Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Back from Japan
Posted By: Astro-Baby, 05-05-2019, 03:03 AM

Hi,

I just took three weeks out in Japan. Amazing place and totally smitten myself - could probably bore you all to death with tales of derring do. We were mostly walking the Nakasendo which included being caught in a blizzard - unexpected late snow. What a riot as I skidded off the track and rolled about 40' down a hill

On the city side managed to bag myself a long wanted Nikon F at what I considered a fair price - don't let anyone tell you cameras are cheap in Japan though - I spent a day cruising shops in Tokyo and found the prices for the most part pretty steep for a lot of untested gear and in some cases very expensive. Apparently camera collecting/repair has become something of a big hobby in Japan and unsurprisingly prices have gone up. Worst one I saw was a very clapped out Minolta SRT Super for £200 body only untested best price a Pentax M Super for free in a bargain bin - but of you saw the condition it was you'd understand why it was free. Looked like it had been recovered from the ocean floor after 20 years.
Anyway down a small backstreet I found a little old dusty shop and in there the nice man actually had some nice Nikons at reasonable prices. I didn't bargain as much as I would normally as my feet was tired and TBH I was kind of Pentax'd and Nikon'd out - heading to the zone where if I never saw another camera it might be too soon. After a somewhat cursory look and damning my own impulsiveness I parted with some yen and took the box. Finally got to test it out yesterday and hola - its a full on runner, working meter and clean as a whistle.

Holiday snaps - though forum users might like to see this from the Natural History and Science Museum - its FUJIC from 1956 - Japans first electronic computer designed and built by Fujica for calculating lens design data.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ70  Photo 

Views: 1,124
05-05-2019, 04:50 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As the Sticky in General Talk says: no Photography. I've moved your thread to the correct forum, General Photography
05-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Whoops - thanks - I wasn't too sure on this so thanks for the heads up.
05-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're welcome. Hope you had a good time in Japan.

05-10-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was awesome - thanks
05-12-2019, 01:48 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I got to thinking about this move. And actually, it could have fit in Post Your Photos too. You would have gotten more exposure there than here. If you want me to, I can now move it there.

You don't just have to put a photo up, you can explain why you put the photo up, just like you did here. Members on Post Your Photos do it all the time.
05-12-2019, 03:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Do they allow tripods in the museum?

05-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes the wouldn't have minded. Just no flash.

The Edo Museum was amazing - the models/dioramas they had of what Edo (now Tokyo) would have looked like were just a killer. Hundreds of figures all in everyday poses. The layouts were very large and had opera glasses so you could scan across the whole layout and look at Samurai quarrelling, women hafggling the price of rice, street vendors selling wares - unfortunately the light was very dim for these and without a tripod none of the stuff I shot was up to much.

Photolady - yes please - move the post there if you think its best. I shall leave it up to you as you will doubtless exercise better judgement

Mel
05-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Now you should get more comments. I moved you to the Post Your Photos forum and you're at the top of the page.