Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Angel Eyes
Posted By: Kerrowdown, 03-16-2019, 07:52 AM

A gorgeous lady taken by a “Gorgeous Lady” (Pentax-A* 200mm F2.8 ED).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 1,764
03-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very ethereal photo! Is this a candid?
03-16-2019, 08:44 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Very ethereal photo! Is this a candid?
Aye certainly is, a street shot taken on an unusually long lens for me for that sort of work.

I was actually shooting something else for a client and I turned around and saw her... just thought "Angel Eyes".

Since I titled her that... I now keep thinking of a Lee Van Cleef as Angel Eyes.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-16-2019 at 02:46 PM.
03-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I now keep thinking of a Lee Van Cleef as Angel Eyes.
I haven't watched The Good, the Bad and the Ugly in a long time, but it was a real classic, wasn't it? Thanks for the memories!

03-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
I
but it was a real classic, wasn't it?
Aye I'm a sucker for these old Spaghetti Westerns from Sergio Leone.
03-16-2019, 09:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Aye certainly is, a street shot taken on an unusually long lens for me fore that sort of work.

I was actually shooting something else for a client and I turned around and saw her... just thought "Angel Eyes".

Since I titled her that... I now keep thinking of a Lee Van Cleef as Angel Eyes.
Gee...I don't know how you would think of famous actor, Lee Van Cleef when you look at that wonderfully well lit picture of that 'Gorgeous Lady' and her ...'angel eyes'.

But, your reference to Lee Van Cleef, triggered a recollection of mine...a quote from Mr. Van Cleef, regarding his self assessment (IMDB):

"Being born with a pair of beady eyes was the best thing that ever happened to me."
03-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Gee...I don't know how you would think of famous actor, Lee Van Cleef when you look at that wonderfully well lit picture of that "Gorgeous Lady"
It was just in the title "Angel Eyes", it got the old Kerrowdown brain ticking over as to where I'd heard that before.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-16-2019 at 02:46 PM.
03-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

where I'd heard that before
I reckon I'm roughly the same vintage as you two gentleman, but the title (and image) reminded me of a song recorded by blind Canadian steel guitarist Jeff Healy.
03-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I reckon I'm roughly the same vintage as you two gentleman, but the title (and image) reminded me of a song recorded by blind Canadian steel guitarist Jeff Healy.
Jeff Healey - Angel Eyes - YouTube
Haven't heard Jeff Healey for a long time. Thx for posting the video, nice to listen to him again.

Another great entertainer from our 'vintage' is 'Winterpegger' Burton Cummings, from the Guess Who and I understand he has moved to your province, Saskatchewan, from LA.

Moose Jaw, I believe...where I've spent some time in, a city I like quite a bit and I can see why he has moved there.
03-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Haven't heard Jeff Healey for a long time.
Unfortunately for all of us, Mr. Healey passed away from a form of lung cancer in 2008 at the age of 41. I did not know Burton Cummings is now living in Moose Jaw, I'll keep my eyes open and I run into him, I'll let you know.
03-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Unfortunately for all of us, Mr. Healey passed away from a form of lung cancer in 2008 at the age of 41. I did not know Burton Cummings is now living in Moose Jaw, I'll keep my eyes open and I run into him, I'll let you know.
Sad to hear. Didn't know Mr. Healey had passed away.

My mother used to work with Burton Cummings mother in Winnipeg. Nice lady and she gave my mother (early '70's) a Guess Who T shirt, medium size. Unfortunately I'm an XLT.
03-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
song recorded by blind Canadian steel guitarist Jeff Healy.
Unfortunately the video is blocked by some copyright issue here in the UK, I must admit these are all names I'm certainly not familiar with.
03-16-2019, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I must admit these are all names I'm certainly not familiar with.
I'm not very good at taking subtle hints, so I will fill in the blanks for you, whether you want me to or not.

Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman formed the Guess Who in 1965 and had a huge international hit in 1970 with American Woman (both the song and the album). Cummings and Bachman were born and raised in Winnipeg (very close to the longitudinal centre of Canada). Neil Young was born in Toronto but spent a good chunk of his childhood in Winnipeg as well. Mr. Lesmore49 is also from the 'Peg. Randy Bachman left the band in 1971? and formed Bachman Turner Overdrive with his brother and a couple of other people. On this side of the Atlantic, BTO was even bigger than the Guess Who in the mid seventies. The Guess Who were more of a folk/blues/pop band, BTO was a pulsating heavy metal band with the edges polished to fit Top 40 radio. My very first LP was Best of B.T.O. (So Far), released in 1976.

Jeff Healey's musical career was much shorter, his popularity in Canada and the U.S. peaked '89-90, with a high energy jazz/blues/rock and roll sound featuring his virtuouso guitar playing, along with horns, bass and drums provided by his house band, The Jeff Healey Blues Band. His music moved away from blues to more of a jazz sound later in his career, but if you check out his debut album See The Light (1988), you will find Angel Eyes.

I lived in Winnipeg for 5 1/2 years, once you get over how flat it is, it has a great deal of character. About 3/4 million people live there, where the Assinniboine and Red Rivers meet. Moose Jaw also has a lot of character, but only about 40,000 people live there and the Moose Jaw River is more like a mosquito infested trickle. Apparently Al Capone hid out in Moose Jaw from time to time to avoid U.S. Revenue agents during Prohibition. Moose Jaw is 200 kms south of where I now live. The only connection to Scotland in all of this is Thomas Douglas, the 5th Earl of Selkirk who established the Red River Colony just north of Winnipeg in 1812, which was the first Canadian settlement west of the Great Lakes that wasn't related to the fur trade.

Last edited by RGlasel; 03-16-2019 at 04:48 PM.
03-16-2019, 06:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I'm not very good at taking subtle hints, so I will fill in the blanks for you, whether you want me to or not.

Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman formed the Guess Who in 1965 and had a huge international hit in 1970 with American Woman (both the song and the album). Cummings and Bachman were born and raised in Winnipeg (very close to the longitudinal centre of Canada). Neil Young was born in Toronto but spent a good chunk of his childhood in Winnipeg as well. Mr. Lesmore49 is also from the 'Peg. Randy Bachman left the band in 1971? and formed Bachman Turner Overdrive with his brother and a couple of other people. On this side of the Atlantic, BTO was even bigger than the Guess Who in the mid seventies. The Guess Who were more of a folk/blues/pop band, BTO was a pulsating heavy metal band with the edges polished to fit Top 40 radio. My very first LP was Best of B.T.O. (So Far), released in 1976.

Jeff Healey's musical career was much shorter, his popularity in Canada and the U.S. peaked '89-90, with a high energy jazz/blues/rock and roll sound featuring his virtuouso guitar playing, along with horns, bass and drums provided by his house band, The Jeff Healey Blues Band. His music moved away from blues to more of a jazz sound later in his career, but if you check out his debut album See The Light (1988), you will find Angel Eyes.

I lived in Winnipeg for 5 1/2 years, once you get over how flat it is, it has a great deal of character. About 3/4 million people live there, where the Assinniboine and Red Rivers meet. Moose Jaw also has a lot of character, but only about 40,000 people live there and the Moose Jaw River is more like a mosquito infested trickle. Apparently Al Capone hid out in Moose Jaw from time to time to avoid U.S. Revenue agents during Prohibition. Moose Jaw is 200 kms south of where I now live. The only connection to Scotland in all of this is Thomas Douglas, the 5th Earl of Selkirk who established the Red River Colony just north of Winnipeg in 1812, which was the first Canadian settlement west of the Great Lakes that wasn't related to the fur trade.
What a great summary of the history of this region of the prairies. As you say....Winnipeg has an awful lot of character. As a resident I can say it's never boring.

Les
03-17-2019, 06:31 AM - 2 Likes   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
so I will fill in the blanks for you
Thanks for the heads up, but then I guess "you ain't seen nothin' yet"...