set in RAW anyway. So if you redo your RAW in whatever software, you should get a better IQ than the JPEG.

That's the thought of a newbie
09-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
The raw file probably has more fidelity. It's defintely sharper looking and has less de-mosaicing artifacts. If people like the jpeg version, you can easily change the presets/calibration in lightroom to give you that - that's the beauty of raw.

I PP'd the raw version (from the jpeg) to give it the same saturated punch as the original jpeg... if that's the look, one likes, it's easy to do.

09-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

RAW definitely is sharper/crisp. JPG has fuzzy look. People telling JPG looks better are partially right. Choose a better WB adjustment option while processing RAW. I dont know what WB settings you used in JPEG and what did you use in processing the RAW but this is perfect daylight shot. Try processing the RAW shot with Daylight white balance and see if it looks closer to the real one what you saw with your eyes?

Atindra
09-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Oh is this one of those "spot the differences" like they have in Highlights?

Let's see.
The kid only has three buttons on his shirt in that picture.
The clown is juggling plates instead of balls.
Little girl's dress is shorter there.
The dog is chasing the cat in this one and in that one the cat is chasing the dog.
And if I stare at the image long enough and allow my eyes to cross, right in the center I can see what looks like a cowboy on a horse or flying saucer maybe.

No? Not the responses you had in mind?
09-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks guys, great feedback. I just did an auto-tone in Lightroom for the RAW. I'm gonna go back and play with the sliders some more.

Nowhere Matt - try counting the windows in the buildings... don't forget to count the small ones way in the back
09-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Kinda beating a dead horse, but the RAW seems to have more definition in the trestles on the bridge.
09-30-2008, 08:04 PM   #12

Agreed, RAW is much sharper - even for this newbie.
10-01-2008, 05:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Konos Quote
Agreed, RAW is much sharper - even for this newbie.
It's not even that the the RAW is sharper, it has far less noise/compression artifacts than the JPEG does. The sky in the JPEG is mottled and looks like film grain (not to go down that path...), and the edges of objects look fuzzy where there is a tonal change.

This is a clear example of where the extra bits in the RAW format illustrate how much finer detail you can get with the same shot over in-camera JPEG.
10-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #14
Inactive Account

The RAW image is certainly better (with some proper WB)...and Nowhere Matt is stoned. (he he)

c[_]