Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
9 Likes  #1
Bombo Quarry
Lens: Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 Camera: K-3ii Photo Location: Bombo Quarry - NSW ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: jawsy, 04-17-2019, 03:06 AM

One of those situations where you make the most with what you've got.

Never been to Bombo before, probably won't get the chance to return. Woke up early, drove 30 mins in the dark, walked through some scrub in the dark, set up the tripod and camera in the dark on a sloped rock next to the channel, stuck an ND filter on, manually focused and hoped the clear sky didn't blow out the image.

Well, the sky did blow out (even with stacked filters), the swell was flat and the sun was concealed by featureless cloud in an otherwise annoyingly clear sky. Not much went the way I'd hoped. A few days later going through the 40 or so captures, it turns out the first one was the best one.

Working in the dark in a difficult spot, being able to set up the User Defined dial functions the night before makes a world of difference, eh?

Views: 939
04-17-2019, 06:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Excellent capture jawsy...the low cloud line keeps the attention on those rocks very nicely.
04-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good shot. Never heard of Bombo Quarry before. It obviously has great potential but you had to work for it!
04-17-2019, 04:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the image. Half the fun of getting an image is putting in the effort in the hope that everything comes together. It rarely does, but without your desire you would have nothing.

Nice work.

Stephen

04-18-2019, 03:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Good shot. Never heard of Bombo Quarry before
I first heard of Bombo when I worked in the railways; Bombo dust was a term used to describe fine crushed ballast used in the far central west wheat lines and Bombo supplied ballast for track works (still does I think from the quarry slightly further inland). This particular section is now preserved for geological reasons. I hadn't heard of this bit until my next door neighbor showed me a photo he took on a holiday. It's an interesting spot, but if you're going in dark, be organised and take a Maglight.
10-20-2019, 12:09 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote

Never been to Bombo before, probably won't get the chance to return. Woke up early, drove 30 mins in the dark, walked through some scrub in the dark, set up the tripod and camera in the dark on a sloped rock next to the channel, stuck an ND filter on, manually focused and hoped the clear sky didn't blow out the image.

Well, the sky did blow out (even with stacked filters), the swell was flat and the sun was concealed by featureless cloud in an otherwise annoyingly clear sky. Not much went the way I'd hoped. A few days later going through the 40 or so captures, it turns out the first one was the best one.

Working in the dark in a difficult spot, being able to set up the User Defined dial functions the night before makes a world of difference, eh?
Looks like a scene out of the movie Inception, at the deepest level of dreaming. Congrats with this scene.
10-20-2019, 12:45 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Bombo Quarry
A very powerful image in my book, reminiscent of some science fiction film set, maybe Mars or somewhere.

10-26-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely scene.
10-26-2019, 06:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
excellent! fantastic composition, color, light, and exposure.
10-26-2019, 10:14 PM   #10

Very cool shot. What ND filter did you end up using?
10-26-2019, 10:48 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I visited Bombo Quarry last weekend while the better half and her family where doing girl stuff in the Southern Highlands. Unfortunately I didn't get to choose my time of my visit (middle of the day) but at least the tide was high and there was a bit of a swell so I had that going for me. The nearby sewerage treatment plant adds a unique element to the site especially when there's a westerly blowing.
10-27-2019, 02:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JTninja Quote
Very cool shot. What ND filter did you end up using?
This one was a 2 stop Cokin ND as it was still quite dark.

---------- Post added 27-10-19 at 20:24 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
The nearby sewerage treatment plant adds a unique element to the site especially when there's a westerly blowing.
I was blessed with a gentle easterly breeze!
07-11-2021, 07:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beautiful shot!
07-11-2021, 07:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Nice shot. Beautiful scene.
07-11-2021, 08:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Awesome image. Yes, it also has already happened to me that the first attempt in many tries was in fact the best despite all my attempts at "improving" it.