Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
9 Likes  #1
CP train heading west
Lens: Pentax 50-135mm f2.8 ED Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: Canmore, Alberta ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: Grey Man, 03-03-2019, 09:17 AM

This big lad is coming west, through Canmore and will eventually be in Golden, BC.

I was editing in the hopes to bring out the blue in the exhaust but as I tinkered the mountains and surrounding scenery close to the train just popped out. Time to leave well enough alone. I cropped the right side of the pic to bring the exhaust and train more to the centre.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 811
03-03-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Such a nice shot. Golden hour mountains, with golden headlights, well balanced with blue smoke and snowy foreground. You should print it!

03-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful capture with excellent lighting and composition!
03-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot, excellent with the lighting.

03-03-2019, 12:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just one engine for a considerable jaunt.
03-03-2019, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
Just one engine for a considerable jaunt.
Thanks for all the comments; greatly appreciated!

Actually, he had a second engine about mid way. That's how the lads roll in this part of the country. When they get to Field BC another engine gets inserted as well.
03-04-2019, 05:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Grey Man Quote
Thanks for all the comments; greatly appreciated!

Actually, he had a second engine about mid way. That's how the lads roll in this part of the country. When they get to Field BC another engine gets inserted as well.
I really like this too. Thanks for posting.

03-05-2019, 08:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This big lad is coming west, through Canmore and will eventually be in Golden, BC.

I was editing in the hopes to bring out the blue in the exhaust but as I tinkered the mountains and surrounding scenery close to the train just popped out. Time to leave well enough alone. I cropped the right side of the pic to bring the exhaust and train more to the centre.
Nice scene as you got it.

These locomotives produce 4400hp; putting a second locomotive farther back in the train is common practice in the west - where they have to deal with mountains - because it reduces strain on couplers at the front of the train {and modern technology allows one engineer in the lead locomotive to competently control these locomotives spread throughout the train}
03-05-2019, 08:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Nice scene as you got it.

These locomotives produce 4400hp; putting a second locomotive farther back in the train is common practice in the west - where they have to deal with mountains - because it reduces strain on couplers at the front of the train {and modern technology allows one engineer in the lead locomotive to competently control these locomotives spread throughout the train}
reh1, thanks for the explanation. I don't see this way of hooking locomotives up in the Midwest, and Canadian Pacific line goes through our town.
03-05-2019, 11:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Reh321, Thanks for the explanation! That is good intel! You and I will be best friends before you know it! I've been shooting trains since August 2017 and I'm thinking of writing a book involving the corrolation of trains and therapy when it comes to a mental recovery. I hope you won't mind my bothering you in the future with questions regarding the workings of trains and such?

What's funny is that there are a few drivers here who know who I am..."foamer at mile 33...never mind, it's that guy in the grey jacket again with the camera...he's harmless." ha ha ha And for the record, I'm somewhere on the Edson sub, between miles 24 and 35 west of Edmonton.
03-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reh321, Thanks for the explanation! That is good intel! You and I will be best friends before you know it! I've been shooting trains since August 2017 and I'm thinking of writing a book involving the corrolation of trains and therapy when it comes to a mental recovery. I hope you won't mind my bothering you in the future with questions regarding the workings of trains and such?
I could tell you the whole long story, but I began taking photographs of trains in the summer of 1967 - the summer between my sophomore and junior years of college - using an Instamatic 100. I've seen a lot of trains since then, but at age 71 I'm definitely on the downhill side now, and I'm certainly willing to share what I know {or think I know}.

Fifty-plus Years Ago - PentaxForums.com
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/373476-machinery-for...rs-amtrak.html
03-25-2019, 09:16 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Nice Capture