Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10 Likes  
In my backyard today
Posted By: photolady95, 04-09-2019, 07:31 PM

Thie Red-Shouldered Hawk was perched on top of my feeder post on the bird house that never had any birds nesting in it, it's falling apart now but birds use it as a perch. I was in my room, and could see smaller birds looked like they were diving down at something, so I got up and opened the curtins, and there he was chowing down on a snake. The birds I saw swooping at him were Blue Jays but they couldn't chase him away from his meal.

Thanks for looking!
Views: 474
04-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #16
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
A very well executed photograph. I am a bird lover to excess. We found a hawk's nest in one of our trees recently which can be a bit disturbing, since it means they have found an adequate food supply. An endless number of baby squirrels. . Mother Nature for ya, can be awesome and cruel at the same time.

Thanks so much for posting a wonderful viewing experience.

TT
You're welcome Tony. Glad you liked it. Mother nature provides for all living things, we can't stop them from eating but the hawks here, I've never seen them eat a baby squirrel as our squirrels never come out of the nest until their older, and are protected by the tall full leafed oak trees in our yard. In fact, the hawks seem to prefer moles, and as you see in this photo the Glass Lizard, and for some reason the Tit Mouse bird. One year the Tit Mouse stopped coming to the feeder because of the hawk continuing to swoop in a get a meal. Fortunately, they've started to come back.