Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12 Likes  #1
1937 BMW 328 Roadster - An Art Deco Classic
Lens: DFA 28-105@31 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Seabrook, TX ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Sailor, 05-05-2019, 05:25 PM

Here's a photo of a truly sublime, pre-war BMW classic. I saw one of these many years ago at a concours in Palo Alto, and I thought I'd never see one again. Amazingly, this gorgeous example appeared this weekend - almost in my backyard - at the 2019 Keels and Wheels concours d'elegance at the Lakewood Yacht Club in Seabrook, TX (very close to the Waterford Harbor Yacht Club where we docked our sailboats Watch Glass and then Cut Time for 19 years).

Jer

Views: 827
05-05-2019, 10:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a wonderful capture of a truly lovely and exciting machine. Excellent angle and thanks for sharing. Great job.

TT
05-06-2019, 03:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

*drool*

05-06-2019, 04:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nicely represented Sailor...fine image of a stunning vehicle.

05-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, my... that is such a beautiful piece of machinery. A real work of art, and what a stunning restoration job by (or on behalf of) the owner.

Fantastic photo, Jer. You really did this justice
05-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
What a wonderful capture of a truly lovely and exciting machine. Excellent angle and thanks for sharing. Great job.

TT
Thanks, my friend.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by kyricom Quote

*drool*

Indeed!!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
Nicely represented Sailor...fine image of a stunning vehicle.
Thanks very much!!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Oh, my... that is such a beautiful piece of machinery. A real work of art, and what a stunning restoration job by (or on behalf of) the owner.

Fantastic photo, Jer. You really did this justice
Many thanks, Mike.

Jer
05-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
An Art Deco Classic
Now that's a thing of beauty...
05-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Here's a photo of a truly sublime, pre-war BMW classic. I saw one of these many years ago at a concours in Palo Alto, and I thought I'd never see one again. Amazingly, this gorgeous example appeared this weekend - almost in my backyard - at the 2019 Keels and Wheels concours d'elegance at the Lakewood Yacht Club in Seabrook, TX (very close to the Waterford Harbor Yacht Club where we docked our sailboats Watch Glass and then Cut Time for 19 years).

Jer

An absolutely fabulous work of automobile art! I love the low luster (probably authentic) paint on the machine. Great capture, Jer!!

05-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Now that's a thing of beauty...
It is that, my friend. It definitely is that.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
An absolutely fabulous work of automobile art! I love the low luster (probably authentic) paint on the machine. Great capture, Jer!!
I appreciate the kind words, Larry.

Jer
05-08-2019, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

What a strikingly good looking roadster and as you say Jer, it has that Art Deco look that I think makes this design timeless. It looks exceptional now, as it did in the late 1930's. I've never seen one...in the flesh...before, but I'm sure if I come across one, it would be a car that I could spend a lot of time looking at it, just taking it all in. I like the angle you chose to photograph. It really captures the flow of the lines of this car.

About a month ago I bought a new (old stock) Ricoh GR ll. I bought it because being an avid photographer over the years I've constantly told myself...and without success... to always have a camera on hand. There have been many a time, when I'm come across a scene I've wanted to to record...but generally I've forgotten to bring a camera. Mostly because my DSLR's are too bulky for everyday carry duties. In the past , during the film days, I carried my small vintage Leica rangefinder, later a clamshell Olympus, then in digital days I sometimes used my Canon G 12. However I didn't carry any of them regularly.

The Ricoh GR ll however so far seems to be something I do carry. It's very small, tinier than the other cameras mentioned, has a very sharp, fixed 28mm F 2.8 lens and uses a large (for it's size) ASP-C sensor. I think the sensor is the same one that is in my K5 DSLR. A mighty mite, as I refer to it.

My hope is, that if I ever come across a similar BMW as the one you photographed...I'll be ready with the GR ll in hand.

Les
05-09-2019, 05:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
What a strikingly good looking roadster and as you say Jer, it has that Art Deco look that I think makes this design timeless. It looks exceptional now, as it did in the late 1930's. I've never seen one...in the flesh...before, but I'm sure if I come across one, it would be a car that I could spend a lot of time looking at it, just taking it all in. I like the angle you chose to photograph. It really captures the flow of the lines of this car.

About a month ago I bought a new (old stock) Ricoh GR ll. I bought it because being an avid photographer over the years I've constantly told myself...and without success... to always have a camera on hand. There have been many a time, when I'm come across a scene I've wanted to to record...but generally I've forgotten to bring a camera. Mostly because my DSLR's are too bulky for everyday carry duties. In the past , during the film days, I carried my small vintage Leica rangefinder, later a clamshell Olympus, then in digital days I sometimes used my Canon G 12. However I didn't carry any of them regularly.

The Ricoh GR ll however so far seems to be something I do carry. It's very small, tinier than the other cameras mentioned, has a very sharp, fixed 28mm F 2.8 lens and uses a large (for it's size) ASP-C sensor. I think the sensor is the same one that is in my K5 DSLR. A mighty mite, as I refer to it.

My hope is, that if I ever come across a similar BMW as the one you photographed...I'll be ready with the GR ll in hand.

Les
Thanks, Les. I intentionally brought my K-1/DFA 28-105 to the concours - ideal for this sort of thing, but having a camera at hand is always a good thing. I'm very pleased with the camera in my iPhone Xs, so much so, I'm planning to leave my travel camera (Panasonic LX100) at home when we travel to Connecticut next week to see our "kids" and granddaughter. We'll see how that works out.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 05-09-2019 at 10:01 AM.
10-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What a treat to get to see one of these in person, and to snap a great photo of it to boot! I only had a film camera when I went to my first real car show at the Imperial Palace in Las Vegas. I don't think I saw anything like this back then. I wonder if I kept the negatives...
10-12-2019, 03:25 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A rarity shared is truly generous .
10-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reality_Check Quote
What a treat to get to see one of these in person, and to snap a great photo of it to boot! I only had a film camera when I went to my first real car show at the Imperial Palace in Las Vegas. I don't think I saw anything like this back then. I wonder if I kept the negatives...
I was very fortunate to come upon this fine example - that's for sure.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
A rarity shared is truly generous .
Thanks for the very kind words.

Jer
10-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aerodynamics at it's best.