Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Macro water drops
Posted By: Warped, 10-03-2008, 02:10 AM

Here's an idea I tied for a Macro theme my local Phot club had.

The pic is of 2 roses, one pink/white the other orange/red in a vase. Between the vase and the camera is a fly screen that I've sprayed water onto and then focused on the drops that formed.

You can sort of see the flowers in the drops, some of them in full resolution are quite interesting to really zoom in on and cruise around looking at the different images in each drop.

At a guess from memory, the front of the lens was about 10 or 12 cm from the screen and the roses about 20 cm behind that.

This first one was shot indoors with a spotlight on a bench off to the right and behind me and a spotlight on the floor shining up onto the roses.

This 2nd one was shot outside in natural light.

Pentax K100D and Sigma 28-80 Asperical that has a Macro setting at 80mm.
Views: 1,644
10-03-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What a great effect and best of all, a new interesting idea I haven't seen before. Well done
10-03-2008, 04:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dazman Quote
What a great effect and best of all, a new interesting idea I haven't seen before. Well done
Well I can't take all the credit for creativity.

I saw an unconventional style of portrait done using a very similar set up with distorted images of the womans face in each droplet. A link to that pic is:
I wanted to do an abstract ...: Photo by Photographer glen gaffney - photo.net

Reading the comments for that pic sees a lot of "He copied from Peter Keetman" and a famous pic called 1000 faces. I'd never heard of Keetman or the pic, so had to go looking for it, found it here:
Schupmann Collection: Peter Keetman

So that got me thinking of using that idea, but focusing on the Macro side of things, as well as adding colour and a bit of vibrancy to it (the other two pics are a bit too dull for my liking and what I wanted to do).

Was pretty happy with the results
10-03-2008, 04:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

No matter where the original idea came from (for which you have rightfully given credit) you have certainly earnt a WELL-DONE.

I seem to remember another of your recent threads which has impressed me - welcome to the forum and thanks for the ideas you're coming-up with.

10-03-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Those are really nice. I think I like the second one better. Colors seem a little more vibrant, but both are excellent none the less.
10-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
Damn Brit

Very impressive images.