Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
$400 Point and Shoot (Sony HX90V) Birds in Flight
Lens: Zeiss 24-720MM 3.5-6.3 Camera: Sony HX90V Photo Location: Porter, IN Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: Lmcfarrin, 02-17-2019, 04:16 PM

HX90V has the speed to make the capture, but lacks the dynamic range and resolving power.

---------- Post added 02-17-19 at 05:21 PM ----------

Bird Sizes:

Starling = Same size as a Blue Jay
Nuthatch = As long as and 1/2 the width of your palm
Black Capped Chickadee = 3/4 the length and 1/3 width of your palm

Last edited by Lmcfarrin; 06-19-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Views: 1,154
02-20-2019, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,420
Nice images, and tough to capture birds in flight, those little guys are really tough....
But with images like this don't you wish you'd used a better camera?
It's even more work and harder to get the images with the smaller camera.

Occasionally I use a small format camera, when I didn't bring anything else, but diffraction and noise always make me wish I'd brought the APS-c at least.

Apart from that, those captures are very good.
02-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Lmcfarrin's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Indiana
Photos: Albums
Posts: 760
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Nice images, and tough to capture birds in flight, those little guys are really tough....
But with images like this don't you wish you'd used a better camera?
It's even more work and harder to get the images with the smaller camera.

Occasionally I use a small format camera, when I didn't bring anything else, but diffraction and noise always make me wish I'd brought the APS-c at least.

Apart from that, those captures are very good.
Thank you for the review and taking time to evaluate my pics.

I have 7 cameras (Oly E-M1II, Oly E-M5, Pentax K-5, Pentax K-3 II, Sony A6000, Sony RX10 III). I have a well defined bird in flight recipe.

I've posted many posts of birds in flight. This post was basically to review the capabilities or lack thereof of a 1/2 sensor point and shoot class camera.
02-20-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,420
QuoteOriginally posted by Lmcfarrin Quote
Thank you for the review and taking time to evaluate my pics.

I have 7 cameras (Oly E-M1II, Oly E-M5, Pentax K-5, Pentax K-3 II, Sony A6000, Sony RX10 III). I have a well defined bird in flight recipe.

I've posted many posts of birds in flight. This post was basically to review the capabilities or lack thereof of a 1/2 sensor point and shoot class camera.
I did my best to make my 1:1.2 sensor work, but for long telephoto the diffraction limit comes up way too quickly. For wide angle macro at 2.8 it works great. Right tool for the job and all that.

02-20-2019, 07:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Lmcfarrin's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Indiana
Photos: Albums
Posts: 760
Original Poster
My experience using all the mentioned cameras - E-M1 II is awesome camera, best out of the bunch, but 2nd in video to rx10 III
02-21-2019, 06:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,420
I assume you mean best of the bunch for capturing the image. Or are you talking IQ of the final image?
02-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Lmcfarrin's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Indiana
Photos: Albums
Posts: 760
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I assume you mean best of the bunch for capturing the image. Or are you talking IQ of the final image?
Best overall - Beast

02-21-2019, 09:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,420
QuoteOriginally posted by Lmcfarrin Quote
Best overall - Beast
So this isn't an IQ comparison?
Ergonomics, AF speed, handling, portability etc. are all included in the assessment?
02-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Lmcfarrin's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Indiana
Photos: Albums
Posts: 760
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So this isn't an IQ comparison?
Ergonomics, AF speed, handling, portability etc. are all included in the assessment?
best in every way - to me. Tremendously feature packed and technological tool. Theres features in the camera that many users haven't reviewed and the successor is out.

---------- Post added 02-21-19 at 10:30 AM ----------

I use all the mentioned cameras on a day to day basis. The camera has everything - so much an upgrade to the e-m1x is uneccessary. 15fps mechanical shutter (raw + j[peg), up to 60 fps electronic shutter (raw + jpeg). UHD 4K and Cinema 4k (24P). Pre capture stills mode (pre capture 35 stills prior to pressing the shutter to rattle off up to 99 stills in one burst - bout 15 seconds to clear the buffer after taking 99 shots. Can customize and rearrange almost every button on the camera to function as you wish - and on and on.

Camera has a focus limiter, equivalent but more advanced than the Pentax Catch In Focus feature. I can specifically set feet/meters of the focus zone and the camera will fire when subject enters the zone, but can still use continuous focus tracking. I can enter a menu and dial in changes to sharpness or softness of compatible lenses - raise soft areas or soften sharp areas. High resolution mod = up to 80mp. The new e-m1x can per high res mode handheld.

