Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Algonquin Park, Family Day Weekend
Lens: DA*200 2.8 with F 1.7x- XG-1 Camera: K-1, XG-1 Photo Location: Algonquin Park ISO: 100 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: normhead, 02-19-2019, 06:08 PM

A few from the weekend.

Looking for Canada Jays

I got a Chickadee

Mr. Dubioous.... "I'm, on to you buddy."

Definitely not on to me.

Taking pictures of a Pine Martin in a fir tree.

In the parking lot ready to go home, finally the Canada Jay turned up.

Last edited by normhead; 02-20-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Views: 1,442
02-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A lot of the images in your post seem to be broken for me, but I looked through your Flickr gallery. Nice shots, especially the ones off you K-1. What is that fox-like animal in the tree? Also, it was interesting to see the difference in image quality between the K-1 and XG-1.
02-20-2019, 06:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by igowerf Quote
A lot of the images in your post seem to be broken for me, but I looked through your Flickr gallery. Nice shots, especially the ones off you K-1. What is that fox-like animal in the tree? Also, it was interesting to see the difference in image quality between the K-1 and XG-1.
The animal in the tree is a Pine Marten. I double posted some of the images, then after posted deleted half. It looks like the images were cached so, I can't actually tell which ones are showing up, they all show up for me. Too bad they aren't showing up for everyone.

I took the XG-1 because we were hiking in snow and I didn't feel like having the burden of heat kit or interchangeable lenses. But it's hard with those small sensor cameras to avoid diffraction limited shots in the long end. Still, the images suit the purpose.

Last edited by normhead; 02-20-2019 at 07:37 AM.
02-20-2019, 08:06 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There is quite a few not showing up for me either Norm. And when I click on the space where they're supposed to be I get this error message on Flickr:

Oops! Looks like you followed a bad link.

Of the above that aren't showing, the titles you give are:

First one:
Looking for Canada Blue Jays

next one, I got a chickadee

Next one: Definitely not onto me.

But there are others missing. Three others missing that don't have titles and they're after the last one with a title.

02-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Maybe I just have to redo all the links, I was hoping to avoid that... I'm pretty sure it's just the XG-1 images that need to be redone.
02-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Are you using the BBcode when you post them? If you chose BBcode to post with, it shouldn't matter what camera you used to take the photos with.
02-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Are you using the BBcode when you post them? If you chose BBcode to post with, it shouldn't matter what camera you used to take the photos with.
The issue was one set got double posted , the XG-1 images, the K-1 images taken the next day were only posted once. When I deleted the doubles, I obviously deleted the one's I'd linked to.

02-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Well, that's much better, most are ll there, you're still missing one though. The rest are showing up. If you're happy, I'd call that a win!
And if it helped that I told you what was missing that's a double win, eh? LOL

Nice set of photos Norm. TFS
02-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Knowing which ones were missing certainly helped figure out what happened. Thanks.
02-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're welcome!

How's Tess and the dogs?
02-20-2019, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
You're welcome!

How's Tess and the dogs?
Out for the morning dog walk at the moment, we had my canoe buddies, some of whom I've know for more almost 50 years up for family day weekend, so we're pretty much pooped. We almost slept 9 hours last night, the dogs were also exhausted or that couldn't have happened.

One of Lisa's iPhone photos of the group, hiking at Mew lake.

After dinner, real mixed bag, a public health nurse, a rocket scientist, currently under contract to the Canadian Space agency, an IT professional, a social worker who works with the mentally disabled, a couple high school teachers, although Irene spent her later years working for the union, and a retired NGO environmentalist. The discussions can be captivating.

Given my lack of sleep over the weekend, my lack of success posting should have been anticipated.

This is a group with which you really don't want to go through the embarrassment of introducing a factual mistake.
02-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

They all look good for me now, no broken links.

What's the Pine Marten situation in Algonquin? Is it a lone individual or family that everyone goes to photograph or are there a few fairly tame ones?
02-20-2019, 10:05 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Mew Lake camp ground is open year around. They actually rented every available campsite last weekend. The Pine Martens can get in and out of the garbage bins. So most of the image you see are of the 6 or so that visit the bins. Many of my images are from there. The one this year is from the Spruce Boardwalk trail. I've only ever see one there but there could be more and they only come one at a time, as opposed to Mew Lake where I've seen up to 4 at time, and once 4 plus a fox. My best images come from the parking lot in the first image. I was there when no one else was there. These animals have a route they patrol, so you have to be in the right spot at the right time. On this set of images below, the animal was up on a snow bank eating seed left out for birds. That meant I was able to get reasonably close and below the animal, enough to get some light in the background bokeh. I've only ever seen one there, and I've seen two at the Costello Creek campground, although only one this year. So different circumstances at every site, and many different places they can be seen.

Costello Creek picnic area.

Spruce Boardwalk

Cameron Road Parking lot (where most go for Canada Jay pictures).

Mew Lake campground.

I can't think of another place you can come up for a weekend and pretty much be guaranteed images of Pine Martens. Usually I only see them at one of these locations, but if you do the rounds, you'll get one somewhere. I often visit all 4 sites, they are about 20km apart from the nearest tot the furthest.

My guess is it's probably not more than 12 individuals who are being photographed. If they weren't somewhat tame you wouldn't see them at all. The trick of the wildlife photographer, go where the acclimatized animals are. I have 5 images taken in places where they are more wild, and they are all heavily cropped and taken as a whole, really bad images.

Last edited by normhead; 02-20-2019 at 10:31 AM.
02-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My best images come from the parking lot in the first image. I was there when no one else was there.
I'm not a big fan of people, so that sounds like the ideal time.

Beautiful set of Pine Marten images, and thanks for the info. Knowing your subject is a big chunk of nature photography, and you've got that in spades here.

I know there's usually a desire to exclude man-made objects from nature photos, but your first image here is my favourite (all are great!). I think it captures the setting well, the expression is terrific, and the light excellently shows their usually elusive habits with the sun on the face but rear in the shade. Fantastic detail & focus. I'll carry this one around as my mental comparison for the Algonquin Pine Marten photo standard
02-20-2019, 11:13 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I'm not a big fan of people, so that sounds like the ideal time.

Beautiful set of Pine Marten images, and thanks for the info. Knowing your subject is a big chunk of nature photography, and you've got that in spades here.

I know there's usually a desire to exclude man-made objects from nature photos, but your first image here is my favourite (all are great!). I think it captures the setting well, the expression is terrific, and the light excellently shows their usually elusive habits with the sun on the face but rear in the shade. Fantastic detail & focus. I'll carry this one around as my mental comparison for the Algonquin Pine Marten photo standard
The Pine Marten life style is tree oriented, the bottom one is probably my favourite. I was on top of a 10 foot drift made by the plow that plows the parking lot, so I was up at branch level with the little guy. That's usually not possible. I spot these guys coming because they go from branch to branch in the trees. I can see the snow falling off the branches long before I can see the Pine Martens.

---------- Post added 02-20-19 at 01:39 PM ----------

I dug out one more photo for you...
They really don't mind each others company.