Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Tawny Frogmouth
Lens: DA 55-300 PLM Camera: K3 Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/13s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: RobG, 04-21-2019, 05:28 AM

The Tawny Frogmouth is actually a very large member of the Nightjar family. It's not an owl! This one was looking for dinner at Mulligan's Flat Nature Reserve in Canberra. Nightjars are usually much smaller than this bird - the Frogmouth as the size of an owl, while a Nightjar is usually about a third of that size.



Tawny Frogmouth
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 781
04-21-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 24,091
Outstanding, Rob!

Jer
04-21-2019, 07:34 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,584
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Outstanding, Rob!
Thanks Jer! I only discovered afterwards how slow the shutter speed was. I certainly could have under exposed it a bit more to get a little faster on the shutter.
04-21-2019, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,308
Great capture! Very interesting how the feathers lay over its beak.

04-21-2019, 07:44 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,584
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Great capture! Very interesting how the feathers lay over its beak.
During the day, they use their camouflage to pretend to be a broken branch, and the feathers help that impression. At night, I suspect that it helps them feel prey close to their mouth so they can turn and grab it.
04-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 24,091
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Thanks Jer! I only discovered afterwards how slow the shutter speed was. I certainly could have under exposed it a bit more to get a little faster on the shutter.
I didn't notice the shutter speed. You gotta have nerves of steel! I've said it before, buddy - you 'da man.

Jer
04-22-2019, 07:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian
pete-tarmigan's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Conception Bay South, New-fun-land
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,261
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
The Tawny Frogmouth is actually a very large member of the Nightjar family. It's not an owl! This one was looking for dinner at Mulligan's Flat Nature Reserve in Canberra. Nightjars are usually much smaller than this bird - the Frogmouth as the size of an owl, while a Nightjar is usually about a third of that size.
Yes, they seem to be able to rotate their heads as much as an owl and nocturnally hunt vertebrates, although they don't have the talons of an owl. Order: Camprimulgiformes, Family: Podargidae (nightjars are Caprimulgidae).

04-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Cee Cee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Glenroy, Melbourne
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,442
great capture Rob, cheers
04-22-2019, 05:01 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,584
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I didn't notice the shutter speed. You gotta have nerves of steel! I've said it before, buddy - you 'da man.
I wish, but thanks!


QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Yes, they seem to be able to rotate their heads as much as an owl and nocturnally hunt vertebrates, although they don't have the talons of an owl. Order: Camprimulgiformes, Family: Podargidae (nightjars are Caprimulgidae).
Yes, the nightjars hunt with their bill and owls hunt with their talons. There's nightjars elsewhere in the world, but not the size of owls. We also have nightjars in Australia which are similar to those elsewhere.


QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
great capture Rob, cheers
Thank you!
04-22-2019, 07:01 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 14,433
Very excellent work. I had no idea these birds existed. I believe you have the proper settings and hey, look at that awesome bokeh. Thanks so much for sharing.

TT
04-23-2019, 09:10 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
RobG's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canberra
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,584
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Very excellent work. I had no idea these birds existed. I believe you have the proper settings and hey, look at that awesome bokeh. Thanks so much for sharing.
Thanks Tony! A lot of Australians don't know that they exist either! I'm really impressed with the 55-300 PLM optically. I was uncertain about it when I tried it in Tokyo, but I'm a convert now. It's much easier to carry than the DFA 150-450 and still gives good results. Of course in good light, the DFA 150-450 is superior in reach and every respect other than weight.
04-24-2019, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian
pentax360's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: OR
Posts: 390
Very cool, there's a nighthawk that flies over my neighborhood.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, frogmouth, owl, photo, size
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baby Tawny Frogmouth Kombivan Monthly Photo Contests 0 03-06-2018 08:07 PM
Tawny Frogmouth mark w Monthly Photo Contests 2 02-02-2015 04:30 PM
Nature Tawny Frogmouth's Flat Black Post Your Photos! 15 09-07-2013 04:44 PM
tawny frogmouth & cat hooppjs Post Your Photos! 4 04-06-2009 11:25 PM
Tawny Frogmouth - Australia Zoo dosdan Post Your Photos! 4 01-25-2009 04:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top