Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Tilted sedimentary strata.
Lens: 35mm f2.4 Camera: K70 Photo Location: NW Tasmania. 
Posted By: Terry C, 04-19-2019, 10:35 PM

Much of the NW of Tasmania, shows signs of massive earth movement millions of years ago.
This is about one kilometre from the coastline.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 773
04-20-2019, 01:55 AM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting geology. It is hard to imagine the forces that do it. But I have to say "That's nothing!" Apparently where I am is one of only two places in the world (the other being somewhere in the Mediterranean) where the strata have been stood vertically and folded back in a hairpin. The University of Queensland spent some time studying it a few years ago. The actual point of the fold is on the property next to us but I don't think it is visible at the surface.
04-20-2019, 05:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Interesting geology. It is hard to imagine the forces that do it. But I have to say "That's nothing!" Apparently where I am is one of only two places in the world (the other being somewhere in the Mediterranean) where the strata have been stood vertically and folded back in a hairpin. The University of Queensland spent some time studying it a few years ago. The actual point of the fold is on the property next to us but I don't think it is visible at the surface.
There plenty of vertical and twisted strata in Tasmania.
04-20-2019, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I have posted this before, but here it is again. Sea floor close to where I live in the NW of Tasmania.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
04-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Terry C Quote
Sea floor close to where I live in the NW of Tasmania.
We have vertical slate like that (I built a hearth for the fire place with it). But it is not that it is vertical but the 180 degree vertical fold that is supposed to be unusual. Apparently it runs for tens of kilometres.

Last edited by PJ1; 04-20-2019 at 02:49 PM.