Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Tesla chargers
Lens: DFA* 70-200 Camera: Pentax K1 Photo Location: West Yellowstone, MT 
Posted By: dwalt, 03-18-2019, 01:10 PM

Tesla charging stations in West Yellowstone.
I would wait a few months before trying to use the 5th one.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 1,353
03-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #2

Nice catch! Hope the Green New Deal people have an answer for that!
03-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim70 Quote
Hope the Green New Deal people have an answer for that!
Aye, they need to swing in by the "Shovels R Us" shop...
03-18-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Interesting picture.

Last edited by lesmore49; 03-18-2019 at 06:50 PM.
03-20-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dwalt Quote
Tesla charging stations in West Yellowstone.
I would wait a few months before trying to use the 5th one.
Definitely an interesting scene.

Around here, charging stations are not usually labeled as brand-specific
03-20-2019, 08:51 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Around here, charging stations are not usually labeled as brand-specific
Don't they have differing plugs on them to make them brand specific?
03-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
As ridiculous as that sounds, you are right. The Nissan and Kia electric cars share a common plug, but the Chevy Volt and Teslas don't. It turns out that JDapter, which is just a special extension cord with a Tesla plug on one end and something compatible to your non-Tesla vehicle on the other end, costs between $239 and $547 US! I know, no politics allowed, but why would anyone in their right mind ever buy a vehicle that you can't put petrol in?

03-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
As ridiculous as that sounds, you are right. The Nissan and Kia electric cars share a common plug, but the Chevy Volt and Teslas don't. It turns out that JDapter, which is just a special extension cord with a Tesla plug on one end and something compatible to your non-Tesla vehicle on the other end, costs between $239 and $547 US!
We don't have any electric cars in our family, so I'm surprised to hear that there is no common plug. My original comment was that the few charging stations I've seen around here are not labeled by brand.
03-21-2019, 06:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The real question is if you live in a city, given the economic, why would you use an internal combustion engine. If you do you charging from household current, the estimates I've seen are that your fuel costs will be 1/3 the cost. Currently the electric costs $15,000 more to buy. But it's only matter of time before process are similar. It's already an economic choice if you have the money, but clearly not worth taking out a loan for.
03-21-2019, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
the estimates I've seen are that your fuel costs will be 1/3 the cost.
Don't believe everything you read. Compared to a 4x4 3/4 ton truck with a 5.7L V-8 that never gets above 50 kph and never leaves Gridlock City, maybe, compared to a hybrid or newer gasoline only compact car, no. When fuel prices were higher than today and electric vehicles were heavily subsidized, they were sold in pitiful volumes and now spend most of their time parked, in spite of supposedly being cheaper to run. My feeble effort to stay on topic is to point out that the Tesla charging stations in the photo posted above haven't been used in a very long time and kudos to dwalt for using a single image to convey more truth than thousands of words.
03-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Don't believe everything you read. Compared to a 4x4 3/4 ton truck with a 5.7L V-8 that never gets above 50 kph and never leaves Gridlock City, maybe, compared to a hybrid or newer gasoline only compact car, no. When fuel prices were higher than today and electric vehicles were heavily subsidized, they were sold in pitiful volumes and now spend most of their time parked, in spite of supposedly being cheaper to run. My feeble effort to stay on topic is to point out that the Tesla charging stations in the photo posted above haven't been used in a very long time and kudos to dwalt for using a single image to convey more truth than thousands of words.
The guy I read posted actual numbers, if you have some, I'd be interested. Je actually worked out his full costs for a small Honda. Not a 4x4. But of course, he was here in Canada. Fuel and electricity costs vary. He actually compared two vehicles of roughly the same size.

I can show you pictures of all kinds of things closed in the park near here, in the winter. However they make their money in the summer. I know you think you've proved something. I'm not sure you're right based on what you've offered. According to this line of thinking, bicycle rentals, canoe rentals, restaurants, resorts all are failing miserably if they aren't open year around. Yet they continue operation summer after summer. Living in a park area that sees over a million visitors every summer, I can say for sure, it doesn't' mean what you think it means.
03-23-2019, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tesla charging stations have a super fast charge ability but only when talking to a registered Tesla vehicle thus the different plug. Tesla people are like mac computer people, you bought it because its a Tesla, not just because its an electric car.
Clearly the first station has been used and there probably isn't enough demand during that particular time of year in that spot for more than one person at a time to have needed away from home charging.

I would love to own one if I were rich. That said I drive a 90's 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy suburban which has the excellent feature, among many others, of its crumple zones being located in your vehicles instead of mine.

But back on topic I do like the way the photo is sort of a repeating pattern with about 50% less visible of the stations each time it repeats. Just a neat effect.
03-24-2019, 04:34 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Tesla charging stations have a super fast charge ability but only when talking to a registered Tesla vehicle thus the different plug. Tesla people are like mac computer people, you bought it because its a Tesla, not just because its an electric car.
You just lost all credibility in this corner.
03-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Clearly the first station has been used and there probably isn't enough demand during that particular time of year in that spot for more than one person at a time to have needed away from home charging.

I would love to own one if I were rich. That said I drive a 90's 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy suburban which has the excellent feature, among many others, of its crumple zones being located in your vehicles instead of mine.

But back on topic I do like the way the photo is sort of a repeating pattern with about 50% less visible of the stations each time it repeats. Just a neat effect.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You just lost all credibility in this corner.
The truth in his words is that Tesla is something of a fad, as Leica is. People who are interested in economy will purchase a Chevrolet Volt, or Nissan Leaf, or similar car.
03-24-2019, 11:11 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The truth in his words is that Tesla is something of a fad, as Leica is. People who are interested in economy will purchase a Chevrolet Volt, or Nissan Leaf, or similar car.
What I'm saying is neither argument holds any credibility. And I'm done with Mac vs PC arguments, except to add in my experience, Macs are cheaper to run. I'm on year 10 with a quad core $2200 machine, it still runs all the current software. and is probably faster than 95% of the windows machine made today. The only upgrade is a $300 SSD drive. Now if you wanted to say buying a Tesla is like buying a Mercedes or a Beamer, or a Maserati or somethingI might have gone along with it.

As for Tesla being like a Mac computer... that's really stretching it, to the point of having to question the reasoning skills involved.
The Model S P85D, a dual-motor all-wheel-drive vehicle has a governed top speed of 155 mph (249 km/h) and it accelerates from 0 to 60 miles per hour (0 to 97 km/h) in 3.2 seconds (tested to 3.1 seconds), under "Insane Mode", with 1g of acceleration.