Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Abandoned railway
Lens: smc PENTAX-DA* 200mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: South of Wabuman ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: Grey Man, 04-08-2019, 11:11 PM

Hello!
This is part of an abandoned railway that branched off the CNR main line around mile 42 and went south to the Sundance and Keephills power plants. The track to Sundance is still used. I have no idea when the Keephills line stopped being used.

I have been exploring the world of black and white as well as some of the filtering processes in Photoshop Bridge. I like how the grain adds to the overall aged look. I also used a polarizer on the lens which brings out the clouds and the rocks around the tracks quite nicely.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 752
04-09-2019, 06:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like this a lot. Even though it depicts a scene in broad daylight - it's spooky for some reason. Very cool.

Jer
04-09-2019, 09:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks so much, and I agree with your "spooky" description! I was having fun with the grain filter and I was thinking the same thing, this old railway and the history, both plus and minus based on the time and situation. And yes, this was taken around noon!
04-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Grey Man Quote
Hello!
This is part of an abandoned railway that branched off the CNR main line around mile 42 and went south to the Sundance and Keephills power plants. The track to Sundance is still used. I have no idea when the Keephills line stopped being used.

I have been exploring the world of black and white as well as some of the filtering processes in Photoshop Bridge. I like how the grain adds to the overall aged look. I also used a polarizer on the lens which brings out the clouds and the rocks around the tracks quite nicely.
with the exception of heavily used tracks, all tracks tend to become weedy - certainly abandoned tracks do. Does B&W hide that effect?

04-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was just at a part of the track that was clean of weeds. I can't see B&W hiding that.