5 Likes  
Algonquin Park, Family Day Weekend
Posted By: normhead, 02-19-2019, 06:08 PM

A few from the weekend.

Looking for Canada Jays

I got a Chickadee

Mr. Dubioous.... "I'm, on to you buddy."

Definitely not on to me.

Taking pictures of a Pine Martin in a fir tree.

In the parking lot ready to go home, finally the Canada Jay turned up.

Last edited by normhead; 02-20-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Views: 1,452
02-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The Pine Marten life style is tree oriented, the bottom one is probably my favourite. I was on top of a 10 foot drift made by the plow that plows the parking lot, so I was up at branch level with the little guy. That's usually not possible. I spot these guys coming because they go from branch to branch in the trees. I can see the snow falling off the branches long before I can see the Pine Martens.
The bottom one is aces for a more natural setting. Standard photography advice is to have a small stepladder handy for different viewpoints or getting level with things. Obviously it's advice for people without massive Ontario snowbanks. I did notice the eye-level viewpoint and just assumed it was lowish in the tree, the snowbank backstory definitely adds to the special.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I dug out one more photo for you...
They really don't mind each others company.
Looks ready for a playful pounce. I could see hanging out with the Pine Martens eating up a ton of time.

02-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really love the Fisher in the tress. Great image! I've been to the park a couple times myself, but like what you found a whole lot more. Thanks for sharing!
02-20-2019, 12:38 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
The bottom one is aces for a more natural setting. Standard photography advice is to have a small stepladder handy for different viewpoints or getting level with things. Obviously it's advice for people without massive Ontario snowbanks. I did notice the eye-level viewpoint and just assumed it was lowish in the tree, the snowbank backstory definitely adds to the special.

Looks ready for a playful pounce. I could see hanging out with the Pine Martens eating up a ton of time.
I've sat there for 3 hours in -20 ºC before. It's really hard to leave until they toddle off for their afternoon nap. Of course that requires really thick hunter's camo quilted pants and thick mitts you can peel off, with glove liners underneath. If you're dressed it's quite pleasant.
02-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks for the update on Tess and the fur babies, Norm. And the photo of the meeting of the minds, I would love to be the fly on the wall for those conversations.

I'm embarrassed to say, when I moved to Minnesota and heard people talking about a Pine Martin, I thought they were talking about a bird. LOL I did soon learn it wasn't a bird, but a very aggressive animal. But unfortunately, I never saw one to get a photo of either.

02-20-2019, 04:06 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series, looks like you had a fun day.
02-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Thanks for the update on Tess and the fur babies, Norm. And the photo of the meeting of the minds, I would love to be the fly on the wall for those conversations.

I'm embarrassed to say, when I moved to Minnesota and heard people talking about a Pine Martin, I thought they were talking about a bird. LOL I did soon learn it wasn't a bird, but a very aggressive animal. But unfortunately, I never saw one to get a photo of either.
I still have trouble with Martin the bird and Marten the weasel. Or is it the other way around.

---------- Post added 02-20-19 at 09:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Great series, looks like you had a fun day.
A great day, we even got a little planning done for our summer canoe trip.

---------- Post added 02-20-19 at 09:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
Really love the Fisher in the tress. Great image! I've been to the park a couple times myself, but like what you found a whole lot more. Thanks for sharing!
Living near the park and having the ability to hang out with the other photographers helps a lot.
02-20-2019, 10:47 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I'm not a big fan of people, so that sounds like the ideal time.
I'm just the opposite - I find other photographers to be fascinating. Apparently my family is on to me; when our older daughter got married last month, she asked me how many photographs I took of the "pro" during the reception.