Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A mini SF bay area vacation
Lens: 28, 50 Camera: 6D, 70D Photo Location: Calif 
Posted By: SpecialK, 02-22-2019, 10:28 AM

I am unemployed again, so I took the opportunity to see a couple sisters in San Francisco and further north in Santa Rosa. I had not seen them since my last unemployment tour in October 2016.

The drive is about 7 hours (plus stopping at celebrity graves) and I hate arriving in rush hour/dark, so I broke up the drive and stayed overnight in Gilroy, the garlic capital of the world.

In San Jose is the Oak Memorial Cemetery which has a few markers of interest, and this 9/11 memorial.

Todd Beamer was a passenger on Flight 93 which was taken over by terrorists. He made an emergency call after learning other planes had been hijacked, and his last words heard by the air-phone operator was “Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll.” He and other passengers engaged the terrorists which caused the plane to crash away from a populated area, in a field in Pennsylvania.

This shows the memorial layout better.

Went to the Lawrence Hall of Science above UC Berkeley with a sister.

DNA on a big scale...

Looks like a blue whale.

The lower level had some classrooms (mostly empty), an unseen cafe, and this wall.

Sight lines in the Sunstones II structure let visitors view the process of the Sun’s northernmost and southernmost setting at the solstices.

Scenics work better in good weather...The UC Berkeley campanile (center/foreground) is a famous landmark tower. The Bay Bridge is near center and the gray Golden Gate Bridge and former Alcatraz prison are far right.

Most of the exhibits were kid-oriented.

Here's Ernest Lawrence, a Nobel prize-winning physics professor at UC Berkeley. He invented the cyclotron to accelerate sub-atomic particles. This building and the Lawrence Livermore lab are named after him.

As everything was geared toward kids, we got a refund and left...

Next day, after visiting a nephew and his family, my sister and I again went out, to the Legion of Honor in SF to see mummies and jewels of India - no photos allowed of either special exhibit.

On that same ticket, we could get into the De Young museum for free, so that is where we headed. This area in front is the "music concourse".

We were a couple days too early for artist Claude Monet.

We did visit the special exhibit (not free, no photos) of artist Paul Gauguin. This sculpture, called "The Orator" is by Pablo Picasso, and was at the Legion of Honor on my last visit.

This mantelpiece is from about 1873, carved in Paris for the Menlo Park mansion of former California governor and senator Milton Latham.

In the art of Oceania section were a lot of masks and figures, plus this cocoa pod-shaped coffin.

My sister evaluating a hollow slit-drum.

Might be nicer on a warmer day, with people.

Past the fountain in the music concourse is the California Academy of Sciences, which we did not visit. Behind the building is the 977 ft three-pronged TV and radio antenna known as Sutro Tower (there is also an abandoned Nike missile facility very near the tower).

Tree/people.

Besides Beethoven, there is a Shakespeare garden nearby.

On my drive back, part of it was along the coast highway and into Pescadero, a small fishing town founded in the 1850-60's. Besides a small cemetery I was visiting was this building, part of Level Lea Farm. In a deal with the county, it has been saved from demolition for redevelopment and will remain a farm.

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-22-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Views: 454