Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Forillon Nat'l Park, Gaspé Peninsula, Québec
Lens: FA 80-320 mm f/4.5 Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: Gaspé, QC 
Posted By: RICHARD L., 04-18-2019, 08:59 AM

Forillon Nat'l Park is separated in 2 entities (the Northern portion with Cap Bon-Ami and the Southern portion pictured here). This old farmstead belonged to long-time residents who were expropriated and forced to leave their land so that it could become part of a Federal Park.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 531
04-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope they got a good price for it.

My place is similar. In the 70's Algonquin Park wanted to expand and level the entire town of Whitney. They were willing to offer market value. We bought our place for $130,000 but it's insured for $300,000 (replacement cost) we back onto crown land, we walk our dogs for 10 km a day, most of the time off leash without seeing another person. We tried to find a place like it for my step son. Basically, they aren't available at any price. The fact that it's only valued at $130,000 for tax purposes doesn't mean I could find a similar place for less than a million. We got lucky. So I understand completely how these people feel. Based on my research in real estate around the province, I'd want at least $750,000 for my place. I have no doubt, if it was expropriated I wouldn't get $200,000, because I'd want a similar situation to what I have, not a similar dollar value for the house.

Expropriation is just a way of circumventing having to pay what the property is worth to the owners. I'm always sad to hear it's been used. That is an absolutely gorgeous property. I have no doubt the owners were robbed.There are features there that are beyond price. Just imagine waking up there every morning.
04-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many National Parks in Canada were unfortunately "robbed" from their rightful owners. Remember the saga of Kouchibouguac Park in New Brunswick ? They made these people die from sorrow ...
04-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shot. It would have been a beautiful place to live. I am sure the previous owners would not have wanted to leave.

04-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A sad tale, but at wonderful photo. Beautifully done.

Jer