Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
17 Likes  #1
In my backyard today
Lens: Pentax HD 55-300mm WR ED Camera: K-50 White Knight Photo Location: Backyard ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/640s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: photolady95, 04-09-2019, 07:31 PM

Thie Red-Shouldered Hawk was perched on top of my feeder post on the bird house that never had any birds nesting in it, it's falling apart now but birds use it as a perch. I was in my room, and could see smaller birds looked like they were diving down at something, so I got up and opened the curtins, and there he was chowing down on a snake. The birds I saw swooping at him were Blue Jays but they couldn't chase him away from his meal.

Thanks for looking!
Views: 1,853
04-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, this is a marvelous photo! I wish I could say I made this shot.

Jer
04-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
You recently had a marvelous shot too, Jer, I saw your Egret shots. But thanks for compliment on mine.
And I have a nesting pair that is here year round, so I have lots of opportunity to get a shot like this in my backyard even though I live in a city, small though it is, our house sits on two lots, with enough tall trees for them to be protected.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-09-2019 at 08:15 PM.
04-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is an amazing photo. Mowing helps reduce snakes. But, happily so do hawks.

04-10-2019, 02:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Red shouldered hawks are incredible flyers that are fun to see . Thanks for posting this great photo .
04-10-2019, 04:55 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
That is an amazing photo. Mowing helps reduce snakes. But, happily so do hawks.
Thanks for the compliment, and our yard doesn't get over grown so you can't see the ground where you walk but my oldest brother mowed the day before this happened so maybe he scared the snake out and caused the hawk to see him/her. This was not a poisonous snake though, it's Glass snake aka Glass Lizard, no legged thing.

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Red shouldered hawks are incredible flyers that are fun to see . Thanks for posting this great photo .
I have a pair that nests not far from the house, so I have an opportunity to get photos of them year around. You're welcome for the posting and thanks for the compliment.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-11-2019 at 01:30 AM.
04-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Great catch! For both you and the bird!

04-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mauri Quote
Great catch! For both you and the bird!
Thanks.
04-10-2019, 04:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is super cool!!!!
04-10-2019, 08:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is one great capture
04-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Thanks for the compliment, and our yard doesn't get over grown so you can't see the ground where you walk but my oldest brother mowed the day before this happened so maybe he scared the snake out and caused the hawk to see him/her. This was not a poisonous snake though, it's a Blue Indigo Racer.
40-years ago when I was in college I helped a landlord clean up a rental that was trashed in Iowa City The lawn was not mowed for probably 2-3 months. The grass was high. Every row I mowed the mower would ingest a black and gold striped garter snake. This was in Iowa City so the colors were appropriate. It was horrible and disgusting, and your photo reminded me of that - a hawk devouring a little snake. This is what spawned my observation about overgrown lawns, and hawks, in my reply.
04-11-2019, 01:28 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
This is super cool!!!!
Thanks for the compliment, I thought so too when I saw him/her eating.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
That is one great capture
Thanks EM.

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
40-years ago when I was in college I helped a landlord clean up a rental that was trashed in Iowa City The lawn was not mowed for probably 2-3 months. The grass was high. Every row I mowed the mower would ingest a black and gold striped garter snake. This was in Iowa City so the colors were appropriate. It was horrible and disgusting, and your photo reminded me of that - a hawk devouring a little snake. This is what spawned my observation about overgrown lawns, and hawks, in my reply.
I understood too, I lived in Arkansas for 20 years on the side of a mountain on 3 acres we had to keep mowed because of the copperheads. I was mowing one day and hit a patch of tall grass where a nest of these snakes were. I'm a firm believer of short grass.

I've also been informed the hawk wasn't eating a Blue Indigo racer but a Glass Snake also known as a Glass Lizard, these lizards have no legs, according to my source who sent me a PM to explain what it was the hawk was eating. It was hard to see what color the snake was and behind glass that I was shooting from even harder to tell which snake the hawk was eating.
04-11-2019, 01:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

excellent capture thanks !
04-11-2019, 01:37 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Paris Quote
excellent capture thanks !
Thanks for the compliment!
04-11-2019, 05:02 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A very well executed photograph. I am a bird lover to excess. We found a hawk's nest in one of our trees recently which can be a bit disturbing, since it means they have found an adequate food supply. An endless number of baby squirrels. . Mother Nature for ya, can be awesome and cruel at the same time.

Thanks so much for posting a wonderful viewing experience.

TT