Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12 Likes  #1
1937 BMW 328 Roadster - An Art Deco Classic
Lens: DFA 28-105@31 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Seabrook, TX ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Sailor, 05-05-2019, 05:25 PM

Here's a photo of a truly sublime, pre-war BMW classic. I saw one of these many years ago at a concours in Palo Alto, and I thought I'd never see one again. Amazingly, this gorgeous example appeared this weekend - almost in my backyard - at the 2019 Keels and Wheels concours d'elegance at the Lakewood Yacht Club in Seabrook, TX (very close to the Waterford Harbor Yacht Club where we docked our sailboats Watch Glass and then Cut Time for 19 years).

Jer


Views: 827
05-05-2019, 10:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,440
What a wonderful capture of a truly lovely and exciting machine. Excellent angle and thanks for sharing. Great job.

TT
05-06-2019, 03:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian
kyricom's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 569
.

*drool*



.
05-06-2019, 04:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,727
Nicely represented Sailor...fine image of a stunning vehicle.

05-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 14,951
Oh, my... that is such a beautiful piece of machinery. A real work of art, and what a stunning restoration job by (or on behalf of) the owner.

Fantastic photo, Jer. You really did this justice
05-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,298
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
What a wonderful capture of a truly lovely and exciting machine. Excellent angle and thanks for sharing. Great job.

TT
Thanks, my friend.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by kyricom Quote
.

*drool*

.
Indeed!!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
Nicely represented Sailor...fine image of a stunning vehicle.
Thanks very much!!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Oh, my... that is such a beautiful piece of machinery. A real work of art, and what a stunning restoration job by (or on behalf of) the owner.

Fantastic photo, Jer. You really did this justice
Many thanks, Mike.

Jer
05-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 49,403
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
An Art Deco Classic
Now that's a thing of beauty...
05-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mississippi, USA
Posts: 3,256
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Here's a photo of a truly sublime, pre-war BMW classic. I saw one of these many years ago at a concours in Palo Alto, and I thought I'd never see one again. Amazingly, this gorgeous example appeared this weekend - almost in my backyard - at the 2019 Keels and Wheels concours d'elegance at the Lakewood Yacht Club in Seabrook, TX (very close to the Waterford Harbor Yacht Club where we docked our sailboats Watch Glass and then Cut Time for 19 years).

Jer

An absolutely fabulous work of automobile art! I love the low luster (probably authentic) paint on the machine. Great capture, Jer!!

05-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,298
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Now that's a thing of beauty...
It is that, my friend. It definitely is that.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
An absolutely fabulous work of automobile art! I love the low luster (probably authentic) paint on the machine. Great capture, Jer!!
I appreciate the kind words, Larry.

Jer
05-08-2019, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 6,916
What a strikingly good looking roadster and as you say Jer, it has that Art Deco look that I think makes this design timeless. It looks exceptional now, as it did in the late 1930's. I've never seen one...in the flesh...before, but I'm sure if I come across one, it would be a car that I could spend a lot of time looking at it, just taking it all in. I like the angle you chose to photograph. It really captures the flow of the lines of this car.

About a month ago I bought a new (old stock) Ricoh GR ll. I bought it because being an avid photographer over the years I've constantly told myself...and without success... to always have a camera on hand. There have been many a time, when I'm come across a scene I've wanted to to record...but generally I've forgotten to bring a camera. Mostly because my DSLR's are too bulky for everyday carry duties. In the past , during the film days, I carried my small vintage Leica rangefinder, later a clamshell Olympus, then in digital days I sometimes used my Canon G 12. However I didn't carry any of them regularly.

The Ricoh GR ll however so far seems to be something I do carry. It's very small, tinier than the other cameras mentioned, has a very sharp, fixed 28mm F 2.8 lens and uses a large (for it's size) ASP-C sensor. I think the sensor is the same one that is in my K5 DSLR. A mighty mite, as I refer to it.

My hope is, that if I ever come across a similar BMW as the one you photographed...I'll be ready with the GR ll in hand.

Les
05-09-2019, 05:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,298
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
What a strikingly good looking roadster and as you say Jer, it has that Art Deco look that I think makes this design timeless. It looks exceptional now, as it did in the late 1930's. I've never seen one...in the flesh...before, but I'm sure if I come across one, it would be a car that I could spend a lot of time looking at it, just taking it all in. I like the angle you chose to photograph. It really captures the flow of the lines of this car.

About a month ago I bought a new (old stock) Ricoh GR ll. I bought it because being an avid photographer over the years I've constantly told myself...and without success... to always have a camera on hand. There have been many a time, when I'm come across a scene I've wanted to to record...but generally I've forgotten to bring a camera. Mostly because my DSLR's are too bulky for everyday carry duties. In the past , during the film days, I carried my small vintage Leica rangefinder, later a clamshell Olympus, then in digital days I sometimes used my Canon G 12. However I didn't carry any of them regularly.

The Ricoh GR ll however so far seems to be something I do carry. It's very small, tinier than the other cameras mentioned, has a very sharp, fixed 28mm F 2.8 lens and uses a large (for it's size) ASP-C sensor. I think the sensor is the same one that is in my K5 DSLR. A mighty mite, as I refer to it.

My hope is, that if I ever come across a similar BMW as the one you photographed...I'll be ready with the GR ll in hand.

Les
Thanks, Les. I intentionally brought my K-1/DFA 28-105 to the concours - ideal for this sort of thing, but having a camera at hand is always a good thing. I'm very pleased with the camera in my iPhone Xs, so much so, I'm planning to leave my travel camera (Panasonic LX100) at home when we travel to Connecticut next week to see our "kids" and granddaughter. We'll see how that works out.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 05-09-2019 at 10:01 AM.
10-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: 43.670399, -92.974831
Photos: Albums
Posts: 285
What a treat to get to see one of these in person, and to snap a great photo of it to boot! I only had a film camera when I went to my first real car show at the Imperial Palace in Las Vegas. I don't think I saw anything like this back then. I wonder if I kept the negatives...
10-12-2019, 03:25 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,433
A rarity shared is truly generous .
10-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 22,298
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reality_Check Quote
What a treat to get to see one of these in person, and to snap a great photo of it to boot! I only had a film camera when I went to my first real car show at the Imperial Palace in Las Vegas. I don't think I saw anything like this back then. I wonder if I kept the negatives...
I was very fortunate to come upon this fine example - that's for sure.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
A rarity shared is truly generous .
Thanks for the very kind words.

Jer
10-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 34,631
Aerodynamics at it's best.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
art deco, bmw, bmw 328 roadster, camera, classic, club, concours, photo, roadster an art, yacht
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Machinery A Hint of Art Deco Dewman Post Your Photos! 9 10-21-2017 08:55 PM
Abstract New Art Deco. Tonytee Post Your Photos! 2 06-26-2016 04:53 PM
Abstract Rose Art Deco eaglem Post Your Photos! 2 12-23-2013 03:44 PM
Landscape Art Deco, Hoover Dam GeoJerry Post Your Photos! 11 03-15-2013 09:28 AM
Machinery Art Deco steam engine in action Ian Tokeo Post Your Photos! 12 10-20-2009 06:40 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:54 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top