Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
The last resting place
Lens: FA 77 ltd Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Toronto 
Posted By: IgorZ, 03-25-2019, 08:14 PM

When I visit my parents I walk by this old Citroyen. The last resting place of a great car...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 689
03-25-2019, 10:41 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

A beautiful car and I'm sure as you say, it's last resting place. I like your picture quite a bit and in my opinion you made the right decision to use B + W.

The car in your pix, seems to be almost artfully forlorn ...just sitting there with a broken grille, smashed windshield, weathered patina and deflated Citroen DS hydropneumatic suspension.

Someone wise, said eons ago, that art is in the eye of the beholder and of course, it is. The art that I like most, is old machinery, stuff that has served it's master well, uncomplaining for many years and as a result shows it's age ...well worn, a blemish here and there, parts that haven't done well with the passage of time and now put out to pasture.

The machinery I like most are vintage vehicles...like this Citroen. It has personality, just by dint of the fact that it has still survived. It has a great appeal to me.

If I had the right property I wouldn't mind having an old Citroen DS like this one, with perhaps a couple of septuagenarian Austins...a Somerset or a Devon perhaps...to keep the DS company. Damaged cars that don't have enough structural integrity to be sought after for either parts or have the potential to be restored.

All on display on a nice acreage. As a final touch I would have the ever smiling grille of a big early '50's Buick, positioned to 'greet' visitors as they strolled around my outside gallery.

Last edited by lesmore49; 03-25-2019 at 11:25 PM.
03-26-2019, 12:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Spiderman's residence.....? (windshield )
03-26-2019, 09:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a splendid photograph - the "feel" is perfect.

Jer

---------- Post added 03-27-2019 at 01:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
If I had the right property I wouldn't mind having an old Citroen DS like this one, with perhaps a couple of septuagenarian Austins...a Somerset or a Devon perhaps...to keep the DS company. Damaged cars that don't have enough structural integrity to be sought after for either parts or have the potential to be restored.

All on display on a nice acreage. As a final touch I would have the ever smiling grille of a big early '50's Buick, positioned to 'greet' visitors as they strolled around my outside gallery.
Les - you forgot the Morris Minor!!!

Jer

03-27-2019, 02:06 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Final Resting Place? Now to me that would be the ultimate challenge. I would not be able to resist getting in there and turn "OLd Frenchie" around to where she is looking better than new.

Thanks so much for sharing an such an excellent photograph.

TT
03-27-2019, 06:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote

Jer

Jer
Jer,

I did, didn't I. But it was late at night when I wrote that post and upon reflection, I must of been quite sleep deprived to forget the Morris Minor.

I would have a derelict Morris Minor join the Austins and I think it would have to be an old 'woody' station wagon or being an English car...I wonder if I could refer to it as a 'Shooting Brake' ?

Your post triggered a memory for me. In May, 1974 I went to the UK for the first time, on holiday. I was in the highlands of Scotland, at Loch Ness and recall seeing at some distance, a red Morris Minor postal van trundling along the road. It caught my eye and I recall watching it till it disappeared into a very green forested area.

As you know, the Minor was a major..... seller in the UK, but till then I hadn't realized that they had been used as postal vans .

The other cars, I recall still vividly from that trip included a green Porsche 911 coupe accelerating briskly on a winding, hedgerow bordered country road. Also the sound and look of an Aston Martin again a coupe . I could hear the V8 engine note and as it accelerated it seemed to have quite long legged gearing..or so it seemed to me, perhaps because the rental car that I was driving was a Morris Marina.. ..which had the 'big' engine a 1.3 liter (1275cc) four cylinder .

BTW, for the past few months Hemmings Classic Car now incorporates Sports Car Sports and Exotic type articles, in each edition.

Les
03-27-2019, 07:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
A beautiful car and I'm sure as you say, it's last resting place. I like your picture quite a bit and in my opinion you made the right decision to use B + W.

The car in your pix, seems to be almost artfully forlorn ...just sitting there with a broken grille, smashed windshield, weathered patina and deflated Citroen DS hydropneumatic suspension.

Someone wise, said eons ago, that art is in the eye of the beholder and of course, it is. The art that I like most, is old machinery, stuff that has served it's master well, uncomplaining for many years and as a result shows it's age ...well worn, a blemish here and there, parts that haven't done well with the passage of time and now put out to pasture.

The machinery I like most are vintage vehicles...like this Citroen. It has personality, just by dint of the fact that it has still survived. It has a great appeal to me.

There is something special about old machinery. For me, at least in part, is that old machinery is a lot more personable, than what we have now. A lot more of it was made by hand and carries that interaction with its human makers. There is something to be said for perfection and precision of stuff made by robots, but there is more of humans in these old cars made by hand, more imperfections for sure, but we are also imperfect. I used to have a Zorki 3 camera. When I took it apart it was interesting to see how "imperfect" it was. It was so easy to imagine someone actually cutting these parts on whatever piece of machinery they had. It looked like something I could make, easy to relate to. Thank you for your comment!

---------- Post added 03-27-19 at 07:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
Spiderman's residence.....? (windshield )

This is an interesting part of Toronto. Pretty expensive property (well, a million and up), but here and there there are these old houses where "hoarders" live, as my mom calls them. These big beautiful houses are in a state of artful dilapidation. Citroen parked here, a Volvo there... Neither has moved in the last 20 years that I have been walking past them. Neither will move again on its own...

---------- Post added 03-27-19 at 07:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote

Jer

Jer
Thank you very much, sir!

---------- Post added 03-27-19 at 07:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
A Final Resting Place? Now to me that would be the ultimate challenge. I would not be able to resist getting in there and turn "OLd Frenchie" around to where she is looking better than new.

Thanks so much for sharing an such an excellent photograph.

TT
Thank you!

It would be great to restore it. I wonder if it's possible after a couple of decades of Toronto winter...
03-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #8

Very nice has bit of a eerie feel to it.👍🏼

03-28-2019, 07:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
Very nice has bit of a eerie feel to it.👍🏼
Thank you very much!
10-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Poor DS, but interesting photo, with an the old 77 to match the (old but classy too) CitroŽn !