Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
What speed limit?
Lens: Pentax-DA 55-300mm PLM Camera: Pentax KP ISO: 280 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: reh321, 04-07-2019, 03:20 PM

This chickadee was really traveling!

Following the philosophy of @Lmcfarrin; this is a 100% crop of a much larger image.

added: a faster shutter speed would have 'stopped' it completely, but I wanted to capture a sense of how quick these birds are.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by reh321; 04-07-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Views: 605
04-07-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Your pix sure does give an idea of the speed these chickadees can fly at...

Fastest chickadee I've ever seen was when a predator bird, a Northern Shrike was in high speed pursuit of a chickadee. The chickadee was employing every flying skill it must of had...zigging...zagging ....climbing abruptly...diving rapidly..flying through a grove of trees. It was fascinating to watch.

BTW...in this encounter...the prey...avoided...the predator.
04-07-2019, 11:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

Fastest chickadee I've ever seen was when a predator bird, a Northern Shrike was in high speed pursuit of a chickadee. The chickadee was employing every flying skill it must of had...zigging...zagging ....climbing abruptly...diving rapidly..flying through a grove of trees. It was fascinating to watch.

I appreciate the shout out. 1/1600 will leave a little blur. 1/2000 freezes all birds.

Also, should you venture into faster shutter speeds you'll start to see the noise creeping in, and at times shutter shock. The faster continuous burst you shoot the more subtle "imperfections" will present themselves. My advice about the imperfections is to dont try too hard to correct them, manage them and present the imperfections as if they were intended.

Last edited by Lmcfarrin; 04-07-2019 at 11:21 PM.
04-07-2019, 11:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It certainly creates an abstract look.

04-07-2019, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lmcfarrin Quote
I appreciate the shout out. 1/1600 will leave a little blur. 1/2000 freezes all birds.

Also, should you venture into faster shutter speeds you'll start to see the noise creeping in, and at times shutter shock. The faster continuous burst you shoot the more subtle "imperfections" will present themselves. My advice about the imperfections is to dont try too hard to correct them, manage them and present the imperfections as if they were intended.
Example of 1/1600 motion blur.

---------- Post added 04-07-19 at 11:44 PM ----------

And if you venture into into the 1/2000 range, you'll probably begin to contemplate lens focal length vs lens speed. Shooting higher than f4 at 1/2000 will introduce a ripple of reconsiderations (depth of field, camera position in regards to natural light, can camera handle noise well at 6400, is the background pleasing or do you care). There are gifts and curses to this type of bif shooting. We can visit the gifts and curses as they present themselves in future discussions.

Last edited by Lmcfarrin; 06-19-2019 at 07:33 PM.
04-08-2019, 08:38 PM   #6
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Example of 1/1600 motion blur.

And if you venture into into the 1/2000 range, you'll probably begin to contemplate lens focal length vs lens speed. Shooting higher than f4 at 1/2000 will introduce a ripple of reconsiderations (depth of field, camera position in regards to natural light, can camera handle noise well at 6400, is the background pleasing or do you care). There are gifts and curses to this type of bif shooting. We can visit the gifts and curses as they present themselves in future discussions.
Thank you for your comments and advice.

I had originally planned to shot at 1/1000 - I'm not sure why I went to a slower speed, but I'll definitely have to go to higher speeds in the future. My KP gracefully handles ISO values well over 12K, so that at least is one thing I tend not to worry much about anymore.
04-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #7
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

Thank you for your comment.

The bird I photographed was fast - but it didn't have nearly the motivation the one you saw did!
04-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #8
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
It certainly creates an abstract look.
Thank you for your comment - but I have to admit that wasn't my original intention.

04-09-2019, 03:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Thank you for your comment - but I have to admit that wasn't my original intention.
As I said, present "mistakes" as intended. Let the viewer create their own perceptions, it will allow a wider appreciation of your work/efforts.
04-10-2019, 12:58 AM   #10

For what its worth I think you nailed it!!! You got a "GREAT" abstract. I would be proud to display that in my home

Well done
Photobill
04-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #11
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
As I said, present "mistakes" as intended. Let the viewer create their own perceptions, it will allow a wider appreciation of your work/efforts.
Thank you for your comments and examples.
04-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #12
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
For what its worth I think you nailed it!!! You got a "GREAT" abstract. I would be proud to display that in my home

Well done
Photobill
Thank you for your encouraging comments.
04-10-2019, 10:49 PM   #13

Thank you for your encouraging comments.
Your welcome!
Can I pick your brain a little?
How is the PLM's" AF speed. Is it at the top of lenses that you have tried? I've been thinking of getting one but I want it to be quick & accurate. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Photobill
04-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #14
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
Can I pick your brain a little?
How is the PLM's" AF speed. Is it at the top of lenses that you have tried? I've been thinking of getting one but I want it to be quick & accurate. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Photobill
There are actually two questions here.

(1) how does the 55-300 PLM focus?
When I was ready to go AF, in 1995, I switched from Pentax to Canon because I liked their EF/usm lenses so much. After a couple of unhappy experiences with Rebels, I came back to Pentax in 2015. This lens works the way I remember those Canon lenses working, quickly, silently, and {at least on my KP} accurately. With a few exceptions, such as focusing on something up in a distant tree, when my last photo was close, there is a sense in which I'm not aware of it's even doing anything - except the scene is in focus now and it wasn't before. In case you can't tell, I like this lens.

(2) how was this photo taken?
The original complete photo is below.
I focused on the bird as he ate a couple of seeds from the squirrel feeder, shutter button halfway down - then pressed the button the rest of the way when he suddenly turned and took off. Fortunately, this time I had the camera biased in the direction he went, and the combination of my reaction and shutter lag was just fast enough to take a photo while he was still in the frame. So, for this photo focusing was easy - the hard part was tripping the shutter in time.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo