Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Snow crystals
Posted By: fwwidall, 02-27-2019, 06:36 AM

Out hunting snow crystals before breakfast today - I'm glad I did, as I got some really nice hexagonal plates.

This one appears to be a column with five attached plates.

Last edited by fwwidall; 02-27-2019 at 06:49 AM.
Views: 1,396
02-27-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great shots. Plates are my favorite, but don't see them too often in my neck of the woods. Have never seen a column.
02-27-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

So cool. Sadly can't get any snow where I live. Only the occasional hailstorm.

02-27-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Its been snowing all day here and I've had to shovel the driveway four times to keep up with the snow, but I've been capturing some great crystals today.

Some of them had wonderful symmetry like this guy.

[

Last edited by fwwidall; 02-27-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: broken link
02-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

WOW. :Cool:

02-27-2019, 06:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
AMAZING!!!!!

Excellent work, Love these things, I only saw recently in a TV show, the reasons behind the formation, due to the molecular structure of the water H2O , the Hydrogen part is drawn towards the Oxygen on another water molecules, on and on, that's where the patterns come from, the differences in each snowflake are due to the slightly different amounts of humidity in the air surrounding each flake, the more humid, the denser more compact snowflake with bigger plates, lesser humidity, the longer branches are made.

Quite fascinating.

Thanks for sharing
02-27-2019, 07:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
Its been snowing all day here and I've had to shovel the driveway four times to keep up with the snow, but I've been capturing some great crystals today.

Some of them had wonderful symmetry like this guy.

[
Lovely work. Hard to believe such delicate structures in sufficient quantity, can avalanche an entire village off a mountain.

02-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
AMAZING!!!!!

Excellent work, Love these things, I only saw recently in a TV show, the reasons behind the formation, due to the molecular structure of the water H2O , the Hydrogen part is drawn towards the Oxygen on another water molecules, on and on, that's where the patterns come from, the differences in each snowflake are due to the slightly different amounts of humidity in the air surrounding each flake, the more humid, the denser more compact snowflake with bigger plates, lesser humidity, the longer branches are made.

Quite fascinating.

Thanks for sharing
If you'd like to learn more about how snowflakes form check out Ken Libbrecht's lecture called "The Secret Life of a Snowflake: An Up-Close Look at the Science and the Splendor of Nature's Frozen Art" presented at the Perimeter Institute in Waterloo, Ontario on Feb 1st, 2012.

Had a large variety of crystals today. This morning I was getting 'plates' which are about the size of a pinhead, and now we're getting large crystals measuring about 8mm across. Even with my bellows minimized they're too big to fit in the frame. I like the little guys the best.
03-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If you'd like to see more of my images of these amazing objects please check out the slideshow I uploaded to YouTube yesterday.

Hope you like it.

Fred.
03-07-2019, 08:31 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, looks like I'm done for another season. No snow, and warmer temperatures forecast for the next 14 days so its time to pack up the gear just when I have everything working the way I want. I got some great images and I can be sure the snow will be back again in another 8 months or so to delight and annoy me

I'll leave you with a poster I put together showing my images (mostly from this year).

Fred.
10-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
Pentaxian

That's unusual, and great, thank you !
10-12-2019, 12:28 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I always admire the amount of techie stuff that goes on behind capturing images like this, most of which I’ve no real comprehension of, well done.
10-12-2019, 03:50 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome
10-12-2019, 06:16 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Fascinating! I'll have to wait a long time to have the chance to look at snow again now that it's spring...
Very cool images.
10-12-2019, 06:17 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Simple captures but absolutely beautiful.