Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Claire in the Comfy Chair
Posted By: clackers, 03-24-2019, 10:20 PM

K-1, DA*55 in FF mode:

Last edited by clackers; 03-25-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Views: 411
03-25-2019, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
She looks more comfortable in the second shot but both are good.
03-25-2019, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your comfy chair is looking pretty threadbare, but the pictures are very impressive. I really like how the background in the first image has just enough detail to convey that this isn't another shot in front of a backdrop (with a very effective use of ambient light), but still functions like a studio backdrop. You also did a great job with her legs and feet (for a surprising number of beautiful women, their less attractive feet can detract a lot). The second image you managed to get great perspective and some of that "mythical" telephoto compression with a "normal" focal length, by having her lean forward and taking advantage of narrow depth of field. I hope you don't mind if I steal your techniques.
03-25-2019, 09:31 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Your comfy chair is looking pretty threadbare,
Don't all comfy chairs look threadbare? New chairs haven't been properly broken in.

When we first got together, Tess wanted to throw out my comfy chair. Then she sat in it a few times. Then she got used to sitting in it. We still own it 10 years later, and it's still comfy.

03-25-2019, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
K-1, DA*55 in FF mode:
Wha? A DA lens in FF mode? It's like you're delibrately trying to blow peoples minds!

That's a very genuine expression in the first, I love it
03-25-2019, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We still own it 10 years later, and it's still comfy.
You could probably find 10,000 Pentaxforum members who also cherish comfy chairs, including me. If you start a thread, "Post your comfy chairs and couches," I'll contribute. Unfortunately, I don't have armrest slipcovers that can hold a candle to Claire.
03-25-2019, 09:29 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Your comfy chair is looking pretty threadbare, but the pictures are very impressive. I really like how the background in the first image has just enough detail to convey that this isn't another shot in front of a backdrop (with a very effective use of ambient light), but still functions like a studio backdrop. You also did a great job with her legs and feet (for a surprising number of beautiful women, their less attractive feet can detract a lot). The second image you managed to get great perspective and some of that "mythical" telephoto compression with a "normal" focal length, by having her lean forward and taking advantage of narrow depth of field. I hope you don't mind if I steal your techniques.
Sure, it's what it's all about, RGlasel. I'm learning photography on a daily basis from the pictures you guys put up.

It's the natural 'Garage Lighting' technique that anyone can use.

The idea is that the subject placed *just* out of direct sunlight (where I'm standing) with an overhang creating the shadow, and all the light comes from the concrete or whatever at the front and ground. It yields an effect filling in shadows from below that's similar to so-called 'beauty lighting', it's very even - and there are guaranteed catchlights in the eyes. By the inverse square law there are so many stops difference between the subject and the background that what's behind them can blacken. PP away anything awkward that remains, just painting with a -3 stops brush or similar is fine, no need for cloning. You can do such scenes in the doorway of your home or a footpath outside a building with an eave, an outdoor table at a café or whatever.

Because in the first pic she's in transition, trying to get comfortable, her right toes are not yet pointed as in classical posing, but that gives it a refreshing candid feel.

Leaning forward from the waist, and it can be done standing, too, is especially good for older subjects afraid they've gained weight around the hips (not a problem with Claire here, obviously). It puts the face closest to the camera, and their rear further away, giving a slimming illusion. You can even stand on a stool and shoot down to put the butt even further back.

I should probably have shot the first pic at f5.6 because of its type instead of at f2, and could have made the second even dreamier at f1.4, as it was intended as an intimate yet somewhat formal portrait. BTW, I shot quickly to get good, authentic expressions and often trusted the Pentax Face Detection autofocus routines with Live View so I could keep the camera away from my obscuring my face and maintain the rapport with Claire, since she's not an extravert.

Last edited by clackers; 03-25-2019 at 10:00 PM.
03-25-2019, 09:38 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Wha? A DA lens in FF mode? It's like you're delibrately trying to blow peoples minds!

That's a very genuine expression in the first, I love it

Yeah, I'm not sure as photographers we take enough frames *between* the poses.

She's wriggling, trying to perch herself on that ratty old chair that could simply fall apart at any time, and she's laughing from the challenge.

While I like the 'proper' pic of Claire as representing the well-spoken, thoughtful person in her thirties that she is, there's also a fun side and I'm glad the first pic got that, including the tattoo that her work colleagues wouldn't normally see.

Last edited by clackers; 03-25-2019 at 09:57 PM.