Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
9 Likes  #1
Clouds over Black Canyon
Lens: Samyang 24mm f/1.4 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Black Canyon of the Gunnison ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: fromunderthebridge, 03-09-2019, 04:55 PM

B&W rendition of a shot taken at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison some years back. I did wait some time for the clouds to roll in to paint the canyon walls with striped shadows and provide more feeling of depth for the scene.

I only had one afternoon to visit the park and this, with the experience itself, was what I came away with. I'd like to revisit sometime, but I'm uncertain if I ever will. Living in Europe, visiting the national parks in the U.S. is a rare treat indeed.

It took me years to figure out how to develop this according to my tastes (and finding about silverefex to boot).
Views: 985
03-09-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a very dramatic photo in B&W! There is a tremendous amount of depth to it from the rock edge in the foreground, the canyon bottom and walls, and then the mountains and sky in the background. Very well done!
03-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fromunderthebridge Quote

B&W rendition of a shot taken at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison some years back. I did wait some time for the clouds to roll in to paint the canyon walls with striped shadows and provide more feeling of depth for the scene.

I only had one afternoon to visit the park and this, with the experience itself, was what I came away with. I'd like to revisit sometime, but I'm uncertain if I ever will. Living in Europe, visiting the national parks in the U.S. is a rare treat indeed.

It took me years to figure out how to develop this according to my tastes (and finding about silverefex to boot).
Fabulous view of a favorite place for me and mrs monochrome. Her great-great-grandfather pioneered the Black Canyon of the Gunnison in the mid 19th C., opened a silver mine a bit inland and founded Lake City, Colorado. We visit often.
03-10-2019, 02:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well worth waiting for the clouds, very well done.

03-10-2019, 02:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautifully seen and shot. Love the tones in this image.
03-10-2019, 03:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Fabulous view of a favorite place for me and mrs monochrome. Her great-great-grandfather pioneered the Black Canyon of the Gunnison in the mid 19th C., opened a silver mine a bit inland and founded Lake City, Colorado. We visit often.
Thanks! And a very cool bit of family history. I found the stories of the first canyon explorations a bit harrowing (like whoever thought -that- was a good idea ). It a really great place to visit and gives one a real sensation of awe and wonder.

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
This is a very dramatic photo in B&W! There is a tremendous amount of depth to it from the rock edge in the foreground, the canyon bottom and walls, and then the mountains and sky in the background. Very well done!
Thanks! I found it very hard to figure out how to photograph the canyon as initially all attempts seemed to come up short at conveying the awe and sheer enormity of the canyon. It's apparently hard to photograph things from top down . It also took some tinkering to figure out how to bring out the light-coloured dikes in the wall (the answer seems to be a blue-magenta-ish filter in silverefex).
03-10-2019, 06:52 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Move over, Ansel. You 'da man with B&W.

Jer

03-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

great job the classical way!
looking at b&w shots here done with k-5 i certainly know that it will be my next camera soon
03-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Well worth waiting for the clouds, very well done.
Thanks! For once I did actually wait for a scene to come together, and it did. I probably have to thank my brother again some time for patiently twiddling his thumbs as I was just sitting there, waiting for the clouds to line up.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Beautifully seen and shot. Love the tones in this image.
Thanks. The variety of textures and light is even richer than I originally anticipated.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Move over, Ansel. You 'da man with B&W.

Jer
Hah . Though I'd be a lying rat, if I didn't admit that I'm a big fan. Besides, this image even imitates selenium toning! (The cool shade brings out some quality that I find pleasing, albeit can't really explain)

QuoteOriginally posted by ignath Quote
great job the classical way!
looking at b&w shots here done with k-5 i certainly know that it will be my next camera soon
K-5 is certainly a loveable piece of kit and prints very nicely up to A3+ size at least. Although I nowadays have a K-1 that doesn't take anything away from the fiver. Beyond that I have to also like the sammy 24, it's really nice for all sorts of landscape work (when you're not in a hurry for focusing).

This will probably end up in my wall at some point.. I'll have to see how big it prints.
03-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

K-5 is certainly a loveable piece of kit and prints very nicely up to A3+ size at least. Although I nowadays have a K-1 that doesn't take anything away from the fiver. Beyond that I have to also like the sammy 24, it's really nice for all sorts of landscape work (when you're not in a hurry for focusing).

This will probably end up in my wall at some point.. I'll have to see how big it prints.
recently i did A3 prints from k-50 and they are ok, seems that even bigger they would still look good. therefore k-5 shots might be still great printed A2.
03-11-2019, 11:59 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ignath Quote
recently i did A3 prints from k-50 and they are ok, seems that even bigger they would still look good. therefore k-5 shots might be still great printed A2.
I'm considering trying how big I can go with this image as it seems quite sharp down to the pixel level. Of course it all depends on your planned viewing distance and tolerance of grain (for some reason though, I've gotten so used to that out-of-focus grain on digital cameras that I shudder at the thought of smoothing it out, which I find would make the whole image feel fake).
03-12-2019, 01:34 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice build up from foreground to the distant mountains and the differences in toning and the light.
03-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

B&W does a good job of emphasizing the contours, textures and tones in this scene.
06-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just came across this searching for something else. I live near there and I think it's a great shot!
06-04-2019, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I just came across this searching for something else. I live near there and I think it's a great shot!
Thanks matt! Cool praise especially since you know the place!

I've stalked your posts in the past so I've had plenty of chances to curse how awesome your "local haunts" are for photo ops.