Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Washington Old Hall
Lens: Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 DC HSM @ 17mm Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Washington Village, Tyne & Wear, England ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/160s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: BigMackCam, 03-25-2019, 03:42 PM

I don't share many photos online, but thought this one may be of interest, especially to some of our American members...

This is Washington Old Hall - the ancestral home of President George Washington - in Washington Village, Tyne & Wear... about 7 miles from my home. Although Washington himself never saw it, President Jimmy Carter visited in 1977 (the first US President to do so). It's a wonderful old building, now beautifully and sympathetically restored, with nice gardens too. I took my parents for a visit there this afternoon, followed by a rather lovely tea of home-made fruit scones with clotted cream and strawberry preserves

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-25-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Views: 513
03-25-2019, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you BMC for a truly magnificent photograph of a truly magnificent structure. I am always amazed at the amount of effort that goes into the construction of a building such as this one. Each stone has to be cut, shaped and polished to fit into a specific area. It comes together so beautifully. Do you happen to know when the building was completed?

Thanks again for a wonderful picture.

TT
03-25-2019, 06:08 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Thank you BMC for a truly magnificent photograph of a truly magnificent structure.
Thanks, Tony - you're very kind. It's a beautiful building, isn't it?

I am always amazed at the amount of effort that goes into the construction of a building such as this one. Each stone has to be cut, shaped and polished to fit into a specific area. It comes together so beautifully.
I agree. I love historical architecture on any scale, from simple dwellings to manors and castles. The achievements, given the obstacles and limitations of the times, are never lost on me.

Do you happen to know when the building was completed?
I'm afraid I don't - at least, not precisely. Parts of the property actually date back to medieval times (!), but modifications were made right up until 1792... so I guess that's the "official" completion date, though many of the influences are from much earlier. In the early 20th century it was divided into tenements, prior to the advent of social housing here in the UK. Believe it or not, it was very nearly demolished in the mid-to-late 1930s because it had become uninhabitable Thankfully, it was spared, and a very gradual restoration process began.

It makes my heart ache to think this building might have been lost, both for its historical significance and beauty...

Thanks again for a wonderful picture.
Thank you, Tony - both for your kind comments on the photo, and your appreciation of the building and its historical importance