Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Autumn+Covered bridge+orton
Posted By: regken, 09-30-2008, 03:25 PM

Not sure if I'm crazy about this one but it was good practice. What do you folks think?

Thanks,
Ken

Views: 1,778
09-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ken, I like the right-hand side with the red maple and the barn, the other side and foreground are kind of dark on my (non-calibrated) monitor. I like the composition and the feel of it, it reminds me of a picture you might see on an old calendar.
09-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Nice shot, I haven't been over to Leonard's Mill for awhile, I'll have to get out there soon before the leaves fall
09-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbuttitta Quote
Nice shot, I haven't been over to Leonard's Mill for awhile, I'll have to get out there soon before the leaves fall
This coming weekend is the historic days thing. want to meet up on Sat.?

09-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
Damn Brit

Reg, I actually think this is one of your best yet. The composition is good, I like the subject matter and I like the combination of light and dark.

Now here's where I get creative in my head. If the aspect of that composition is suitable, it would be great to take the same shot at the other end of the day so that the sun was shining on the trees and the building in the background while the closer was in the shade, ie the opposite exposure to the first shot.
Hope that makes sense.
09-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Reg, I actually think this is one of your best yet. The composition is good, I like the subject matter and I like the combination of light and dark.

Now here's where I get creative in my head. If the aspect of that composition is suitable, it would be great to take the same shot at the other end of the day so that the sun was shining on the trees and the building in the background while the closer was in the shade, ie the opposite exposure to the first shot.
Hope that makes sense.
Very Cool!! I was planning on going out there in the morning anyways because there is a totally different scene I wanted to try and it needs the morning light. for the shot you are talking about I might have to go back mid morning, glad it's close.

Thanks,
Ken
09-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Very Cool!! I was planning on going out there in the morning anyways because there is a totally different scene I wanted to try and it needs the morning light. for the shot you are talking about I might have to go back mid morning, glad it's close.

Thanks,
Ken
I'm sorry ken, I called you Reg. (Brain Fart)
10-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

nice image.. like how the shadow plays into this picture

10-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Meet up and shot of a bateau at Leonard's Mill

Sorry, I can't make it Saturday. We are in the middle of extensive house renovations and it is eating up all my photography time
Attached Images

10-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
JMR
Veteran Member

I guess I missed this image. It looks rather dark on my monitor, but the effect is nice. I am going to assume the scene was contrasty as I see a lot of shadow area. The difficulty with this image, is the ability to print and still hold the shadow areas. Orton does not appear to work well with high contrast areas, but you can always try.

JMR
10-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm going to take Gary's suggestion and try to catch the light from the opposite side then print both as a set to see if it works. JMR, you might be right as far as the darkness is concerned. This may be one where I waste some money getting them printed several times.

Thanks,
Ken
10-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It's a very calming scene.