Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

New Images
Posted By: davemdsn, 02-28-2007, 10:35 PM

OK, I am sold on the v1.0 of Lightroom. These were shot on a K10 with a Vivitar 285HV through a home made soft box behind the subject, slightly right on the second image. No post processing except Lightroom, which did the RAW conversion, reduced the size and added the copyright. Mere seconds from shooting to posting.

Views: 2,787
03-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
OK, here are some shots of the DIY softbox and some explaination....

This is the set up for the book shot with a ceiling bounced fill light added so you can see it.

This is an overview of the softbox, which is made from the cardboard from a shipment of prints from by good friends at White House Custom Color, some electrical tape and a piece of white sheet.

And a somewhat inside view showing the aluminum foil I used to get the most light output I could.

The hole fits over the front of the flash with a little additional tape to hold it level, which I did not worry about in the book shot. I intend to make a prettier one in the near future with some modifications in the design.

Things that will change in the next build...
Thinner cardboard, maybe even heavy card stock.
Painted inside so it doesn't tear so much.
Better attachment to flash.
Foldable.

03-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for showing this setup.

Foldable should be very interesting.

Bright white inside should give better light than aluminum foil. You might be able to achieve that with just the construction board/card stock.

What flash are you using?
So how are you triggering your flash setup?
03-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The flash in the softbox in this shot was a Vivitar 285HV with a cheap radio trigger. I have several flashes - Pentax 540fgz, Vivitar 285HV, Vivitar 283 (x2), and a K-Mart Focal brand. I work almost entirely in manual, even with the 540.