.... and I'm a Pentaxian

Last edited by Lmcfarrin; 02-21-2019 at 09:49 AM.
02-21-2019, 09:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,420
Comparing the Oly E-M1III with a K-P, at 1600 ISO on Imaging Resources the K-P is marginally better in some areas, the Oly is clearly better in other areas. And the Oly in the Oly version of pixel shift out resolves a K-1 (with a bit more colour shift and false colour).

Certainly an interesting camera. Expensive though. Costs more than a K-1 but not nearly the resolution in standard mode. Impressive lw/ph for such a small sensor. Lw/ph as good as a K-3. If I had a $4.5k (CAD) lying around (that would be my minimum kit) , I'd be tempted. There are some really nice images on flickr. Thanks for the tip.
02-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Lmcfarrin's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Indiana
Photos: Albums
Posts: 760
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Comparing the Oly E-M1III with a K-P, at 1600 ISO on Imaging Resources the K-P is marginally better in some areas, the Oly is clearly better in other areas. And the Oly in the Oly version of pixel shift out resolves a K-1 (with a bit more colour shift and false colour).

Certainly an interesting camera. Expensive though. Costs more than a K-1 but not nearly the resolution in standard mode. Impressive lw/ph for such a small sensor. Lw/ph as good as a K-3. If I had a $4.5k (CAD) lying around (that would be my minimum kit) , I'd be tempted. There are some really nice images on flickr. Thanks for the tip.
I haven't shot the KP, but i agree with you. From what I've researched about the KP, I think the KP would out resolve the Oly E-M1 II (image quality and dynamic range). I'm waiting for KP price to come down. Also, have been tempted to grab K-70. I will not buy any camera going forward that doesnt have at least a tilt screen.
02-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,420
QuoteOriginally posted by Lmcfarrin Quote
I haven't shot the KP, but i agree with you. From what I've researched about the KP, I think the KP would out resolve the Oly E-M1 II (image quality and dynamic range). I'm waiting for KP price to come down. Also, have been tempted to grab K-70. I will not buy any camera going forward that doesnt have at least a tilt screen.
I'm sure as I get older and older, cameras like this will become more and more attractive. In many ways it's superior to a K-70 or K-P. Not every shot needs a lot of dynamic range and 18 FPS with tracking AF on is pretty much to die for, and the 51 shot buffer is a nice size. It has a lot going for it. It would make a nice companion camera to a K-1, except for the incomparable lenses thing. It has a lot going for it. Imaging Resources gave it 5 out of 5, you don't see that often.

One of the big attractions for me is the equivalent lw/ph on a smaller file size than a K-P. It's amazing what some of these small sensors can do.

The tilt screen thing is big. I've always thought it was great idea, and the one on my K-1 is used more than I would have anticipated.

Last edited by normhead; 02-21-2019 at 11:16 AM.
02-21-2019, 12:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,155
QuoteOriginally posted by Lmcfarrin Quote
I'm waiting for KP price to come down. Also, have been tempted to grab K-70.
The KP was $700 over the Christmas {buying} Season; I'll be surprised if it goes below that level anytime soon, so I guess you'll need to be veerrryyyy patient.
02-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Lmcfarrin's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Indiana
Photos: Albums
Posts: 760
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The KP was $700 over the Christmas {buying} Season; I'll be surprised if it goes below that level anytime soon, so I guess you'll need to be veerrryyyy patient.
It'll be worth the wait
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
4k, birds in flight, camera, day, jpeg, lmcfarrin, palm, photo, point and shoot, pre, shutter, sony hx90v, width
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony a6000 or Sony a6300 or Sony a6500? LeDave Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Other Camera Brands 5 09-27-2018 03:45 AM
Nature birds birds birds and a squirrel alltatts Post Your Photos! 8 03-18-2016 07:50 AM
Point and Shoot Competition #71. Shoot anything! barondla Ricoh Theta 360 Cameras 71 11-14-2013 05:46 PM
Photographing birds / birds in flight - hellllllp! Big G Photographic Technique 31 12-19-2010 02:13 PM
Birds, birds and more birds OrenMc Post Your Photos! 10 01-17-2009 07:47 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:42 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top