Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Thieving Blue Jays II
Lens: Pentax-DA 55-300mm PLM Camera: Pentax KP ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: reh321, 04-21-2019, 12:57 PM

I found a bag of peanuts in a closet recently, so I saved them as an Easter treat for the squirrels. There is a "concert" at the nearby fairgrounds, and that seems to have scared most of the wildlife away, so in the 30 minutes I sat on the deck, only a couple of Blue Jays were willing to risk it, and they just grabbed and flew. I was trying to get portraits, but by cropping each photo by 50% linear dimensions, I was able to get two BIF {that is the reason for the odd framing of the first one - he was just barely in the frame at all}

Attached Images

Views: 407
04-21-2019, 09:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots of one of my favorite birds.
04-22-2019, 12:20 AM   #3
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice flight shots.

I have the Blue Jays do this in my backyard too but I've also seen the come down and pick up one, only to drop it, and pick another before flying off, gives me a chance to get a portrait shot of one with peanut in beak shot. Perhaps if you put yours on the ground like I do, you'd get a portrait shot.
04-24-2019, 09:07 PM   #4
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joelbolden Quote
Nice shots of one of my favorite birds.
Thank you for your comment - I might like them better if they kept their mouths shut.

04-24-2019, 09:13 PM   #5
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Nice flight shots.
Thank you - but frankly, there was a lot of luck involved.

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I have the Blue Jays do this in my backyard too but I've also seen the come down and pick up one, only to drop it, and pick another before flying off, gives me a chance to get a portrait shot of one with peanut in beak shot. Perhaps if you put yours on the ground like I do, you'd get a portrait shot.
Actually, the first shot was of one who did pick the peanut off the ground, but he did so with his back to me {the sun was behind me, so I'm not sure whether he was avoiding me or avoiding the sun}. I had the camera aimed at him with the shutter button half pressed, waiting for him to turn around, but he turned and took off in one motion - and in the time it took me to finish pressing the shutter button he flew to the upper right corner of my frame.
04-24-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice job capturing these birds in flight! I have Scrub Jays in my yard, and they are very explosive flyers. I can't tell you how many misses I have had attempting to photograph them. The shot I am still attempting is when they come in like a bowling ball and scatter the doves like bowling pins. I would love to capture that action!
04-26-2019, 09:57 PM   #7
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Nice job capturing these birds in flight! I have Scrub Jays in my yard, and they are very explosive flyers. I can't tell you how many misses I have had attempting to photograph them. The shot I am still attempting is when they come in like a bowling ball and scatter the doves like bowling pins. I would love to capture that action!
Our Blue Jays do the same kind of thing with the same effect; taking photos of that would be fascinating, but photographing it would be complicated because you'd have to see the situation developing to know the 'when' and 'where' - takeoff is easier because you know the 'where' and you usually don't have to wait very long for the 'when'. The only bird I've seen stand up to them was a Red-Winged Black Bird.
04-27-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice work. I wish we had more of these birds at our place. Every morning it is a contest between squirrels, crows and robins as to who gets to keep and eventually consume peanuts. And a few seeds. )

Thnx for posting. TT

Last edited by Tonytee; 04-29-2019 at 07:25 PM.
04-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #9
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Very nice work.
Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I wish we had more of these birds at out place. Every morning it is a contest between squirrels, crows and robins as to who gets to keep and eventually consume peanuts. And a few seeds. )

Thnx for posting. TT
Blue Jays are related to crows - their behavior is equally obnoxious and their "song" is equally awful. The only thing we gain is that they are more attractive if they keep their mouths shut.

Our Blue Jays seems to get to peanuts first - perhaps they have a better view. The robins tend to stay out of those contests.