Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Eastern Screech Owl (Rufous Morph) in HDR
Lens: SMC Pentax-FA* 250-600mm f5.6 ED [IF] Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec, CANADA ISO: 500 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: Weevil, 02-25-2019, 10:12 PM

I took 3 shots (± 1 stop*) of the Eastern Screech Owl (Rufous Morph) from his watchtower last Friday...
Did an HDR treatment**

Speed was actually 1/1600

* I was in Tav, so 3 images ± 1 stop where ISO was 250, 500 and 1000 (I know I should have used Av mode and had the shutter speed vary, well... it was set like that and did not changed the mode... that happens lol!)
** Google Nik Collection, HDR Efex Pro 2 (outdoor2 Preset)

Petit-duc maculé (Forme rousse) / Eastern Screech Owl (Rufous Morph) [Megascops asio]

I like the ultra sharpness and high colors that this process gives to the image...
Views: 991
02-26-2019, 12:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Very nice and btw, I like your other picture of this owl on your flickr site.

Over the years I've managed to get a few pictures of owls in the wild, out here on the prairies and in the Boreal forests. Great Grey , Great Horned, Northern Hawk , Barred and Snowy Owls, but I've never an Eastern Screech Owl. In fact first time I've seen one is your pictures.

I'm in Manitoba and I understand they exist here, but are uncommon, Some say they may have extended their range westerly, due to the increase in house sparrows over the years. I don't know.

Very interesting pictures of this owl, now I'm motivated to keep my eye open for one of these birds.
02-27-2019, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
I took 3 shots (± 1 stop*) of the Eastern Screech Owl (Rufous Morph) from his watchtower last Friday...
Did an HDR treatment**

Speed was actually 1/1600

* I was in Tav, so 3 images ± 1 stop where ISO was 250, 500 and 1000 (I know I should have used Av mode and had the shutter speed vary, well... it was set like that and did not changed the mode... that happens lol!)
** Google Nik Collection, HDR Efex Pro 2 (outdoor2 Preset)

Petit-duc maculé (Forme rousse) / Eastern Screech Owl (Rufous Morph) [Megascops asio]

I like the ultra sharpness and high colors that this process gives to the image...
The owl's home, the overall scene, is fascinating.
02-27-2019, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Very nice and btw, I like your other picture of this owl on your flickr site.

Over the years I've managed to get a few pictures of owls in the wild, out here on the prairies and in the Boreal forests. Great Grey , Great Horned, Northern Hawk , Barred and Snowy Owls, but I've never an Eastern Screech Owl. In fact first time I've seen one is your pictures.

I'm in Manitoba and I understand they exist here, but are uncommon, Some say they may have extended their range westerly, due to the increase in house sparrows over the years. I don't know.

Very interesting pictures of this owl, now I'm motivated to keep my eye open for one of these birds.
In the western part of Canada/USA, there is also the Western screech owl, but I do not think they would be in Manitoba... Seem more a southern species AFAIK, but the Eastern one, is fairly common around here in southern Quebec... If you come here one day, just let me know... I'll show you some places (look for tree holes) where they can be found (but should be during Fall, Winter or Spring as they kind of vanish when the hot summer days arrive...)

In Montreal, the Angrignon Park has a couple of families around...

02-27-2019, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done sir. It would be even more fun to bring the owl in a lot closer. You probably just did not want to disturb His Highness during nap time. )

TT
02-28-2019, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Thank you for the invite. I would love to see habitat of Eastern Screech Owls. I think you're right about the Western Screech Owl. I couldn't find record of this bird in Mb. The Great Grey Owl is the provincial bird of Manitoba and they just seem to appear in any numbers, every so often. It's really quite a magnificent bird and quite something to see, on the few occasions I've come across these large owls.
03-01-2019, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Well done sir. It would be even more fun to bring the owl in a lot closer. You probably just did not want to disturb His Highness during nap time. )

TT
Like That ?