Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Old School House
Lens: Tamron 17-50 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: rural Saskatchewan ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: johnyates, 04-08-2019, 01:22 AM

Just scored a Tamron 17-50 on eBay--took it out today to see what it can do. Seems to be a nice lens. Although winter seems to have finished here on the prairies, it's gonna be another few weeks before we see any signs of spring. I found this old school house on a muddy old grid road--had to do a bit of hiking to get close.

Views: 708
04-08-2019, 06:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Just scored a Tamron 17-50 on eBay--took it out today to see what it can do. Seems to be a nice lens. Although winter seems to have finished here on the prairies, it's gonna be another few weeks before we see any signs of spring. I found this old school house on a muddy old grid road--had to do a bit of hiking to get close.
Was worth the effort. Nice shot.
04-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent capture. I wonder, is this a Sepia based image? Thnx,

TT
04-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

very nice, thanks for posting! I have a soft spot for old school houses...

04-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks to all for the comments.
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I wonder, is this a Sepia based image?
It certainly looks that way, doesn't it? Actually, this time of year the prairie pallette is rather limited; there's dark brown earth, medium brown expired plant growth, desaturated yellow wheat stubble and blue sky. In this shot, the foreground is in shadow, hence the darkish sepia tones.
04-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Great pix. I'm in Manitoba and I was struck at how similar the old, one room schoolhouses in Manitoba, look like that one in Saskatchewan. I don't know for sure, but I wonder if there was a common design used for one room schoolhouses , in the prairie provinces back then ?
04-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No idea, Les. I've run across a few schoolhouses in my travels but I can't say I see any one common design.
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I was struck at how similar the old, one room schoolhouses in Manitoba, look like that one in Saskatchewan. I don't know for sure, but I wonder if there was a common design used for one room schoolhouses

12-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #8

Lovely photo.
I love the loneliness of the composition.
Thanks for sharing.
12-01-2019, 05:41 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love scenes like this, and you've done an excellent job capturing this one. Love the mood it evokes for me, too--the cold but beautiful solitude of the plains, the abandoned dreams of the old building contrasted with the wide open landscape beyond.. love it!