Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
My Impression of Compression
Lens: DA* 300/4 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Brazosport College 
Posted By: Sailor, 04-14-2019, 05:11 PM

A week or two ago, I was at the Texas Sea Center photographing an egret with my DA* 300. When I walked to the parking lot, which contained only my car, I decided to experiment with the 300 for auto photography - something I do relatively frequently. I like the look of the photos (posted earlier), but I couldn't remember the term to describe it, which was driving me nuts until my car guy buddy, lesmore49, put me out of my misery by reminding me that the term is . . . . . "compression." Also, clackers suggested that I try the same experiments in a bigger space so that the car would be further separated from the background and thus better delineated from that background.

This cloudless afternoon, I drove over to the local college and its wide(er) open spaces and experimented further. Here are three example shots, featuring architectural backgrounds, that I converted to B&W. Later, I'll probably post some other color shots with "greener" backgrounds.

Jer

Views: 613
04-14-2019, 05:17 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Awesome! The compression and sepearation work really well, as does the black and white treatment.

We can easily get complacent - or too rigid, at least - in our focal length choices for various subjects and scenes. I know I do. These are great examples of why we should shake things up from time to time
04-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sharp, detailed and well toned.
04-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
A week or two ago, I was at the Texas Sea Center photographing an egret with my DA* 300. When I walked to the parking lot, which contained only my car, I decided to experiment with the 300 for auto photography - something I do relatively frequently. I like the look of the photos (posted earlier), but I couldn't remember the term to describe it, which was driving me nuts until my car guy buddy, lesmore49, put me out of my misery by reminding me that the term is . . . . . "compression." Also, clackers suggested that I try the same experiments in a bigger space so that the car would be further separated from the background and thus better delineated from that background.

This cloudless afternoon, I drove over to the local college and its wide(er) open spaces and experimented further. Here are three example shots, featuring architectural backgrounds, that I converted to B&W. Later, I'll probably post some other color shots with "greener" backgrounds.

Jer

Superb shots!!

04-14-2019, 10:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

These are really good photographs, Jer. Very nice 3D affect, composition and isolation of subject is exceptional and I like the B&W treatment.

If you don't mind I'm going to follow your your lead and give it a shot myself....parking my vehicle in an open area...a suitable distance from the background as per clackers' suggestion and using my longer telephoto lenses. I'm going to vary my F stops...see what if any differences in photos that I get. It will involve some experimentation and a bit of a learning process...but that's good for my old brain.

Over the years I've spent a lot of time at outdoor car shows...invariably using wide angle, normal (40 Limited , 50mm D FA F 1.4 and 50 Macro D FA F 2.8, 70 Limited, etc) and zooms..28-105, 18-135, 16-45, 35-105 A, etc...mostly because as you know, quarters are cramped and there are a lot of 'challenges' to be surmounted ... people traffic, lamp posts, etc. at the car shows . These wide angle to normal to portrait lenses work well in tight areas...and if something works reasonably well , I generally don't change.

Occasionally, but not often I've taken pics with telephotos, of automobilia out alone, mostly of abandoned iron rusting away in farm/ ranch fields, etc. But not so much of my own vehicles. Your excellent results have motivated me.

Les
04-15-2019, 07:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Awesome! The compression and sepearation work really well, as does the black and white treatment.

We can easily get complacent - or too rigid, at least - in our focal length choices for various subjects and scenes. I know I do. These are great examples of why we should shake things up from time to time
Thanks, Mike, for the very kind words.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Sharp, detailed and well toned.
Thank you, my friend.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Superb shots!!
Thanks much!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
These are really good photographs, Jer. Very nice 3D affect, composition and isolation of subject is exceptional and I like the B&W treatment.

If you don't mind I'm going to follow your your lead and give it a shot myself....parking my vehicle in an open area...a suitable distance from the background as per clackers' suggestion and using my longer telephoto lenses. I'm going to vary my F stops...see what if any differences in photos that I get. It will involve some experimentation and a bit of a learning process...but that's good for my old brain.

Over the years I've spent a lot of time at outdoor car shows...invariably using wide angle, normal (40 Limited , 50mm D FA F 1.4 and 50 Macro D FA F 2.8, 70 Limited, etc) and zooms..28-105, 18-135, 16-45, 35-105 A, etc...mostly because as you know, quarters are cramped and there are a lot of 'challenges' to be surmounted ... people traffic, lamp posts, etc. at the car shows . These wide angle to normal to portrait lenses work well in tight areas...and if something works reasonably well , I generally don't change.

Occasionally, but not often I've taken pics with telephotos, of automobilia out alone, mostly of abandoned iron rusting away in farm/ ranch fields, etc. But not so much of my own vehicles. Your excellent results have motivated me.

Les

Hey, Les - thanks a bunch. And, please, go experiment with this - I really enjoyed it. With the DA*300, which is very sharp even wide open, I varied lens openings from f/4 to f/8 - f/4 understandably gives the blurriest background - but on some shots I just preferred the pic at f/5.6 or f/8 for other reasons. I learned a lot doing this yesterday, so I'll do some shots of my 911 with 300, as well.

Jer
04-15-2019, 07:33 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice - I wouldn't have thought of using the DA*300 for that subject! Well done, Jer!
04-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Very nice - I wouldn't have thought of using the DA*300 for that subject! Well done, Jer!
Thanks, Rob. To be honest, when I first tried this at a different location (posted earlier), I'd been shooting wildlife and happened to have the 300 on the camera. A suggestion from Clackers, prompted me to do these.

Jer

04-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Rob. To be honest, when I first tried this at a different location (posted earlier),
I'd been shooting wildlife and happened to have the 300 on the camera. A suggestion from Clackers, prompted me to do these.
Still, it's worth experimenting sometimes - I have a photo of a mountain range taken with the DA*300 with the HD DA 1.4x TC. You wouldn't normally expect to take landscape photos at a 420mm focal length!
The DA*300 is optically magical. The reason I stopped using it was the AF is insanely slow and has a high tendency to hunt, while the DFA 150-450 is longer, focusses faster and hunts less (and has focus limiting). The DA*300 is a lot easier to hand hold and carry around, however.
04-17-2019, 06:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Still, it's worth experimenting sometimes - I have a photo of a mountain range taken with the DA*300 with the HD DA 1.4x TC. You wouldn't normally expect to take landscape photos at a 420mm focal length!
The DA*300 is optically magical. The reason I stopped using it was the AF is insanely slow and has a high tendency to hunt, while the DFA 150-450 is longer, focusses faster and hunts less (and has focus limiting). The DA*300 is a lot easier to hand hold and carry around, however.
Hey, Rob - I agree about experimenting. In the past, I would occasionally go out to shoot with a lens unlikely to be useful for what I was targeting - forced me to think differently. Maybe I should start doing that again once in a while.

BTW, my 300 - which I've only used on my K-1 - seems to focus quickly and resolutely, so I was surprised about your comments about "hunting". Maybe because my subjects are generally sedate, but the 300/K-1 is the first combo I've used over the years that allows me catch BIF. I don't shoot sports photography, so perhaps I don't encounter situations in which the lens can't perform well.

Jer
04-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those look pretty slick! You could shoot for car catalogs!
04-19-2019, 07:12 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Those look pretty slick! You could shoot for car catalogs!
Thanks much, Jerry.

Jer
04-20-2019, 04:25 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The focal length and use of monochrome worked out very well. It suits the aggressive look of the car. I like it.
04-21-2019, 06:43 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The focal length and use of monochrome worked out very well. It suits the aggressive look of the car. I like it.
Glad you like 'em and thanks for the kind words.

Jer
04-21-2019, 07:30 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, Rob - I agree about experimenting. In the past, I would occasionally go out to shoot with a lens unlikely to be useful for what I was targeting - forced me to think differently. Maybe I should start doing that again once in a while.

BTW, my 300 - which I've only used on my K-1 - seems to focus quickly and resolutely, so I was surprised about your comments about "hunting". Maybe because my subjects are generally sedate, but the 300/K-1 is the first combo I've used over the years that allows me catch BIF. I don't shoot sports photography, so perhaps I don't encounter situations in which the lens can't perform well.

Jer
Maybe I have a bad copy. Now that I have the DFA 150-450, I could send the DA*300 for maintenance.