Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
No one in control tower
Lens: Pentax-DA 55-300mm PLM Camera: Pentax KP ISO: 4400 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: reh321, 02-11-2019, 12:58 PM

When this cardinal arrived at our bird feeder in snow showers, he had to stop and hover like a hummer while he located a landing spot. I'm guessing he couldn't see well enough to go straight in as they usually do {I'm glad I could view this operation from our living room rather being out there in the cold and snow}

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by reh321; 02-11-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Views: 720
01-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When this cardinal arrived at our bird feeder in snow showers, he had to stop and hover like a hummer while he located a landing spot. I'm guessing he couldn't see well enough to go straight in as they usually do {I'm glad I could view this operation from our living room rather being out there in the cold and snow}
Great action!
01-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
Great action!
Thank you for your comment.

Yes all kinds of action can occur around a Bird Feeder, but it typically lasts just a second or two, so I will miss it unless I am already set up when it starts.
01-08-2020, 09:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, this is great! Reminds me of watching bird feeders with my grandmother when I was little; she had a screened in porch surrounded by her flower garden and feeders.

01-08-2020, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
Wow, this is great! Reminds me of watching bird feeders with my grandmother when I was little; she had a screened in porch surrounded by her flower garden and feeders.
Thank you for your comment.

Yes now that she has retired, my-wife-the-birdwatcher has also discovered that even just watching nearly-captive birds at the feeders sometimes has even more drama than we could see on TV.
01-08-2020, 09:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I've seen you post this pic but I don't think I've ever commented on it. Love the cardinal in this shot, such a funny pose.
01-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I've seen you post this pic but I don't think I've ever commented on it. Love the cardinal in this shot, such a funny pose.
Thank you for commenting now.

From what I saw, the Cardinal was in the position I am when I discover there are no chairs to sit at the table just as I rush up and am ready to sit in one - except he doesn’t fall down. He actually hovered for a few seconds as the pigeons found room for him.