Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
8 Likes  #1
Anna's Hummingbird in snow
Lens: Pentax D-FA* 70-200 Camera: Pentax K1 Photo Location: Seattle ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F5 
Posted By: vitc, 02-09-2019, 11:16 AM

Seattle is covered with snow for the last few days, and we've got more overnight. I guess it's hard time for hummingbirds - all food is covered with snow and frozen. I try to keep the syrup in my feeder warm, and the birds appear in minutes once I bring the feeder outside. It's too cold to fly, so they let me approach a little bit closer than usual.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 381
02-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lovely shot and good on you for feeding them
02-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #3
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vitc Quote
Seattle is covered with snow for the last few days, and we've got more overnight. I guess it's hard time for hummingbirds - all food is covered with snow and frozen. I try to keep the syrup in my feeder warm, and the birds appear in minutes once I bring the feeder outside.
Nice photo, and good for you to go to so much effort to feed them.

I don't understand this phrase. They don't walk to your yard
QuoteQuote:
It's too cold to fly,
02-09-2019, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful picture.

02-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Nice photo, and good for you to go to so much effort to feed them.
I don't understand this phrase. They don't walk to your yard
Thank you! I am sorry for the confusion - English in my second language. You are correct, they didn't walk What I meant is that hummingbirds are usually very cautious creatures and don't let people approach close - they fly away. And they spend a lot of time in air. In this weather, however, they try to keep heat. So, they sit in a tree close to the feeder, with feathers fluffed, not moving much. They let approach them closer, because flying means losing heat. I guess that's why I was able to approach the bird close enough to take the picture.
02-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #6
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you! I am sorry for the confusion - English in my second language. You are correct, they didn't walk What I meant is that hummingbirds are usually very cautious creatures and don't let people approach close - they fly away. And they spend a lot of time in air. In this weather, however, they try to keep heat. So, they sit in a tree close to the feeder, with feathers fluffed, not moving much. They let approach them closer, because flying means losing heat. I guess that's why I was able to approach the bird close enough to take the picture.
Thank you for the lengthy explanation - seeing this bird puffed up certainly is an unusual view of one.
02-09-2019, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

so they let me approach a little bit closer than usual.
This is a very nice photo! I also have Anna's in my yard, but in Northern California where I it doesn't get quite as cold as what you experience. In winter when it is cold, they become very attached to my feeders, and if I take them in to clean and refill them, they will land on the feeder while I am still carrying it back out to hang it. I need to figure out a way to take a photo of this
02-09-2019, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hot toddies for the Hummers - I'm sure they're appreciating you right now! Great shot. Hope it warms up soon Seattle.

02-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
This is a very nice photo! I also have Anna's in my yard, but in Northern California where I it doesn't get quite as cold as what you experience. In winter when it is cold, they become very attached to my feeders, and if I take them in to clean and refill them, they will land on the feeder while I am still carrying it back out to hang it. I need to figure out a way to take a photo of this
Thank you, and wow - what you tell is amazing! The birds around my place don't trust me as much yet. It would be really awesome if you could take of picture of this. I am looking forward to see it!
02-11-2019, 12:09 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent job on this one!
02-11-2019, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I've been standing on a chair and holding my wife's hairdryer out the window to try to keep ours thawed. The resident Annas buzz all around me like bees until it's ready.