Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
House of gold
Lens: Carl Zeiss 21mm Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Ottawa Ontario ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: swip, 02-04-2019, 08:05 AM

Yesterday was cold with snow and freezing rain.
I went out and about to find something interesting to take pictures of.
Drove by this green house in the famous Experimental Farm in Ottawa and found it interesting.
Definitely a place of warmth in a cold miserable day!

Views: 908
02-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice! I used to live just near there have taken very similar photos. It's definitely really cool to see those buildings glowing away in the snow and at night.

---------- Post added 02-04-19 at 12:17 PM ----------

I wonder what lights they use in there, I always found they're really harsh in the sensor, makes for some neat photos.

Atomic greenhouse | Robert Y | Flickr
02-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote

---------- Post added 02-04-19 at 12:17 PM ----------

I wonder what lights they use in there, I always found they're really harsh in the sensor, makes for some neat photos.

I was attracted by the golden glow like a moth.

After taken the photos and got home to process them. I found it difficult to recreate the same light color and warmth that I felt when I saw it in person.
02-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
I was attracted by the golden glow like a moth.

After taken the photos and got home to process them. I found it difficult to recreate the same light color and warmth that I felt when I saw it in person.
I felt the exact same way! :^)

There are a lot of cool old and new buildings around there. Great spot for a photo walk.

02-04-2019, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is nice. It must have incredible insulation because there is no visible snow melt on the bits close to it.
02-04-2019, 03:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is somewhat of a bizarre sight; that much of a difference between inside and outside. Cool photo!
02-04-2019, 08:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Drove by this green house in the famous Experimental Farm in Ottawa and found it interesting.
We've seen a lot of greenhouses in Ontario's tomato growing region, but never one after dusk nor one with snow around it. Good catch!!

02-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

We have literally hundreds of acres of those in our county down here at the most southern tip of Canada. They are essential if farmers want to produce food or flowers during the winter but light pollution is becoming a major problem from all those grow lights. The entire night sky just glows if there is any fog or low cloud around and it's not just a yellow glow either, some farms have been experimenting with pink and/or purple lights as different colours are supposedly better for different crops. It makes it hard to sleep when your bedroom windows are glowing with the reflected light. With all the snow we've had recently it's compounded the issue as there are more reflective surfaces to bounce the light around. I have a medical disability (ME/CFS) and it's vital that I get good, restive, sleep but we had to hang a blanket over our bedroom curtains to make the bedroom dark enough so that I could sleep.
02-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
We have literally hundreds of acres of those in our county down here at the most southern tip of Canada. They are essential if farmers want to produce food or flowers during the winter but light pollution is becoming a major problem from all those grow lights. The entire night sky just glows if there is any fog or low cloud around and it's not just a yellow glow either, some farms have been experimenting with pink and/or purple lights as different colours are supposedly better for different crops. It makes it hard to sleep when your bedroom windows are glowing with the reflected light. With all the snow we've had recently it's compounded the issue as there are more reflective surfaces to bounce the light around. I have a medical disability (ME/CFS) and it's vital that I get good, restive, sleep but we had to hang a blanket over our bedroom curtains to make the bedroom dark enough so that I could sleep.
That is a very concerning perspective that I never imagined.
02-05-2019, 12:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
That sounds like exactly where we go - my wife is a bird watcher, so we make an annual migration to Pt. Pelee NP, the southernmost tip of Canada.
02-05-2019, 03:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That sounds like exactly where we go - my wife is a bird watcher, so we make an annual migration to Pt. Pelee NP, the southernmost tip of Canada.
It IS exactly where you go!

I live two towns to the west of Point Pelee in Kingsville, Ontario.

I did a report of my last visit to the point here: A visit to Point Pelee National Park - PentaxForums.com

Our town also holds a festival to celebrate the bird migration every fall which attracts many birders.
02-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #12
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My guess is that they are high pressure sodium lights which used to be the norm for outdoor lighting when you needed high intensity without massive energy costs. With the development of LEDs it is now possible to experiment with other colors. Pushing into the blues gets you shorter wavelengths which may be beneficial to a number of plants.

Great use of an odd setting to capture some light and warmth in this tough winter.
10-11-2019, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Mulder, Scully ? Where are you ?
12-12-2021, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That light is mqgic
12-14-2021, 08:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The yellow glow is surely mesmerizing.